30 lbs to New Years!!

Litewait

Hi everyone.

Well I have a cruise at New Year's and it's about time I got back on track with my weight.

I'm 43, got down to just under 170 last year and am back up around my starting weight of 198.4. I lost it by attending a weight loss centre where other than protein supplements (bars, oatmeal, soup, hot chocolate etc) you were eating every day foods but limiting carbs and sugar. I went 3 times a week so it was the accountability that worked for me.

I read through this thread last night and decided I'll make myself accountable to you all. I'm going to go grocery shopping tonight and make sure I have all the right foods in and no excuse not to eat right.

I'm not crazy about veg but going to try to stick with primarily veg/protein intially as I know it's the carbs and sugar that are my downfall. it's two weeks until thanksgiving here so that's my first goal. Keep on track so that I can indulge a little that day... it's at my house so I can easily make sure that there's sensible things for me to eat.

I didn't do exercise last year when I lost but know I have to. I got the Wii fit with the intention of doing it, and haven't, so that's something else I intend to start this week.

I know one or two people mentioned plateau, try and monitor the sodium. I found when I was being monitored last year that if I felt I did good but didn't lose it was general that. I think some of the "lean cuisine" frozen dinner type foods can be high in sodium. Also, suprisingly, tinned/packet soups, even the ones that look as if they should be healthy.

Frances

p.s. a couple of people mentioned taking Alli - what's that?

Had a pretty bad weakend too, but never mind...today is another day. I did get up and go to Curves already. I start their 6 week challenge tomorrow and will get weighed and measured then...so I'll be a day behind everyone else but will post how I am doing anyway.

We are going to the mountains for Thanksgiving and will take our own turkey with fixins. The other couple we are going with (she is also waist watching) so should not be tooooo hard :)

Hi Everyone! I'm sitting her getting ready to head out to meet everyone for the 3 days of meetings here in Dallas, TX. I did get up and walk 3 miles this morning before heading to the airport. I grabbed a sugar free Red Bull at the airport and that's all I've had today. I'm drinking water now so I hope I don't pig out tonight.

Welcome FMAX to our group. Glad to have you!!

Nana #2 - don't get down. Today we start a new week. Stay focused and hopefully you will have good news next week to report.

Litewait: Congratulations on the 3 lbs for the week. That's fantastic!!!

ILikeCruising: Congratulations on making a decision to join curves 6 week challenge. We look forward to hearing how that works for you.

My week was really up and down with my weight. Like a dang yo yo. Here are my stats:

SW: 197.6 (9/6/08)

LW: 187.4

CW: 186.0

GW: 170 by Christmas/$160 by Cruise on 2/21/08

So even though not as big of a drop as I had hoped, at least the scales moved.

Marlene

I am all moved out of my place and into my new place. I am not happy today as I have gained back 1.6lbs. I can either blame it on eating not so good and moving, AF for being bloated or from building some muscle... :mad:

I don't know, but I took myself back to P1 and I'm going to do it for a couple of days and then return fully to P2 after that.

I just eat fish, chicken, eggs, veggies, and cheese. That keeps me very happy and satisfied, and it seems to work. When we go out dancing on Friday and Saturdays I drink wine, or occasionally have a martini. We used to have wine with dinner at home, but have decided to skip that until I get back to where I want to be.

I had several bouts of the flu last year which eventually culimanted in a nasty round of pneumonia. Long story short, I couldn't go to the gym (Curves) for months and put on 26 pounds. :( I must be the only person on eath who gets fat when they are ill.

Since I was cleared to go bach to the gym and dance floor in June, I have lost 14. So another 12 will get me back into my wardrobe of lovely cruise clothes, but another 17 or 18, would make me really happy. Actually 22 would make me estatic. :D

For New Years we are cruising with some wonderful dance friends. She is slim as a teenager (after three grown sons), and eats like a piglet. If I didn't like her so much I would hate her. :p I refuse to stand next to her looking like a pudge ball.

