upgrades

cruisenuts4life

I have only been on 3 cruises,2 royal caribbean 1 celebrity and never been upgraded.Just curious on when do they upgrade you.I always use travel agent is this something that they are supposed to do ?Also,I thought the sooner you book the prices are cheaper but I see that some say the prices come down and you would get cheaper prices.Is this just on Princess lines?

I have only been on 3 cruises,2 royal caribbean 1 celebrity and never been upgraded.Just curious on when do they upgrade you.I always use travel agent is this something that they are supposed to do ?Also,I thought the sooner you book the prices are cheaper but I see that some say the prices come down and you would get cheaper prices.Is this just on Princess lines?

Upgrades have always been a mystery. There is no way to tell if you will, or will not receive them. It is best to always book the category you will be happy and comfortable in just in case it is exactly where you end up for the cruise.

Princess still allows TA's to discount pricing, unlike some of the other lines, so normally you can get a much better price if you find a good discount TA instead of booking direct with princess.

When a ship has enough empty staterooms after final payment date, many times Princess will run what they call 'flash promotions'. Those already booked can not normally benefit from them, and they are usually for new bookings only. They are to get those staterooms sold that did not sell before final payment so the ships sail full.

So, sometimes you can get a better price if you wait, but if the sailing is selling well, the prices will do the opposite many times and do nothing but go higher and higher. So, there are a lot of factors that come into play here.

Upgrades are under the control of the Upgrade Fairy. No one understands how she works her magic. Upgrades are usually given after final payment is due.

If the price is lowered on a cruise BEFORE final ayment is due, your TA can usually get the lower price for you. Most price decreases after final payment are for new booking only.

The Upgrade Fairy is very fickle and may but probably won't upgrade you. Or, if you do get an "upgrade," it most likely would be the same cabin in a different location. Don't count on it and book the cabin you want.

TAs can discount prices on Princess cruises, unlike some other cruiselines, so they can get you a good price but they can't get you an upgrade. That's strictly up to the Princess Upgrade Fairy.

Generally speaking, the earlier you book, the lower the price you'll pay. Occasionally but not always since many Princess cruises sell out well in advance, there may be empty cabins after final payment at which time Princess will offer a flash promotion for new bookings only. But don't count on a flash promotion for the cruise you want to book and hold off booking thinking you can take advantage of the flash promotion. That happens only a few cruises, definitely not all. More often and more likely, the rates will go up.

Archived