Are we wrong to feel this way? Opinions, please.

CruiserVette

While understandable, your complaints about human nature have no place in a discussion of Carnival's ethics of pricing and handling of situations. If people come here looking for info, and instead are told they are a less-than-stellar human being because of their (very simple) questions, then who is being helped? No one. Not one person feels better, or knows more because of your judgment of their character. The whole point of CC is to help others, and those type of posts do nothing other than (perhaps) make YOU feel like you've "morally educated" us somehow. It's not true, it's not necessary, and it certainly isn't your place to say.

No one here is saying that we should trample victims of a storm in our hurry to fix our precious vacations. Therefore, no one here deserves the criticism you just described. What people are trying to discuss is whether Carnival's policies re: price adjustment for a hurricane-shortened cruise are fair. The problems of the people in the T&Cs, the Sudan, China, or Timbuktu have nothing to do with it.

Amen

Just what would make you happy a free cruise????

I'm just wondering what about the OP's post would give you that impression....especially considering this from the OP:

The passengers sailing from Galveston were offered a 50% refund and 50% future discount because their cruise was shortened to 3 days. Why weren't the Fantasy guests offered the same incentive? We also got a 3 day cruise!

Answer the question "No, I wouldn't feel the same way" or "Yes, I would feel the same way" or even "I wouldn't feel the same way, but understand how you feel." But the OP has said NOTHING to give anyone the impression he/she is looking for a free cruise.

You know darned well that if you were waiting 9 hours for a delayed flight' date=' they'd refund half your money, give you tickets for free meals, a huge discount off your next trip and spend the entire flight worrying about how mad you are.

[/quote']

Of course, this sarcasm might have more bite if your flight WAS your destination, WAS your vacation, but no, most people take flights to GET to their destination.

I guess I find it kind of amusing that when you were getting 25% when in fact you should have gotten 20% for missing 1 day out of 5, you had no problem. Now that you are missing 8 or so more hours, you feel entitled to 50%. I just don't understand your math. I also don't think you are entitled or will get anything else.

It's the same thing when the crew has immigration inspections and people can't board until late, albeit not as late as you, but they get zip,zero,nada. They aren't entitled any more than you are.

Thanks to everyone! I think Cherylandtk and Jetskier have given me the answer I was searching for. Thank you! We actually did spend 4 nights on the ship. Yes, the first night was very short, but it was a night. Kind of like a hotel...doesn't matter when you check in, if you sleep in the bed, you pay. Makes sense to me now. Sorry I got so many folks upset, that was not my intention. Nor was it my intention to imply that I was looking for something for free. As I stated in the original post, I was just curious as to how you would feel if you were in our shoes and felt as though your 4 day cruise became a 3 day cruise. Thanks again to everyone and I hope to see you on one of our future Carnival cruises.

We take a cruise at least once a year. Our last three have been with Carnival and we have enjoyed every one! We always book during hurricane season and Gustav was the first time we've had any trouble. We knew when we booked in March that we were gambling on the weather when we booked our 9/1 Fantasy cruise and take full responsibility for that gamble.

Like you said, you booked in the peak of hurricane season and took full responsibility for the gamble. The uncertainty and extra wait time that you experienced in Mobile on 09/03 were part of that gamble.

Carnival advertises their cruises based on the number of nights. In some ports like San Juan and Charleston, the ship won't even sail until 10pm or later but these passengers don't get to pay less than people doing cruises of similar length from other ports where the ship sails at 4pm.

Your cruise was shortened by one night, (even though you didn't depart until close to midnight). With that said, Carnival is refunding you 25% of your cruise fare even though your cruise was shortened by 20%

I believe that the 25% compensation is very fair and more than adequate. About the extra hours waiting, even though I bet it wasn't pleasant, it was part of the gamble that you took, and as you mentioned, you are responsible for...:)

Yes, I would feel the same. I think you should have rec'd 50% not 25%.

Short and-to-the point letters are much more effective than long, drawn out epistles. Write another letter, directing it to the CEO, saying the 25% is not acceptable to you. It IS the principle of the thing. Let us know if your persistence works.:)

Couldn't have said it any better . . . I totally agree with Cotton!

Fantasy 5 day cruise OV in Mar. [no hurricane danger]

$459.pp X 2= $918 / 5 = $183.60 per day

less 25% = $588.50 /4 = $ 172.13

PLUS

one more $918 cruise for $588.50, but 5 days /5 = $117.70

So 2 cruises totaling 9 days for $1177. /9 = $130.78

instead of 2 cruises totaling $1836. A savings of $659.00 for missing a day due to a storm. NO FAULT of the cruiseline that is dropping the $659.00.

That was all set and agreed to by both parties before the 9 hour delay. So how much MORE should the cruiseline give for 9 hours that was once again NOT their fault. And if the cruise left before midnight, which it did, instead of the normal 4PM. Then the WAIT was LESS than 8 hours. The OP's arrival time at the pier is irrelevant.

The price of the OP's cruise was more or less than the above figures but the ratio will be the same.

We all want to cruise on Carnival again and again but if we all want them to give away the store every time someone gets a hangnail, they will be history. Everyone that has cruised 10 years or more [ONLY 10 YEARS] can name a dozen cruiselines that ARE NO MORE. They were good, they were fun, they are gone.

Dan

I guess if I were in the same situation (which could happen since we are at the tail end of hurricane season), and I was given the option to cancel with a full refund or take the shorter trip, I would for sure cancel and take the full refund and book another cruise, especially if there was no airfare involved or if the airlines would let you change without penalty. At least that's my plan if we do encounter a similar problem. I'd rather reschedule than be miserable with a shortened trip over stormy seas.

You did take a gamble, and a full refund would have been no harm no foul. It's like any calculated risk in life - sometimes you get more than you bargained for, sometimes less. Glad that the trip was good for the most part.

Archived