We were cruising the last two weekends but will be at home for the next two weeks so that should give me the opportunity to get seriously back into the groove. The weekend of the 17th of October we are going to Portland, OR, for a Tango Festival where it will be harder to control my diet, but we will also be dancing all day and all night long. We are then home again until the 31st when we fly with our son and GF to visit our daughter and partner in Manhattan for the weekend. That will be another challenge, but one I need to meet because on November 7th I have a High School reunion party in Palm Beach and I want to look good for that.

Now it is time to go off to Curves, which I do six days a week when we are in town.

Oh, I have a sexy dress I want to wear on the cruise, hanging on my closet door to remind me to stay serious. :D

Welcome to the group!! Sounds like you are really active! Who needs Curves when you dance Like you do! LOL!!

I lost 10 lbs the first month (Oct. is 2nd) and started walking again yesterday to hopefully boost the metabolism. I need to lose another 21 to be at my goal ( my goal was to be at 140 by Dec. 28th). If I could lose a few more before our New Years cruise that would be even better. It would give a "comfort zone" for the cruise.

I love my wine also. But have learned, if I have a glass or 2 or 3:rolleyes: It completely stops the weight lose and takes a few days to start up again. I am cutting it out completely until I am done. Then limited after that.

I have a "Cruise for the Cause" harbor cruise on the 9th and I will have a glass that night. I have Bunco on the 11th and a dinner with my reunion committee the 16th. Those are the only reasons I would have to even venture off this month. I've already started thinking ahead to Thanksgiving and how to eat "lite" then. My mom is a "Southern cooker" so everything is yummy.

But I know I can do it. Set mini goals and it will feel so great to reach those it motivates you to keep going. I wanted to lose more than 10 the first month. But I realized 10 is good and it's 10 less than I started at and if I can do that every month I will be happily at goal by New Years:D

Keep up the good work everyone!

Happy Cruising & Losing~

Donna

I am heading to the store after work to buy another scale. I have the old dial kind (not digital) The trouble is that every time I get on it gives me a different weight and then goes back to several pounds under or over "0". That definitely does not give me any confidence that I am getting a decent read out, sooooo - off to the store.

Regarding food - I have been eating tons of vegetables - which is fine with me as I really like vegetables. At lunch I have big salad or stir fry with protein & 1/2 cup carb and basically a variation of the same at dinner. Breakfast is protein & fruit and snacks are fruit or SF treat. Figured I am doing really good as I am staying on what I should eat. Well, had a blood test last Friday and you guessed it - they told me I must be eating too many salads and/or bananas and I should cut back. My potassium level is too high. I'm not eating any bananas so must be the veggies.) Go figure. One of these days I'll get it all right, but I guess that day isn't today. Looked up what foods are high in potassium and will cut back on those and get another blood test in a couple. This is a real balancing act I guess.

This morning my work out was really good. My favorite buddy was there so we gossiped away for all three circuits. :)

I made some veggie soup last night and had a taste breakfast. It was really, really good.

I used about 3/4 cup of McCormicks chicken base in a big pot, to which I added, 1/2 cabbage, cauliflower, orange peppers, celery, 1/2 red onion, 1/2 brown onion, a bag of baby carrots, salt, pepper, sweet basil, and two bay leaves. At the very end I tossed in some sliced Sweet 100 tomatoes.

Even my hubby loved it. It is the McCormicks chicken base that makes it so yummy.

For breakfast I just had two hard-boiled eggs, made into deviled eggs with mayo and coarse-ground mustard. For lunch I will have a small can of tuna with mayo, dill pickle relish and chopped tomatoes. For dinner I will have Greek Salad and some of my yummy soup, probably with some ground parmesean toss on it.

Litewait, being at 140 for our New Year's cruise would be my dream. I was 162 this morning so it is pretty realistic. Most of my wardrobe fits me perfectly at 150, so if I get to 140 I will have to buy some new clothes. Oh darn! :D

We can just keep encouraging one another.

