What I'm looking for in a beach - please help!

kitty0218

Okay I know this topic has been exhausted but from what I've read so far, I can't seem to find any major differences between Dickenson and Runaway Bay. I've narrowed it down to these 2 since I believe they are the closest to port. Here is what I want in a beach:

- soft white sand and clear blue water (very scenic)

- no rocks on the bottom, just sand

- not too crowded

- place to rent beach chair/umbrella

- place to buy light food (sandwiches, etc) and drinks

- I am NOT into snorkelling so this is not important. I just like to wade in the water.

- not far from port

What do you guys suggest? I could always visit both but I'm trying to save in taxi fares and this is one of our last stops so I'm sure I will be running out of money by this point! And by the way, we don't have kids, it will just be myself and my boyfriend and we are in our 20s. Thanks!

Guys between November and May there are often more than one ship in port. Although we are three times the size of St. Martin and have considerably more beaches, I doubt you will find a beach that has all the things you are looking for that doesn't have loads of cruise passengers. That being said, I am sure you can find a nice bit of quiet beach over at Turners and probably at Runaway. The problem with Runaway is that you will not always find clear waters in the winter as we get ground swell at that time of the year making the waters slightly murky. Avoid Dickenson Bay at all costs. I can't understand why cruise passengers go there. If you do, you will have wasted a day in Antigua IMHO..

• 2 weeks later...

If your looking for a quiet beach with a bar and beach snack i recomend you check out turners beach. Although its not the closest, dickenson bay is usually quite crowded because of the new sandals resort and runaway is quite murky this time of year. Turners is convenient for snacks, drinks, bathroom facilities, shade, comfort and most importantly relaxation.

Having toured your island before we are looking just to "beach it" for the day. Turners Beach looks great, just questioning Jolly Beach and Valley Church Beach (which according to the map might be closer to the cruise ship) ? Is there a taxi service that is more reliable than another? We are looking for a vehicle that would be more apt to have seat belts than a safari vehicle (long story but was involved in an accident in the USVI necesitating us to fly home). How much time should we allow for the trip? Thank you for your help...............we just want to truly relax and enjoy our day with some food and drink !:D

Guys between November and May there are often more than one ship in port. Although we are three times the size of St. Martin and have considerably more beaches, I doubt you will find a beach that has all the things you are looking for that doesn't have loads of cruise passengers. That being said, I am sure you can find a nice bit of quiet beach over at Turners and probably at Runaway. The problem with Runaway is that you will not always find clear waters in the winter as we get ground swell at that time of the year making the waters slightly murky. Avoid Dickenson Bay at all costs. I can't understand why cruise passengers go there. If you do, you will have wasted a day in Antigua IMHO..

Why is it a wasted day? We loved Dickenson's Bay and had an incredible day there. I'd return in a heartbeat~! It actually sounds like the perfect beach for what the OP has requested. Absolutely gorgeous and the people were so friendly. Sneaky Pete's will always be remembered for the $4 rum punch with a kick!

• 3 weeks later...
Why is it a wasted day? We loved Dickenson's Bay and had an incredible day there. I'd return in a heartbeat~! It actually sounds like the perfect beach for what the OP has requested. Absolutely gorgeous and the people were so friendly. Sneaky Pete's will always be remembered for the $4 rum punch with a kick!

I absolutely agree... I'm picky and we loved Dickenson bay. We rented chairs, umbrellas, and jet skis by the 1/2 hour. There was plenty of water equipment, restaurants/bars, soft white sand beach, and quiet. It wasn't too crowded either.

We had "little John" as our taxi driver and he picked us up as planned and gave us a mini-tour of the island. I thought it was a great beach that is only about 15 minutes from the pier.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
If your looking for a quiet beach with a bar and beach snack i recomend you check out turners beach. Although its not the closest, dickenson bay is usually quite crowded because of the new sandals resort and runaway is quite murky this time of year. Turners is convenient for snacks, drinks, bathroom facilities, shade, comfort and most importantly relaxation.

Will be in Antigua in late January. What would be the best beach for snorkeling?

Archived