News From Carnival Conquest And Ecstasy

liz000

TROPICAL WEATHER UPDATE

SEPTEMBER 14, 2008 – 2:00 PM

We are closely monitoring the situation in Galveston and the impact from Hurricane Ike. We do not currently have a lot of information about the status of the shipping channel, cruise terminal or the port access infrastructure. Local communication has been very challenging and there are restrictions against incoming traffic into the Galveston area.

We do not expect the Port of Galveston to be open on Monday and there is tremendous uncertainty about when the port will be available to us next week. Due to this situation, we will now cancel the following cruises:

Carnival Conquest September 14, 2008 departure that was re-scheduled to a 6 day cruise departing on Monday, September 15.</STRONG>

Carnival Ecstasy September 15, 2008 departure

Guests will receive a full refund of cruise fare and we will process these refunds within three weeks.

We sincerely apologize to our guests that are impacted by these cancelled cruises. Unfortunately, we did not have any viable options available to provide an alternative cruise option.

We hope that all of those that reside in the areas impacted by Hurricane Ike were able to remain safe. We also wish a speedy recovery to those that may have sustained damage homes or businesses.

TROPICAL WEATHER UPDATE

SEPTEMBER 14, 2008 – 2:00 PM

We are closely monitoring the situation in Galveston and the impact from Hurricane Ike. We do not currently have a lot of information about the status of the shipping channel, cruise terminal or the port access infrastructure. Local communication has been very challenging and there are restrictions against incoming traffic into the Galveston area.

We do not expect the Port of Galveston to be open on Monday and there is tremendous uncertainty about when the port will be available to us next week. Due to this situation, we will now cancel the following cruises:

Carnival Conquest September 14, 2008 departure that was re-scheduled to a 6 day cruise departing on Monday, September 15.</STRONG>

Carnival Ecstasy September 15, 2008 departure

Guests will receive a full refund of cruise fare and we will process these refunds within three weeks.

We sincerely apologize to our guests that are impacted by these cancelled cruises. Unfortunately, we did not have any viable options available to provide an alternative cruise option.

We hope that all of those that reside in the areas impacted by Hurricane Ike were able to remain safe. We also wish a speedy recovery to those that may have sustained damage homes or businesses.

I just saw this too! I thought I'd never see a cruise canceled but doesn't seem as though Carnival has many options.

Maybe they will dock in Galveston, and then use the ships for a few weeks for Hurricane Relief.

That happened w/ Katrina right? What happened to the passengers on cruises from NO when Katrina hit? Some of those passengers prob drove to the port of NO as well. I wasn't a cruiser back then so I don't know and I would assume since history repeats itself the same would occur.

I just saw this too! I thought I'd never see a cruise canceled but doesn't seem as though Carnival has many options.

I cant believe it either ...

I just figured that they would reroute the ships for awhile

I am really sorry for all the cruisers that have had this happen

and I am also sorry for all the families in Galveston and the neighboring areas .

Hope them hurricanes stay away from my ports this year ...looks like a bad year for them :(

I was on the Carnival Conquest that sailed out of New Orleans the week before Katrina hit and the last two days of the cruise there were alot of indecision about what to do. First they were going to take us back early and drop us off in New Orleans but then they closed the Mississippi and couldn't do that. Then there was talk about keeping us at sea until after the hurricane went through but they couldn't do that for two reasons: 1) ship was due to go into dry dock immediatley after we docked and they did not have enough food and supplies on board to stay at sea extra days and 2) they anticipated that New Orleans may not be there after the Hurricane. They then decided to disembark in Galveston on the day we were supposed to disembark in New Orleans.

They could not go to the normal cruise terminal in Galveston as it was already full with ships so they had to drop us at a shipping terminal which was a mess because it was Sunday and they didn't have enough customs people to come to this terminal and they did not have the proper equipment to get luggage off the ship.

Disembarking went surprising well although it was delayed a few hours and Carnival provided buses to take passengers to either Hobby airport or Houston airport. We had flown into NO and airline was very good about switching our flights so we could depart from Houston. I'm not sure what arrangements were made for the people that drove to NO. Obviously they could not bus them to their cars because the hurricane hit NO less than 24hrs later.

Carnival Conquest September 7, 2008 Departure

The Carnival Conquest cruise that departed on September 7 will return to New Orleans on Monday, September 15. Guests will be able to debark on Monday or Tuesday. Guests will also be able to remain onboard and sail back to Galveston with the ship. However, we are uncertain about when the Port of Galveston will re-open.

Carnival Ecstasy September 11, 2008 Departure

The Carnival Ecstasy cruise that departed on September 11, 2008 will return to New Orleans on Tuesday, September 16 (2:00 PM arrival). Guests will be able to debark on Tuesday or Wednesday. Guests will also be able to remain onboard and sail back to Galveston with the ship. However, we are uncertain about when the Port of Galveston will re-open.

I too thought I'd never see a cruise cancelled for weather, but there's always a first, so never say never.

Friends of ours were on that Conquest cruise moved to Galveston due to Katrina. They had driven to port, parking in the New Orleans parking garage. Of course, they weren't allowed back there for their vehicle for a long time. As news of the damage to that parking garage came in, their insurance car finally declared their truck a total loss, and they got a new one. It takes a while for all that to happen though, because the vehicles may be fine, you just don't have access to them until the storm debris is cleared away, so we'll see about Galveston. The pictures are very sad!

FEMA Should rent the ships to house evacuees in the Port of Houston Bayport or maybe Port of Galveston, however there is so much devistation down there it is really uncertain.

Feel sorry for all on those two cruises, most lost cars parked at Port of Galveston.

I personally am amont the millions without power. I moved over to my parents house for the day to access internet and wash clothes, etc...

Fortunately our house survived with damage to trees mainly. Once electricity is back we will be much better off...

Sorry for all the folks on those cruises...of course none of them could get to the ship, Galveston is closed to virtually everyone without official business there. Airports operating on limited service, fuel is in a bit more tight supply than normal mainly due to lack of pumps available to pump fuel...food well, I can't imagine tons of food making it to the port for a cruise when many have no food or safe drinking water in the overall Houston area at this time.

Carnival did do the right thing!

Archived