Drug Pushers at Ports ?

southbayer

Twice now I have been asked if I wanted to buy drugs in two different ports. I've been asked in wide open area's filled with tourists about15 feet of police.

I have to wonder if the cops there get part of the take ? Cause these pushers are out there like they are passing out flyers to some bar or somethin. But what really freaked me out was they would ask right near police. So of course I had to say in a very LOUD VOICE "I don't buy drugs".

Twice now I have been asked if I wanted to buy drugs in two different ports. I've been asked in wide open area's filled with tourists about15 feet of police.

I have to wonder if the cops there get part of the take ? Cause these pushers are out there like they are passing out flyers to some bar or somethin. But what really freaked me out was they would ask right near police. So of course I had to say in a very LOUD VOICE "I don't buy drugs".

We were on a Stingray excursion in Grand Cayman a few years back and we ( DH & I) witness the tour operator selling Marijuana to the "younger" passengers on the tour. I was too nervous to say anything until we returned to the ship safely to which I then contacted the Company and advised them of what I witnessed. Pictures included.

It happens everywhere but, what bothered me the most was that the tour guide was too open about the Drugs he had.

It's not unusual at all to be offered all kinds of substances on any island in the Caribbean. Some islands are more prone than others.....

There is no crime in selling it, the crime is buying it and using it. All one needs to do is say no and keep walking. The police don't get involved unless someone purchases it.......not even the seller gets in trouble.

Many of those selling drugs around tourist areas are undercover narcs anyway. You buy, you're arrested.

Marijuana is the #1 revenue producer for at least 3 islands I know of-probably many more that I don't.....in spite of it being illegal to use.

It's not unusual at all to be offered all kinds of substances on any island in the Caribbean. Some islands are more prone than others.....

There is no crime in selling it' date=' the crime is buying it and using it. All one needs to do is say no and keep walking. The police don't get involved unless someone purchases it.......not even the seller gets in trouble.

Many of those selling drugs around tourist areas are undercover narcs anyway. You buy, you're arrested.

Marijuana is the #1 revenue producer for at least 3 islands I know of-probably many more that I don't.....in spite of it being illegal to use.[/quote']

I'm curious to know what 3 islands you are referring too?

Thanks

i"m afraid it is all over. Here in the U.S. also. Just ignore and move on. As it was said, alot of the "sellers" are under cover . The main crime i see is that its not illegal to sell, just buy. And they are not touched. And their country allows it.

Its the Jamaican version of the Welcome Wagon.

There is no crime in selling it' date=' the crime is buying it and using it. All one needs to do is say no and keep walking. The police don't get involved unless someone purchases it.......not even the seller gets in trouble.

Marijuana is the #1 revenue producer for at least 3 islands I know of-probably many more that I don't.....in spite of it being illegal to use.[/quote']

You have no idea what you are talking about. Are you familiar with the laws in all of the Caribbean countries?

What makes you think that it is not a crime to sell drugs?

Have you talked to police agencies in those areas and verified that the sellers are undercover narcs?

Have you seen people arrested?

What do you base your statement that marijuana is the #1 revenue producer for 3 islands?

You have no idea if any of these assertions are true or not, you just had to chime in.

Most of us assume that the sale, purchase, possession and use of drugs is illegal everywhere, and that the laws are the same. Well I have to tell you they are not the same from state to state within the US much less across the islands. In some states simple possession of marijuana is a felony. In others it is a slap on the wrist misdemeanor.

On some islands it may be nothing more than a small fine (I have no idea what the penalties are, just suggesting) on others it may be a major felony.

The bottom line is to be safe simply ignore any drug sellers and go about your business

Nope. And besides, most of the drugs in Jamaica are to satisfy the cravings of a drug addicted America. If there was no demand, the supply would dry up.

thats not true ......people in Jamaica gets just as high as people in america. they can just sell it to people in america for a higher price....and yes the police are in on it.

thats not true ......people in Jamaica gets just as high as people in america. they can just sell it to people in america for a higher price....and yes the police are in on it.

It certainly is true.

The poor Jamaican on the street is not part of the cartels that use Jamaica as a staging area for a obscene amount of cocaine headed for the US.

As for cigaweed, there is no shortage of Americans that deliberately plan land vacations to Jamaica for that express purpose.

If there wasn't a good chance of finding a buyer, the poor Jamaican would be forced to find a more honest way of putting food on the table for his family. In the United States, even the homeless can find a meal. In most of the rest of the world, if you don't earn any money, you don't eat.

What is your point:confused:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=845066

It certainly is true.

The poor Jamaican on the street is not part of the cartels that use Jamaica as a staging area for a obscene amount of cocaine headed for the US.

As for cigaweed, there is no shortage of Americans that deliberately plan land vacations to Jamaica for that express purpose.

If there wasn't a good chance of finding a buyer, the poor Jamaican would be forced to find a more honest way of putting food on the table for his family. In the United States, even the homeless can find a meal. In most of the rest of the world, if you don't earn any money, you don't eat.

ooooo if you are talking about cocaine i agree , but there was plenty of locals smoking weed....while visiting Jamaica in 06.....i didn't think that they push cocaine as much as they do weed.

ooooo if you are talking about cocaine i agree , but there was plenty of locals smoking weed....while visiting Jamaica in 06.....i didn't think that they push cocaine as much as they do weed.

It is everywhere in the Caribbean......the only differnce is in Jamaica they sell it right at the port...........

ok, I can accept that.

There is no dispute that grass is grown on Jamaica and is some of the best. The same goes for Hawaii.

My point is that if there was not a drug problem in America, ok, first, there would be less crime in America. Ok, moving along.

The rest of the world knows this, whether or not America(ns) deny reality.

If America was not associated with over consumption of everything, including pot, vendors of everything would be less inclined to approach Americans to sell their wares. It is simple business that they do so.

It is everywhere in the Caribbean......the only differnce is in Jamaica they sell it right at the port...........

I agree. In Jamaica, as well as Mo Bay, approached numerous times to purchase drugs almost immediately after having disembarked . . . didn't find out what kind of drug however. Buying drugs in a foreign country is just pure idiocy. Often its a setup anyway, with the seiller working directly with the local police . . . Rent The Midnight Express and you'll never buy drugs in a foreign country . . . EVER. :(

Buying drugs from the local USA street corner vendor is somehow sane?

Implying that passengers cannot disembark the ship in Jamaica without being offered drugs is the lunacy.

Suggesting that only foreign governments and police departments are corrupt is equally insane.

Many of these countries have learned from the best when it comes to corruption - the United States.

Have I ever been offered drugs? Yes, in numerous US locations. Also in Jamaica, the Bahamas, Belize, Mexico, numerous locations in Europe, and so on and so forth.

The correct response in all cases is NO. "I don't think so" also works, but was more keystrokes

Does this thread have a point?

I think people are making sweeping generalizations about people in countries when they need not.

If you are offended by people approaching you then shut up and don't look at them and keep walking. They could care less about offending you.

My extended family is from Jamaica and many of them still have homes there. We are going to my MIL's home at the end of Oct. It's a poor country as many are in the carribean. I don't condone others selling drugs but I understand why they do it as it's a way they support themselves. Yes it's illegal. But the American is just as much an idiot to purchase it as is the person who sells it.

Archived