I had:

Breakfast: 1/2 a grapefruit

toast

tea

will have:

Lunch: fruit salad w/ cottage cheese and some pecans on it.

Dinner: grilled chicken ( a staple in my diet)

salad and a vegie of some sort.

I'll walk my 2 miles this afternoon also.. Want to break the 161 badly..:rolleyes:

Happy Cruising & Losing~

Donna

So we are in almost exactly the same place and have exactly the same goal. I am hoping to hit 160 by next Monday.

At two pounds a week we can make it to goal by Christmas. That will take a lot of good discipline, but we can do it!

Wondering if there is something wrong with my computer or this site...been having problems all day...:(

I started the Curves 6 week Solution today. I will be spending some time reading the book and figuring things out. I have done this before and used the Low Carb diet, but this time I'm going to do the Higher Carb diet, I know...sounds weird, but we'll see. Will keep you posted. Unfortunately I also hurt my back and having a bit of trouble walking...but, I'll go to Curve anyway and do what I can...better than nothing right????:)

Just keep moving, don't jump on the recovery boards. I don't know how many machines you could do without aggravating your back though:confused:

Believe it or not I owned a Curves at one time..have 12 pieces of equipment and recovery boards sitting in my garage:eek: Long story, very bad experience. It is a good work out if done properly though. If I had the room in my garage I'd use it, but don't. I'm waiting for dd to maybe move out one day ( maybe when she's 30 LOL) and I can use her room for a workout room, it's huge. She has the biggest room in the house!!

So that being said you would think I would eat better and keep in better shape. But it's been 2 1/2 years since and I just quit.

But no more!! I walked my 2 miles today. I'll keep that up for sure, hopefully it will keep the scale moving again!

Happy Cruising & Losing~

Donna

Thanks for the support. I have been on and off with Curves for years now. Unfortunately, when I get off track and don't go for a while, it's hard to get back into the routine. But having to be accountable to SOMEBODY helps me. I definately need structure.

Wow, can't you sell your Curves equipment? I don't find the recovery stations hurt as much as some of the equipment. I'm just going to go real real slow and also walking the dog doesn't hurt (well, my back a bit) :)

Welcome Punki C. Glad to have you in our group. I think you will find that we are all pretty active to keep this thread going. We support each other and celebrate our loses together. After our cruises, we plan to get back on here and keep this going throughout 2009. Hope you will join us as well. It will keep us focused.

Mango - good decision on buying a new scale. I did that a couple years ago and it's so worth it when you are dieting. It helps you to see those partial pound loses.

Will be back home on Thursday morning and can start back my daily walks. I WILL GET BACK HOME AND STAY FOCUSED ON MY WEIGHT LOSS.

Hope all of you are having a great week. My goal for Monday is to weigh the same as I did last Monday, even though I've been traveling!!!!

Marlene

Bummer...I knew I was cheating...sigh. I went down to 165...and then screwed up this weekend. On Monday, I was 168. : ( UGH! I have been using treadmill...but also eating steak, butter, potatoes, egg salad sandwich, chinese, mexican....Bad, bad, bad. Humph....

oh! And a latte yesterday...so, so bad.

I'll be good today.

Jill

Jill your a naughty girl!! Atleast it was only 3 lbs. If you work hard this week and eat right you can probably drop all 3 this week and start new next week.

I keep thinking everytime I want to eat something.. Do I REALLY need this? Will I die without it? Eatting it before got me to 171 lbs do I REALLY want to go there again...NOT!

Ok, so I talk to myself LOL! And I also come here, or my walking forum I found and it does motivate me not to do it..

Just get one day under your belt, it will feel so good!;)

Happy Cruising & Losing~

Donna

I had to get up really early this morning to go to the gym before I had to take hubby to the hospital to get a colonoscopy at 8:00 a.m., go back home, eat, shower, dress, and make it to my 10:30 massage therapy appointment.

