Review PD W825 August 29th

Lizard©

Sorry this has taken so long to do, only had 2 days between end of cruise and going into hospital.

This is the first day I can really sit for any length of time, never written a review before, I write as I talk, so I’m sorry if it’s looooooooooong, anyway....here goes.

Friday 29th August Embarkation day.

Up at the ridiculous hour of 3.30am....we have a 6am flight. Must get the hair done, face on and grab a piece of toast.

Taxi arrives exactly at 4.30am and we’re off, already booked seats etc so drop off our bags and go find a seat to patiently wait for our flight to be called. Flight was smooth, we we’re put into a holding pattern for around 20mins so a little late in landing.

Looked for our pre-booked bus transfer.....not there!! Ended up on the P&O bus to wharf 8.

WOW.........I knew PD was big but geeze!!! I wasn’t prepared for how big lol :)

Dean and I filled in our health form and checked in, a nice smooth experience, received our cruise card and went outside for a coffee/hot chocolate and a muffin, a few pics were taken, then our zone (zone 2) was called for boarding, this was around 12.30pm.

Had photo taken (which was the only one we bought) went aboard then eager to find our cabin.......Dolphin 165.

Dropped off our hand luggage, Aileen our cabin Steward introduced herself just as we were going out to lunch. Cafe Del Sol was our lunch venue....nothing too much to eat just in case . Now was time to explore before we went up top for the Sailaway Party :D

So with cocktail in hand we depart Sydney, sail under the bridge and head for open water.

Back to cabin and the phone was ringing??? The dining room was wondering if my party of 12 would like to book for dinner............. Oh I said not tonight thanks, we haven’t even met yet......meet and greet was not until Sunday :rolleyes: (Must remember to go to Pursers desk to organize this.)

Thanks Don for your help with this :)

Cafe del Sol for a quick dinner, booked Dining room for Sat night, did a little ironing then hit the pillows around 9.30pm I was beat......remembered to set clocks forward 1hr before falling asleep though.

Saturday 30th August 1st day at sea.

Had a BIG breakfast!!! After promising myself not to do that, walked around the track 3 times to make me feel better about it lol.

10am the international show lounge had the Port & Tour presentation............can you believe it is “election day” in Vila, a public holiday as people have to go back to their villages to vote........most stores will still be open, though staff will be minimal we’re told.

Headed to the Patisserie for Hot Chocolate...with cream :D sat a while and watched the people go by, it’s so nice doing nothing.

Back in the cabin there’s a message waiting on the phone to please contact Riccardo Garbin, the First Purser (administration) regarding the Cruise Critics meet and greet. Which I did and he explained how a table could be set up for us in the Bengal Bar and a notice put in the Pacific Daily, he was very nice and extremely helpful.

Dashed back down for the end of the art auction, didn’t buy anything the pic I loved was just $3,100. outside of my budget. :eek:

We then went back up to the Bengal Bar for a drink. Met another couple from Adelaide and had a couple of hours chatting and laughing.

Back to cabin to freshen up for lunch, another call from the Dining room to see “if my party of 12 would like to book dinner” lol still haven’t met I said but will get back to you if needed.

Had lunch....then a “nanna nap” Gawd!!! I never do that!! I put it down to all the sea air, ‘cause we haven’t exactly done anything.........I don’t intend to either, this is a do nothing holiday for me, relax and unwind after the stress of work.

Dinner was at the Palm Court tonight, 8pm sitting. Seated down the back at table 42 (I mention this for a reason) the family we shared with had nothing but negative remarks about a previous trip they had on the PS so switched off after a bit.

Anyway was just stuffing a piece of bread roll in my mouth when up walks “Fabio” and introduces himself to me, now that was a big surprise, asks if everything is OK and would my party of Cruise Critics like a special tour of the kitchen, well yes!! Of course we would, good just ask for me “Fabio” and we will arrange that for you. OK, so now people are looking at me, I just go ahead and finish eating, trying not to have to explain too much to our dinner companions. Next thing he’s back with Marc the Head Chef!!! More introductions...I really feel slightly embarrassed at all this attention. Dinner was beautiful by the way...dashed off to see “Davidia” in the show lounge; she has a great voice and is very funny.

Went up to the Dome but didn’t stay long.........I don’t travel well up there, really notice the motion of the ship ( weird) hit the pillow around midnight...... gotta say I’m sleeping well.

Nice to know they looked after you so well and Riccardo Garbin set everything up. Teresa the First Purser on our cruise has left to get married and she was amazing really did look after us well.

