Disembark Question

njtwinmom

Hi - I'm on the Crown in November out of Port Everglades. We want to leave the ship as early as we can since we have a long drive home. Can I put in a request to tell them I want to be in the first group who leaves, even though I don't have a plane to catch? Do they check your tickets to see if you really have a flight to catch, or can I just tell them I do?

Hi - I'm on the Crown in November out of Port Everglades. We want to leave the ship as early as we can since we have a long drive home. Can I put in a request to tell them I want to be in the first group who leaves, even though I don't have a plane to catch? Do they check your tickets to see if you really have a flight to catch, or can I just tell them I do?

If you want to disembark the earliest, I would suggest self disembarkation. You will have to carry off ALL your own luggage this way though. You can check with the purser and they will let you know how to get the proper tags for self disembarkation.

If we're going to disembark and carry our own stuff. It's usually when we've parked at the dock. And, we have a long drive home!

If this is the case. Pack accordingly. Make sure that ALL your bags can be handled by both of you.

We bring a "Granny" cart with us and put all the extras in it (stuff we've purchased/my makeup bag/jewelry bag/ etc.) Even, my garment bag fits in this cart. My DH has an overnight bag, on wheels and I have one. One of us pushes the cart and pulls one bag and I pull my bag. And, we're good to go!!!

We're both in our 60's and have been doing this for some time.....it really works well! And, is easy to do.

We store the Granny Cart on the the veranda or behind the drapes during the cruise.

You'll fill out a form a night to two before you disembark, requesting that you're "self disembarking" and you'll be one of the first off the ship. It's great!

If you are self-disembarking, make sure you really can handle all of your bags, carry-ons, etc. and keep up a good pace because there are hundreds right behind you equally anxious to get off the ship. Also, getting across the gangway can sometimes be difficult as there are bumps or small steps; I can't remember if there is an escalator in FLL (there is in San Pedro) but handling luggage on an escalator can be a challenge. Take that into account before deciding whether you want to self-disembark.

Self Disembarkation sounds good, but if I didn't want to do that how can I be part of the group who disembarks after the self disembark people? Can I say I have an early flight to catch, even if I don't? Would they require me to show them airline tickets?

Self Disembarkation sounds good, but if I didn't want to do that how can I be part of the group who disembarks after the self disembark people? Can I say I have an early flight to catch, even if I don't? Would they require me to show them airline tickets?
Usually, the last passengers leave the ship by 9am or shortly afterwards. Keep in mind that Princess, and other cruiselines, limit the number of each colored ticket for crowd control to give priority to those who really do need to get off early to catch a flight. If you and others who are not flying but just want to get off early request the same colored ticket as someone who really needs it, they may be bumped to a later color and have less time to catch their flight.

Archived