What was YOUR experience bringing wine onboard in the Mediterranean?

Leejnd4

Vote on your experience, or what you witnessed, in bringing wine onboard in the Med  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Vote on your experience, or what you witnessed, in bringing wine onboard in the Med

• There was no enforcement of the booze rules at all; you could bring on all you wanted
    • There was some enforcement at either embarkation or the ports, but you could usually get past them
    • There was rigid enforcement at embarkation, but not at the ports
    • There was rigid enforcement at the ports, but not at embarkation
    • There was rigid enforcement at both embarkation and the ports, and it was very hard to get past them

Surprised to see this thread for Celebrity--usually it's about taking beer on board Royal Carib.

We bring our allotted two bottles of wine per cabin on board at the embarkation port & use the coupon for the special on two bottles of wine , For our next trip we ordered a bon voyage package to include scotch for DH.

Other than that we follow the rules....

Thanks for your input. But since this thread is specifically about bringing one's own personal wine purchases beyond what is allowed "by the rules", onto Celebrity ships in the Med, then it appears it doesn't really apply to you.

Just back from the Summit and we had no problem bringing alcohol on board in Barcelona. We started with 3 bottles of vodka in the suitcases and then purchased 6 bottles of wine in the duty free shop. Also bought some Red Bull, Diet Coke, and tonic in Barcelona and carried that on.

I did buy one bottle of Chianti in port and they told me to go to the alcohol table after security. I could have easily walked by the table and no one would have cared, but my family member was already there and wanted me to wait with them. I had no problem bringing on the limencillo or Ouzo I bought.

The poll really does not apply. It lumps everything together and I really think Celebrity security looks at it as a bottle of wine or a 40 oz of hard liquor big difference. We have been on 27 Cruises with Celebrity and have brought wine or a small liquer if it has been made where we were and never had a problem.

Shirley

I didn't do the poll either because it was confusing and looked like it was a general poll of wine/Mediterranean. I know it is posted in the Celebrity discussion forum though so I am assuming it is aimed only at Celebrity cruises.

We are going next March to Australia, so don't have experience yet with Celebrity.

We have cruised HAL, who has no limits on wine, in the med several times. we have taken 14 bottles on to begin an 18 day cruise, perfectly acceptable on HAL. I am quite sure I will only take two bottles on the Millenium, but at the first port i will attempt to bring additional on board to see if they confiscate. If they do, it will be my one and ONLY celebrity cruise. I will stick with HAL.

I didn't do the poll either because it was confusing and looked like it was a general poll of wine/Mediterranean. I know it is posted in the Celebrity discussion forum though so I am assuming it is aimed only at Celebrity cruises.

We are going next March to Australia, so don't have experience yet with Celebrity.

We have cruised HAL, who has no limits on wine, in the med several times. we have taken 14 bottles on to begin an 18 day cruise, perfectly acceptable on HAL. I am quite sure I will only take two bottles on the Millenium, but at the first port i will attempt to bring additional on board to see if they confiscate. If they do, it will be my one and ONLY celebrity cruise. I will stick with HAL.

Yes, this poll is specifically targetted to Celebrity cruises, and specifically targeted to wine in the Med. (I'm the one who created the poll.) I'm sorry you found it confusing - you might find it a little easier to understand if you read the text in the first post, which explains that I'm going on a Celebrity cruise in the Med, and want to bring my own wine purchases into my cabin. That's why I did not mention other regions, other types of alcohol, or other cruise lines. I posted the poll to help me get a feel for what's going on in the Med on Celebrity cruises, in terms of the ability to bring wine onboard.

I feel exactly as you do - if they confiscate, I will no longer cruise on Celebrity. I've read that HAL is much better about this. :)

My DH and I were on the the Mille last October in the Med and I brought wine back on board in Venice, Athens and Naples. I also was able to bring Ouzo in Athens and no one said a word (although it was a small bottle).

We also purchased several bottles of Lemoncello in Naples and no one bothered us.

Archived