Packing snorkel gear question

alwalaska

We just purchased snorkel equipment for the first time and we are driving to the port so airline restrictions are not an issue:D .

So, how do you get your gear onboard the ship? There are 4 of us. Do you carry it on, trust your mesh duffel bag to the cruise ship luggage handlers, carry on just the mask and snorkel, put it inside hard sided luggage to better protect it, something totally different?

I would rather not carry all of it on since we like to get to the port early and won't have access to our room right away.

Much like a small hockey bag, but with wheels.

All of our snorkel equipment goes in this bag together. Most airlines will allow you to carry scuba or ski, or many other types of sporting equipment, like .... snorkel equipment of free. (one extra bag)

Has worked for us. :)

Much like a small hockey bag, but with wheels.

All of our snorkel equipment goes in this bag together. Most airlines will allow you to carry scuba or ski, or many other types of sporting equipment, like .... snorkel equipment of free. (one extra bag)

Has worked for us. :)

Is it a soft bag? I'm just worried about things getting broken. Since we aren't flying, we can check as much luggage as we want when we get to the ship.

Is it a soft bag? I'm just worried about things getting broken. Since we aren't flying, we can check as much luggage as we want when we get to the ship.

You can pack it in your bag. I place my snorkels down along the inside of my bag laying flat on the bottom. I take my mask and line the inside with my clean socks and put it in the middle of my shirts or t-shirts so it's packed in soft material. With the socks inside and the shirts outside I've never had a problem with my mask, even in the fabric duffle bag I use for my clothes. Masks are pretty tough.

Randall

You can pack it in your bag. I place my snorkels down along the inside of my bag laying flat on the bottom. I take my mask and line the inside with my clean socks and put it in the middle of my shirts or t-shirts so it's packed in soft material. With the socks inside and the shirts outside I've never had a problem with my mask, even in the fabric duffle bag I use for my clothes. Masks are pretty tough.

Randall

Thanks. That is good to know. Now all I have to do is wait for March to get here.:rolleyes:

Yes it is a soft bag. No problems on our last trip as we packed our towels etc. around things. I guess that you could get a hard side though.

We also like to take our snorkel gear because it is much easier than going through the rentals and taking precious time away from the vacation. We usually pack a canvas duffle with the snorkel items... with the masks wrapped in items of clothing to protect them. We do not have any special bags, we just use clothing as buffers. Have fun.. Cherie

Scuba shops (or on-line) will have hard plastic cases for masks, and then you can pitch them in any case.

I have a dedicated firm rolly-bag for dive gear, and somehow the hard cases still got cracked, but that was sending them through baggage at San Juan.

Enjoy your trip!

Wendy

Be careful if you pack your mask in a soft bag (this was a soft sided 22" roll on). We have been fortunate 4 out of 5 cruises but on the 5th, the mask's glass was shattered sometime after turning our bags in at the port and prior to receiving our bag in the cabin. We did pack the bag pretty tight but made sure no sharp items would jab the mask. My only assumption is that our bag was on the bottom of the pile and something heavy was thrown on top of it.

We did put in a claim while we were on the Caribbean Princess and had the cost of the mask credited before the cruise ended. Princess was kind enough to let us use one of their mask for free during the cruise.

Be careful if you pack your mask in a soft bag (this was a soft sided 22" roll on). We have been fortunate 4 out of 5 cruises but on the 5th, the mask's glass was shattered sometime after turning our bags in at the port and prior to receiving our bag in the cabin. We did pack the bag pretty tight but made sure no sharp items would jab the mask. My only assumption is that our bag was on the bottom of the pile and something heavy was thrown on top of it.

We did put in a claim while we were on the Caribbean Princess and had the cost of the mask credited before the cruise ended. Princess was kind enough to let us use one of their mask for free during the cruise.

Good point, don't put your mask in the "center" of your bag. I put mine on the far end of my bag where the stitching and support hold up better under a load.

Randall

Thanks for the warning.

Did you have travel insurance or was Princess just a stand-up company taking care of their customers?

Good point, don't put your mask in the "center" of your bag. I put mine on the far end of my bag where the stitching and support hold up better under a load.

Randall

Good point. I probably would have put it in the center thinking there would be more things around it, but you are right. Where there is more support and protection is a much better idea. Thanks.

Archived