Amalfi coast - any cheaper options?

I'm looking for some advice for the amalfi coast. We're going to be docking in Naples and wanted a driver to take us to Pompeii for the morning, then to Positano or Sorrento for the afternoon, then back to the ship. However so many of the car services, like Rome in a Limo, seem very $$$. Are there any other options for touring around for the day that isn't going to cost us 500 euro for 4 people? Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Yes, independant personal tour guides are terribly expensive. I don't plan to utilize any on our 12 day cruise. I booked tours through www.viator.com (already paid for in US dollars) and three through the ship (also paid for in US dollars). While you may get more personal attention, than on a ship's tour, it's just not worth that kind of money to me. I will be walking, taking Ho/Ho buses or small tourist trains/trams in a few of the ports.

Couple of posters advised to take the hydrofoil from Naples to Sorrento (as that is the farthest point for me) then take the Circumvesuviana train back to Pompeii and on to Naples, watching the time. Rather than the train to Pompeii first and end in Sorrento, if you run out of time, you are quite a distance from Naples.

Have a great trip, whatever you decide to do.

We are using Limousine Service Sorrento Renato Como. They are picking us up at the ship, taking us to Pompeii for the morning, then we are doing Amalfi, Positano & Ravello & Sorrento for Euro 300 for the entire day. The only other charge is to get into the ruins it's Euro 11 each and your driver cannot do a guided tour there so you can hire one there for about euro 50 or get a guided headset in english for euro 11 each. My brother used them in the past and said they were great. they give you time for lunch also. There web site is http://www.carsorrento.it or phone (0039)0818023037. They also pick up in Naples. hope this helps you!

Archived