Hoonah: Our pictures in story form:

SEPyle

Thanks again for the positive comments! I just thought of something. It's such fun sharing our pics with people who can't get enough of Alaska! Let's face it: We all know people who just don't understand why we all love Alaska so much.:confused: They just don't get it do they? I know I'm guilty of checking out pictures of perfect strangers on this board and LOVING every minute of it!

Over the weekend I went thru the pictures I took while on the 6 hour Kenai Fjords tour out of Seward. As I look back I'm amazed at the spectacular scenery along the way. I added more pictures to the album and when I ended, I had 180 pictures!:eek: So if anyone really wants Alaska pics; take a peak. Don't say I didn't warn you though!

Southern Bell; you asked about whale watching while in port when visiting Juneau: I'm not sure if you mean whale watching in Juneau or flying to Hoonah. I've been whale watching in both places; and I do feel Hoonah opportunities have a higher percentage of whale sightings; but Junuea is known for whale watching too. If you are interested though in Hoonah; it's certainly a doable! Hope that helps!

Thanks again for the positive comments! I just thought of something. It's such fun sharing our pics with people who can't get enough of Alaska! Let's face it: We all know people who just don't understand why we all love Alaska so much.:confused: They just don't get it do they? I know I'm guilty of checking out pictures of perfect strangers on this board and LOVING every minute of it!

Over the weekend I went thru the pictures I took while on the 6 hour Kenai Fjords tour out of Seward. As I look back I'm amazed at the spectacular scenery along the way. I added more pictures to the album and when I ended, I had 180 pictures!:eek: So if anyone really wants Alaska pics; take a peak. Don't say I didn't warn you though!

Southern Bell; you asked about whale watching while in port when visiting Juneau: I'm not sure if you mean whale watching in Juneau or flying to Hoonah. I've been whale watching in both places; and I do feel Hoonah opportunities have a higher percentage of whale sightings; but Junuea is known for whale watching too. If you are interested though in Hoonah; it's certainly a doable! Hope that helps!

I thought I'd add this one album of photos I took earlier this month of Hubbard Glacier. The water was relatively clear of ice so the captain managed to get the Radiance remarkably close.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/567051621HSmuWx

Our whale watching in Juneau was with Orca Enterprises. They were immensely friendly and gave a good ride out to the whales. But nothing like yours.

I thought I'd add this one album of photos I took earlier this month of Hubbard Glacier. The water was relatively clear of ice so the captain managed to get the Radiance remarkably close.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/567051621HSmuWx

Thanks so much for sharing your pictures! It looks like you experienced some incredible calving from your picture #'s016_16 and 017_17!

Your pics of Hubbard Glacier sure brouht back great memories of our first two trips! On our first trip it was quite cold and some pretty steady rain too; but to be honest; we had a ball!

Thanks again!

Thanks so much for sharing your pictures! It looks like you experienced some incredible calving from your picture #'s016_16 and 017_17!

Your pics of Hubbard Glacier sure brouht back great memories of our first two trips! On our first trip it was quite cold and some pretty steady rain too; but to be honest; we had a ball!

Thanks again!

Our captain said it was his best experience ever at Hubbard. And yes there was more calving than we could count. Glad you liked the pictures.

Beth

Our captain said it was his best experience ever at Hubbard. And yes there was more calving than we could count. Glad you liked the pictures.

Beth

Beth, I can see why the captain said it was the best experience ever at Hubbard! Those two pics alone when the giant chunk calved prove that fact! Maybe that's why we all get addicted to Alasaka - it's impossible to do and see it all in one trip; repeat trips give you different experiences even doing the exact same thing!

You know I just realized a 'truth'...for me anyway. I mentioned that rainy (OK-miserable) day when we first visited Hubbard. What made that day so incredible was yes, it was the first glacier I was able to experience; however the magic that day was how much fun we had! Back in 2004 we had a great roll call for a Celebrity Century cruise. We've kept in touch since that cruise and one of the ladies (who has become a great long distance friend) came on the cruise to Alaska too. We told everyone back home we would be up on the bow of the ship at a certain time and to check in. By that time, we were...let's just say dressed for the weather. I looked a bit comical with a knitted scarf around my head that looked like I had a beard, and my friend had a bright yellow outer with a hood. I was Ms. Beard and she was Ms. Duckie... we simply had a ball! We had also met a great group of people thru another CruiseCritic Roll call, and some of them were up on the bow...and fun was in the air!

Again, thanks for taking me down memory lane!

Have a great day!

Sharon

I just got off the phone with a friend in Hoonah, and now my Alaska withdrawal is greater than ever! The only thing that brings me back to reality is the fact that the weather hasn't been super in September.

So for those of you who are headed for Icy Strait/Hoonah; I'm envious. I certainly wish we were in planning mode for Alaska next summer.:confused: My daughter who lives in Key West said her little one (17 months old) loves animals and is anxious to take her to Alaska...ummm 2010 would be a great goal wouldn't it??? Yes, I think I have a plan!

For those of you who are in planning mode now...ENJOY!

Archived