I think it is interesting that working out has become such a habit that when my schedule becomes complicated, I automatically find a way to fit in going to the gym. In the past I would have used a schedule complication as an excuse not to work out. I am really starting to feel my abs during my circuits. That is a good thing.

My eating has been really clean and I am hoping that my scale will reward me for my hard work and good eating in the morning.

We were on a cruise last weekend and I drank too much wine for successful weight loss. I should be over that by now. ;)

Ok so I knew there was a GOD! I am going down again. AF was mean to me this time around and it looks like I'm moving in the right direction again. The cravings were killing me this week. I ate sugary cereal and extra PB...I'm finally back on track.

Had I been able to post a reply yesterday, I would've been proud to announce that I was one pound shy of a 50-pound weight loss. However, after weighing this morning, I have to say I'm 2.5 pounds away.:( I guess this is the reason one is not supposed to weigh every day, but I do anyway. I need new scales, too, but mine are already digital!

Yesterday, I walked at least two miles and also worked in the yard when I got home from work. Didn't eat anything I shouldn't have (that I can remember), so I guess one's weight really does just plain fluctuate.

We are two months, one week, and four days away from cruise date (December 14 - 21 on RCI's Mariner of the Seas), and as excited as I am about that, right now I'm excited about the prospect of having a week (October 11-18) at the Outer Banks of NC. A bad day at the Outer Banks is better than a good day at work!

Hope everyone has a great day.

B

Looks like everyone is working hard and doing well. We may have some stumbling along the way but we will get there!!!

I know your not supposed to weigh everyday, but I do, If I don't I find for me it lets me be in denial. If I don't weigh then I don't have to come face to face with the fact I'm eatting to much!:eek:

So it's more of a motivator for me:

If I lose I'm :D

If I stay the same I'm :rolleyes:

If I gain I'm :( ( But know I better stick to it and do better)

I have found writing down EVERYTHING I eat helps and my weight each day. I have learned that salt slows me down ( I love salty sunflower seeds) and wine stops it completely and then I have to wait a couple of days to see the scale move again. I have also learned that I tend to always stay the same on Wed & Thur.. and go up on the weekends.. ( do cheat with wine on the weekend, but I'm trying to stop that.)

Heres what my last 2 weeks have looked like: ( I'm shooting for 159 on 10/6)

Start Date Sept 2nd~ 171

9/21 167 (Mon.)

22 166

23 164

24 163

25 163

26 161

27 didn't right it down

28 162

9/29 162 (Mon)

30 161

10/1 160

2 160

I like looking at it!! And that helps me too. I feel good about what I've done and want to keep doing it. I started walking this week, everyday. So I am feeling good about that also.

I hope sharing will motivate others! We CAN DO IT!!

"NOTHING TASTE AS GOOD AS THIN FEELS!!"

Happy Cruising & Losing~

Donna

Have started Phase 1 and am really hoping for better results. I need to really see some results - January is closing in fast! Made a shopping trip to get the needed foods - and have really buckled down for the two week stint of this. It would be so welcome to see a significant weight drop.

When I got on that new digital scale that I bought I was not happy at all - :mad: <----that's me glaring at the scale. It said I weighed more than I thought I started at! Soooooo - needless to say I was not a happy camper. Guess I have to just look at it as a challenge and keep working at getting these lbs. off.

Any tips/ideas for Phase I? Am I reading the info right - looks like you can eat lean meat/veggies 3 times a day - but no portion limits. Is that correct? Do not want to be making major mistake right off on this. Got the suggested "sweet treats" (fudgesicles, creamsicles, SF jello) as well as dry roasted almonds which I counted out into portions (1 portion/day). If I eat SF yogurt or cheese is that in place of meat or what. Unsure where that fits in the plan. :confused: Probably I missed some page. Thanks for any help/suggestions. :) :) :)

Have a great day -

I'm Choosin' to be Losin' for Cruisin'

Mango

Nothing tastes as good as thin feels

Archived