"Doors Off" Helicopter Tour?

Addictedtwo

I've done the doors off helicopter trip twice, although with Inter-Island Helicopters on Kauai on land-based trips there. Yes, it's windy. Yes, wear pants or capris. You might get a little wet since it's often rainy in the mountains in the Hawaiian Islands. I would have been definitely on the chilly side in shorts during the trip. I also had a windbreaker. We did the tour once in February, the second time in October.

And yes, it was one of the most exhilarating experiences of my life!

I've done the doors off helicopter trip twice, although with Inter-Island Helicopters on Kauai on land-based trips there. Yes, it's windy. Yes, wear pants or capris. You might get a little wet since it's often rainy in the mountains in the Hawaiian Islands. I would have been definitely on the chilly side in shorts during the trip. I also had a windbreaker. We did the tour once in February, the second time in October.

And yes, it was one of the most exhilarating experiences of my life!

Thank you!

Aloha, We just got back from our vacation and did the helicopter tour in Kauai with Air Kauai with doors on---it rained and were told by the pilot that the trade winds are sometimes pretty rough--I personally liked being dry and protected from the winds. The experience was AWESOME and couldn't imagine it could get any better.

I highly recommend Air Kauai--the check in process with quick and painless and they are located right there at the airport. Again, this was the highlight of our trip--it was AMAZING--words cannot explain how wonderful the experience was.

Has anyone done this tour with the doors off, I'd like to know how windy it would be? it's offered by paradisecopters.com thanks.

I just got back from Kauai and did a Heli Tour too!. No question Heli is the only way to see some some of the sights and on Kauai an absoluate must do like the OP said as well!

I'm told it is less of a value/adventure on the other Islands once you've experienced Kauai this way, but YMMV.

The only reason I can think you'd want the aggrivation of wind, water, and temperature of doors off is that you simply can't tolerate the glare of the glass for photo's, or maybe its because you like the feel of sticking your head out of the tour bus as part of the adventure too :D :D

I just got back from Kauai and did a Heli Tour too!. No question Heli is the only way to see some some of the sights and on Kauai an absoluate must do like the OP said as well!

I'm told it is less of a value/adventure on the other Islands once you've experienced Kauai this way, but YMMV.

The only reason I can think you'd want the aggrivation of wind, water, and temperature of doors off is that you simply can't tolerate the glare of the glass for photo's, or maybe its because you like the feel of sticking your head out of the tour bus as part of the adventure too :D :D

Thanks, we've decided against the doors open, we originally thought for picture taking.

I did the tour with Inter Island in Kauai and it was fantastic. As others have said, it was windy and chilly when he went up to 4,000 feet to get to a location. Be sure to have a jacket.

I sat at the window seat in the rear on the right side of heli. The wind from the blades came in and would blow up my nose. At times I had to put my hand over my nose to stop the affect. My BIL was opposite me (behind the pilot) and he did not experience what was happening to me--he thought I was getting sick.

The open view looking out and down was fantastic. Great for taking photos/movies.

John L.

• 4 weeks later...

I loved the doors off feature, you got a 180 degree view of everything, and the air circulation was exhilirating! My husband was petrified and held on for dear life, but i thought it was amazing.

If anyone does this, wear pants, and a jacket, it was chilly, but you have so much more room and you can see everything instead of trying to take pics out of a small window, and banging your camera against the glass and you have the glare factor, so for picture quality, the doors off feature is the way to go, and i felt completely safe.

We also did a plane tour with Airventures on Kauai, very reasonable priced and comfortable too, but all my pics had window glare on them and i thought there was more turbulence in comparison to the heli tour. You are also taking pics thru a small window instead of being to lean out and zoom your camera where ever you want.

Go doorless,

it was great!

My son and I experienced the doorless helicopter tour and jungle landing with Inter-Island Helicopters on Kauai. I have an inordinate fear of heights and shortly after take-off started wondering, "What in heavens name was I thinking when I booked this excursion?"

That said, it was one of the most fascinating life experiences I have ever been fortunate enough to try and will absolutely, positively never do it again. It is a memory my son will share with me for his lifetime although he will most likely do it again if the opportunity presents itself.

Windy? Yes. At one point we were flying approximately 50-feet above a mountain plateau. Our pilot arches over the peak and all of a sudden we're looking down at a 2500-foot drop. My stomach launches itself into my throat as the wind shoots in from behind us. Flying wildly without doors, the wind catches the entire inside of the craft and forces us quite dramatically forward and downward. There's no way the pilot can have control and I'm certain we're going to crash into the mountain wall, mountain floor, mountain plateau or mountain rainforest. The operative words being 'mountain' and 'crash.' My life history fails to project itself in front of my eyes as I watch our craft gain altitude and steady its direction. "Thank goodness," I thought. Now I'll be able to continue living and regretting this sightseeing choice!

I highly recommend it...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived