Missed the Boat!!!

medicalma'am

I just found out that a friend's husband MISSED THE BOAT out of Ketchikan this last Friday evening on a Holland America cruise!!! He JUST sat down and had a cup of coffee then the harbor master came out and expected, as usually happens, him to be raising cain about wanting a helicopter or boat to take him out. She was very surprised by his calm resignation to his fate. She arranged a flight to Victoria the next day and got him a hotel room. The airport was quite a problem as he had no passport, no luggage, is full of pins and screws from several accidents, so they made him strip down to his boxer shorts looking for all that metal. He finally did meet up with the ship.

The funny part is 'meanwhile back on the ship...' His wife took his formal night picture to dinner with her and explained to everyone what had happened. Then she went to a comedy show with the picture in tow. The comedian asked her what was up with the picture in the seat and she told her she didn't want to be without her husband even though he had missed the boat. Then the comedian goes into a 10 minute routine about it, keeping the place in stitches. THEN the land lubber husband calls on her cell phone. Of course, the comedian wanted to talk to him and he got the ribbing of a lifetime. The audience loved it. My friend is a hilarious, outgoing, partying fun gal. She told EVERYONE on that ship she came across that when the gentleman (Clint) got back on the ship, that they were to welcome him back and ask him about the accommodations in Ketchikan. He couldn't get over how nice people were to him the next two days and how they seemed to know all about his extended excursion!!!

I laughed until I cried hearing about their adventures. They are safe at home again, he in Florida and she in Houston. Too bad when you have a long distance marriage and decide to take a nice cruise together and then she ends up all alone one night!!!!!

And they were seperate too at port for him to have missed the boat!? Maybe he learned to always be by her side! :)

Either way, points to your friend for proving that women are not always the late ones! :)

I've gone into a few ports all alone, leaving the wife on the ship to enjoy life in a more leisurely fashion. So, what was he doing that he missed it and how much did it cost them, any idea?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have seen drunks from Carlos & Charlies and Sr Frogs miss the ship and try and run after it with their huge plastic souvenir beer "yards" and sombraros flapping as they ran.

They had to arrange some smaller boat to catch up to the cruise ship.

I now make a point to watch the departure from Cozumel of my ship and other ships once I hear a ship blow the horn (If I am on the lido deck I make sure to look down at the pier). Loads of fun.

You friend's husband was not a resourceful as a couple of women on our ship. We on the stern as we were leaving Ketchikan when I noticed a tug following us out. It was keeping pace with us, then suddenly picked up steam and came up on the starboard side. I went around to look over the side to see what was going on... as two women with all their shopping bags we climbing aboard on the rope ladder hung over the side.

• 8 months later...

Archived