17 weeks 'til our cruise........and I had to cancel

bubbles1209

I'm not exactly sure what this has to do with the OP??????? You have a 2nd and 4th grader, the OP has a JUNIOR in high school going for an advanced diploma and while she didn't indicate what grade her son was in, he is FAILING 2 of classes. Your children have absolutely nothing to do with why the OP cancelled. When your kids are MUCH older and perhaps have the same scenario as the OP, I'd be interested to hear if you'd REALLY pull them out of school then.

I was Defending th OP's decision to do what's best for her children from the other ppl out there with their unpleasant comments! My comparrison was to let everyone know that everyone does what they have to do, whether their kids are in Elementary School, High School, or grown up living at home at 35 years old. I am applauding the OP for her actions, not putting her down. ok? I NEVER have posted rude or unkind comments....I am a "Glass is half FULL person". Take care, and have a great day! Dave:)

I am sorry that you have to cancel! I have been in a situation of cancelling and also taking some time to not even plan a cruise due to family situations and i understand that even though you know that you are doing the RIGHT thing it is still DIFFICULT!

The Glory is a wonderful ship (my favorite cruise so far!) and you should have a wonderful time.

I also want to mention that i have 4 children and they are all so different from one another! One of my DD's had a really hard time with school. She is very smart but just did not "fit in" to the school mold. While she did not excel in HS she now has a great job where she is very well liked and has been promoted. She takes classes at a local college at night and does well there. I struggled with her for years but now have reaped the rewards and she and I have a great relationship. As a matter of fact, after not cruising due to things involving her my next cruise will be a special joint b-day cruise for her and I and one of her sisters. You are doing the right thing!

Thanks for all of the support, and Dave, I didn't take your post as the wrong way, thanks for supporting me in what's best for my situation. DD moved out for 1 year, and DS had moved out a year earlier making it 2 years he had been away from me when he moved back in. He's older, he should be graduating, but he's still in the 9th grade thanks to his dad not putting in the work that needs to be put in with him.:rolleyes: He's the type you constantly have to stay on top of or it doesn't get done. Needless to say when he went to stay with his dad, he didn't get that push he needed. So, now that he's back with me, I feel that pulling him out would be a very bad judgement call, getting behind is definitely not what he needs. On a more positive note, he is passing 4 out of 6 classes, and I think that the other 2 can be brought up in no time. He had straight A's (grades all near 100) for the 1st 2 weeks, then dropped the ball, turned in a couple of 0's and blew it. He'll get it straight, I'll make sure of it. :)

On a different note, I thank everyone for their support, you guys are making me feel better already..........but we all know I won't be completely better:( ..............but boy baby am I gonna have fun in June!:D

It stinks to cancel, but I think you made the right decision for both kids. Unfortunately, sometimes (well, most times) we sacrifice for our kids. Missing a whole week of school is tough to make up - especially when one has honor classes and/or a good average they don't want to jeopardize, and one has a not so great average, and is on the verge of failing. Tell dd that she owes you a cruise when she graduates college and gets her first "real" job! It still doesn't make your disappointment any less - but party on in June! It seems like you have a great attitude about the whole thing - keep on smiling!

I applaud your decision. As a teacher, it really makes me mad when people pull their kids out of school for a week. I am responsible for their learning and you can't get that by doing make-up work. Kids belong in school and taking your kids out with your son's issues would have probably had dire consequences for him. Great job being a responsible parent!

Bubbles:

I can really relate . I have a 13 year old that really struggles in school. We did take him out of school when he was younger a couple times but I do not think it is the right thing to do once kids hits jr high . Anyway so I am really limited to traveling when he is out of school. I am always torturing myself by looking at the great deals to be had in the shoulder seasons. Worse yet I have a travel writer friend that has invited me on FREE cruises I have had to say no to so I can make sure Carlos gets to school...

Tom in Long Beach

Archived