Fabio and Marc are also wonderful he manages to make one feel very special, I don't know how they do ths when they are so busy. The private tour of the Galley is very special.

Loving the review, and hope all is well with you now after hospital.

Glenda they do make you feel special that's for sure, and yes I'm feeling much better thank you :)

No Karen sorry, I don't know her last name, but she was so good. :)

Sunday 31st 2nd day at sea

Another sea day and another HUGE breakfast.....I really gotta stop doing this.

Went out to play/watch table tennis but a tad windy lol, just sat in the sun and relaxed.

Lunch time!!! More food.........plenty to choose from in the Cafe del Sol, definitely not hard to find something nice.

Dean went into the golf chipping contest, not easy getting a plastic ball into a hoop floating around the pool lol.

Down the stairs, trying not to use the lifts, hope going up and down the stairs will help counteract all the food we’re eating. Window shopping and another hot chocolate with cream then time for the “Meet and Greet” which was put in the Pacific Daily complete with the CC logo.

Ricardo was there as we walked in the door, wanted to make sure all was set up ok....we thanked him again for all his help.

BribieCruisers were the first to arrive after us, then Drelix, Itachi and Amy. Then came Dan and Rhonda, Theresa and Nigel, and Natalie. We also welcomed Craig and Sharon who came to see what the meeting of Cruise Critics was all about. :)

Both Drelix and I were afraid we may be the only ones that turned up but thankfully that wasn’t the case. Had a great few hours, we’d all gone our separate ways by around 5pm with me promising to organise the kitchen tour with Fabio.

Dean had gone off around 4pm to check if football (Aussie Rules) was on but no.......went in the golf putting challenge instead....... he’s in the final on the last sea day. Dinner wasn’t until 8pm for us (first formal) so back to the patisserie for hot chocolate. Had dinner with 2 lovely couples, most enjoyable.

Next was the Pacific Dawn Entertainers in the show lounge, these guys are so versatile and really good I think.

Then the rest of the evening was watching/listening to Karaoke in the Bengal Bar. :D

Monday 1st September 3rd sea day.

Slept in this morning, had breakfast around 9.15am. Had to eat quick and dash to the show lounge for the virtual bridge tour with Captain Paoletti....he has one good sense of humour too.

Didn’t stay for all of it ‘cause there was another art auction on that we wanted to see, still hubby wouldn’t buy me that pic I love so much. :( Oh well, time for lunch now (didn’t we just eat?) Lazed around the pool for a while – ice cream time – back to the show lounge for “Lairs Club” :D lol so funny, think we picked only about two liars lol, now I hafta say I’m quite tired and going for a nanna nap, hmmmmmn, so now we overslept; woke at 6.10 so the 7.30pm show was out of the question lol

Decided on Pizza for dinner, extremely nice. Caught the 7.45 show and had another early night, must be up early for Vila in the morning.

No Karen sorry, I don't know her last name, but she was so good. :)

One of my friends that was on the cruise said she was fantastic. It was her that told me it was the lady that did our trivia. Do you have any pics?

Enjoying the review and looking forward to the next installment:) .

Loving your review! Hmmm must try the hot chocolate!! (with cream)!!

Wow sounds ike they really do make the meet and greet people feel special. I think I really am going to have to throw a meet and greet for myself on my cruise seeing as though I have no cc'rs on it yet :)

Glad to hear that you re doing ok after your hospital stay

Loving your review and "hearing" you speak!!!

It is making me all the excited about our upcoming cruise.

Do they still only have the one x ray machine when you check in?

Thanks Karon...and yes they still only have the one xray machine. :rolleyes:

Tuesday 2nd September Pt. Vila, Vanuatu

Dean got up early & went up top for a while ........... forgot his key; so lucky I was up when he got back. Early breakfast just fruit and toast this morning, (trying to be good) time for some duty free shopping.

A little humid but not too bad at all, the heat did increase as the day went along obviously, I have the sunburn to prove it lol.

Ok into the mini bus for the ride of our life to the duty free strip! Right down the wnd on the left we headed, got carton of smokes $24 each, didn’t matter the brand all the same price.

1125ml Johnny Walker red Whiskey and 1ltr Jameson for $17 each. Strolled back down to Paris duty free for our fragrance, Dean was happy with his, mine was OK I guess but I have managed to get a 100ml bottle for less than I paid for the 50ml duty free; just not seen it on sale lately and I was almost out.

Back to the ship, quick change into bathers and off for the jet boat ride ($65pp) What can I say..........

FANTASTIC!!! unfortunately no pics of that tour LOL.

