Live from Ecstasy

want2cruiseagain

I wish you luck and hope that you are having a good time on your extended cruise in the gulf. The city of Galveston and the port are both closed. No one is being allowed onto the island until further notice. They are talking about letting the residents return soon to check on their homes and then leave. They will not be allowed to stay. The causeway has a lot of litter and boats on it and has some damage. Most of the island flooded including the strand. No power or water is available. There is one lane open to the island on I45 that is passable. It is going to be awhile.

If you are checking your posts....here are some info sites that might help you with information...for folks who are from Houston and heading home.

Road conditions in Houston and Galveston:

http://www.dot.state.tx.us/GIS/HCRS_main/viewer.htm

As of yesterday, there were 68 high water segments through out Houston.

The Galveston Causeway is reported to have a (or some) buckle. I have not heard if the ferry that runs had damage. But they did have ferry service before the storm...so even if the causeway takes time to repair hopefully the ferry will get up and running.

Galveston Island has no infrastructure and is a mess, so don't expect it to be up and running in a week.

I feel like Carnival is hoping the new Houston Baytown Cruise Terminal may be a port in a storm. I am sure Carnival is hoping by Sunday...but I wouldn't bet on that. Most of Houston is without power and clearing roadways as well.

Of course those flying home will find New Orleans Airport will probably be able to accommodate them. But those that drove to the Galveston port, are probably dealing with a long time before they can get to their cars....IF there is anything left to get.

KHOU TV reported the Strand took 6 1/2 foot of water.

CBS News is reporting that Houston will take 2 - 4 weeks to fully restore power.

Houston is experiencing long lines for everything from fuel to ice to what few grocery stores are open.

If folks are renting cars to drive back, I would stay the extra day that Carnival is offering...because there is not a lot to go back to right now.

Archived