Mero Beach - black sand beach

loves2cruz

• 3 weeks later...

Our tour in February, 08 took us to Mero Beach for about one hour there. The water was enjoyable, warm and only a bit wavy, but the visibility for snorkeling is poor, I did not see many people snorkeling. I tried and did not see much

I believe this is the beach that some of the tours go to at the end. Does anyone know if there is good snorkeling at this beach?

Thanks

When we were there this past April we did not see anyone snorkeling. But the water is wonderful and a really nice beach.

Laura

• 3 weeks later...
Our tour in February, 08 took us to Mero Beach for about one hour there. The water was enjoyable, warm and only a bit wavy, but the visibility for snorkeling is poor, I did not see many people snorkeling. I tried and did not see much

We booked tour this with a group of appx 33 Cruise Crictic Members, We were on two busses for the tour to the falls and then to Mero Beach for snorkeling and a BBQ. The one bus had a broken AC and it was very hot. The falls were okay but then when we went to Mero Beach, for the snorkeling the water was too full of silt to see anything. Of the 8 of us who were traveling together only two would even get in the water it looked so dirty.. We were the first cruise of the season and the "BBQ" if not the worst "BBQ" I ever had, it was among first two worst. I felt this was a ripoff at $45.00 per person and we were ready to go back to the ship soon after we arrived at Mero Beach. They made sure they collect everyones $45.00 before taking us back to the ship. If you do plan a Tour of Dominica make sure the bus has AC before getting on board. The facilities at Mero Beach for changing into your bathing suit if you had not worn it under you clothes were not very good and had a charge to use the bathroom where you changed. We also had several people who told us back on the ship that they had got food poisoning from the meal at the beach.

We'll be back in Dominica in January, our third visit there. We might just go to Mero beach, which looks quite wonderful when the ship passes it going out (toward New York). We have done the basic tour twice. We are always struck by the island's fertile lushness. Since there isn't much to see in town, we might as well experience something we have not done before: Mero beach.

As to eating out, we never do so on beaches. Far too risky.

• 1 month later...

Can you take a taxi to Mero Beach from the ship's dock?

What are taxi rates to the beach from the dock?

What are admission fees?

What are food and drink prices at the beach?

This thread makes me want to go to this beach and would like to know as much as possible before I go.

Thanks in advance!

Sure you can take a cab. I just wonder whether getting it outside the huckster area at the pier might be cheaper. Mero beach is so close to your ship and that if you could walk on the water's edge it would be an easy walk. But since you cannot because of rocks and development, you have to take a cab. How long? I don't know because Dominican roads tend to zigzag. Not far.

Having read the comments, I think we'll go Mero beach in February. We have done the basic nature sight-seeing twice now and are ready for something else. Mero beach presumably is in an area where Dominica's elite have their houses.

I have done a search, and am getting mixed messages as to the distance from the pier to Mero. The last post here says it is close, another post elsewhere says it's $100 round trip for two people via taxi. Can anyone PLEASE confirm? Heading there next week!

Thanks in advance!

I have done a search, and am getting mixed messages as to the distance from the pier to Mero. The last post here says it is close, another post elsewhere says it's $100 round trip for two people via taxi. Can anyone PLEASE confirm? Heading there next week!

Thanks in advance!

I need confirmation too!

How far is Mero Beach from the ships dock?

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dominica is definitely not an Island for 'beaching' it....its a Nature Island, famous for hiking and lushness, beautiful waterfalls and such. Scotts Head is a nice place to go, but you won't find the white sand beaches there :)

I spent a year there in 1994/95 and loved it so much - but the diving is better than the snorkelling. Whale watching is great too!

Mero is only about 15mins from port with minimal traffic, but if you hit any type of rush hour - Dominica is a crazy place to drive in......Im guessing that is why there is such a range. There isn't really 'multiple' ways to get there - there's only one main road that goes all the way around the Island, it just depends how busy it is at the time.

• 1 month later...

Just back...

We stopped at Mero Beach at the end of a tour, and it was a beautiful black sand beach. There were vendors here, but I didn't stop at any of them. There was a $1 charge to use the bathroom or showers to rinse off.

Another couple who went to the beach directly from the ship said the taxi cost $40 each way.

If you've never experienced a black sand beach, Mero is a great stop; however, I wouldn't recommend it for a day at the beach.

• 1 month later...

Archived