Lunch time after a quick shower and change, strolled around the market for a couple of Leis, donated to the hospital fund, she’s such a lovely lady.

IMGP0369.jpg

Time to drop off our little bit of shopping, grab the cameras and get ready for the sea plane flight, seeing Vila from the air is beautiful, the colour of the water, all the lush greenery, just beautiful.

IMGP0372.jpg

Will do the more cultural thing next time around maybe.

Time for another shower and up to the grill for dinner, Scampi (prawns) and fries huge plate for only $5 “pirates of the Pacific” is the show tonight, great show with lots of audience participation!!

Saw Fabio befor the show and organised the kitchen tour for the last sea day, then went and left little notes at all the cabins of CC’ers.

After the show time for another hot chocolate with cream (got Dean on ‘em now) from the Patisserie, then off to bed.....this doing nothing is very tiring indeed.

Wednesday 3rd September Ouvea (oo-vay-a)

Awake early – Sun shining, it’s going to be a beautiful day, been looking forward to this for months!!

Got our tender tickets after breakfast (blue7) and were called almost straight away, on our way in about 10mins.

Didn’t do anything, just sat on the beach, swam, sat, swam ........... a fantastic day.

Was going to get the passport stamped but I was one of the “lucky” few who had to had theirs to the Pursers desk, I have a British Passport you see, something to do with the New Caledonian Immigration. Bummer!! no new stamps in the passport.

Anyway, Ouvea is the first beach that I’ve ever seen that look exactly like the photos you see in the travel catalogues. Just beautiful !!

IMGP0392.jpg

Back to the ship and a shower, had a Quiche and the proverbial hot choc at the Patisserie’ we missed lunch by an hour or so.

Just sat around waiting for dinner really, done a bit of window shopping, another cocktail in the Bengal bar then dinner.

John Taylor was the Illusionist in the show lounge, very entertaining!!

Had an early night (11.30pm) after all that sun, gawd!!! I must be getting old!!

oh wow i've been mispronouncing Ouvea all this time :rolleyes: OOPS

I am guessing the photo above was Chrissy? I had a very different mental image of her. Good to know - I'll look out for her when I am allowed to book my next cruise which willbe going to VILA :D

Wow that last photo is just divine. Oh I can't wait for all these photo opporunites! :)

I second that

:D Ouvea is stunning.

And yes it would be great if someone on an upcoming tour would have a look at Chrissy's Wish List and let us know.

Read a while back that she was after a Laminator and I saw one the other day for only $29.00!!

Each time I have been to Vila I have missed Chrissy as it's been POURING with rain and she was not there, would love to be able to take something with me this time that she needs.

Hi can you please let me know if you booked the sea plane through the ship? or did you book it yourselves? as we would love to do it to:D sounds like a great way to see the island, and if you dont mind if its a private trip can you let me know the company:) and roughly how much the cost is thanking you

eyeha@hotmail.com

Great review lizard was starting to wonder who whould write one first keep it up fantastic read. Also re chrissy am thinking about starting CC groups ie Central Coast, Melb, Adel, Port Macq, Bris etc to pool stuff and pass on to whoever is sailing first what does everbody think??

Rgds Sean (Takeout)

Hi can you please let me know if you booked the sea plane through the ship? or did you book it yourselves? as we would love to do it to:D sounds like a great way to see the island,

Hi Sheridan, we actually booked this flight through the ship, I think it was from memory $99pp for approx 12minutes, think we were up ther a little longer though.

Have to say it was well worth the money.

Great review, keep it coming. Just wondering I'm new to cruising and my mum will be travelling on a British Passport, I'm under the impression that we don't need to organise any visa's (apart from a re-entry). Is this correct?

Thanks for your review Lynda, really enjoying it. Oh yes, there's something about cruising - we had nanna naps nearly every afternoon, we never do that at home.:p

You must really have appreciated the special attention given 'cause you're a CCr - that's really nice. Must have been great to meet up with everyone. Ouvea was my favourite place, it's just stunning!

Sounds like you'll be another cruise tragic:D I'm trying to get DH to book another one but he's got his heart set on going to USA next year and we can't afford to do both. I may even put a deposit on a cruise for 2010 - wouldn't that be a lovely surprise???

Hope you're recovering after your op and hope to read the rest of your review soon.

Ella

... I'm trying to get DH to book another one but he's got his heart set on going to USA next year and we can't afford to do both. Ella

Depending on where in US you're going, maybe you could do a cruise whilst you're there. They have lots of short ones on offer (3 & 5 days) and they're usually pretty cheap.

Archived