Help! Need cabin change on upcoming cruise

cocopuff123

Thanks to all who have replied. I've learned a valuable lesson. Like I said, after 25 cruises with chosen cabins, this was my first booking a guarantee. Obviously this was a big mistake since I wanted two cabins close together, and even a bigger mistake for the cruise line reservationist who assured my husband that the cabins would be together, no matter what.

Having been on the Star Princess when it caught fire a few years back, I have concerns about not having my family members close by. I realize there is only a remote chance a situation like that would present itself again, but it was a one in a million chance back then and it happened. I can't tell you how frightening that experience was, especially when the life boats were lowered. Fortunately, they brought the fire under control at the same time, so we didn't have to abandon ship. Unfortunately, that memory will live with me forever, especially when I cruise.

CocoPuff, I was also on the Star Princess during the fire. We were traveling with our two daughters who had an inside cabin on the same deck as we were, but the other side. We went to our muster stations by different paths, and connected later that night. With the age of your mom and daughter I can understand your concern as our daughters were young adults, and we still worried. I traveled on the Sapphire Princess last year with my mom (79) in a different cabin. We all looked at where our muster stations were and agreed on a meeting point, in the rare event that another emergency happened. We had a few qualms at the first muster drill, and after that we just setteled down and enjoyed the cruise.

Best of luck to you and I hope you are able to enjoy your cruise.

Cocopuff--When I get nowhere with the CSR's, I have always found it helpful to go to the Captains Circle rep, explain my problem and they at least find someone who can answer the question. Is there any chance that your husband wrote down the name of the agent he made the booking with? Even without that, try calling the Circle rep, explain about the promise AND the fire, and see what they can do. I suspect the booking system WILL show who booked the cruise in the first place and gave your husband incorrect information. Best of luck with getting two rooms nearby, and let us know how this all worked out.

Cocopuff, I have a feeling that if you talk to someone at Princess that really CARES they could arrange for a switch. This is an unusual situation and I wish they were a bit more sympathetic since you have a bona fide reason. Everything is negotiable. After your experience I would be very stressed in your situation and you want to get away from the stress.

Just a thought. Since your mother and daughter's cabin is in a higher category perhaps when you board with the approval of the guest relations people you could ask a neighbor of yours to switch cabins. It would be a last resort but many people would be happy to help and they would get a better cabin. You just have to try to do it as early as possible upon boarding. Best of luck.

When you chose to buy a guarantee cabin' date=' you get what they assign you. Just because you have requested a certain assignment doesn't mean you'll get it.

Alway remember, if you want specific cabins or cabin arrangements, always buy it outright, not as a guarantee.

You can be moved around right up to sailing day. There's no reason to be upset with Princess....you get exactly what you pay for. Sometimes there might be an upgrade, most times, not.[/quote']

Thanks for posting the exact thing that was posted several times on page one. :rolleyes:

Cocopuff--When I get nowhere with the CSR's, I have always found it helpful to go to the Captains Circle rep, explain my problem and they at least find someone who can answer the question. Is there any chance that your husband wrote down the name of the agent he made the booking with? Even without that, try calling the Circle rep, explain about the promise AND the fire, and see what they can do. I suspect the booking system WILL show who booked the cruise in the first place and gave your husband incorrect information. Best of luck with getting two rooms nearby, and let us know how this all worked out.

good suggestion and nothing to lose!

Cocopuff, I have a feeling that if you talk to someone at Princess that really CARES they could arrange for a switch. This is an unusual situation and I wish they were a bit more sympathetic since you have a bona fide reason. Everything is negotiable. After your experience I would be very stressed in your situation and you want to get away from the stress.

as has been mentioned, every time you call you may get a different answer. try again and explain why this is important to you.

Just a thought. Since your mother and daughter's cabin is in a higher category perhaps when you board with the approval of the guest relations people you could ask a neighbor of yours to switch cabins. It would be a last resort but many people would be happy to help and they would get a better cabin. You just have to try to do it as early as possible upon boarding. Best of luck.

also a good last resort.

i'm always amazed how well these boards work. brainstorming with hundreds of people. there are bound to be good advice and workable solutions.

i cannot imagine how frightening the star fire was for you and i think you do deserve special treatment in this instance.

best of luck to you. please let us know how it all turns out.

Although in theory this sounds like a good plan. I guarantee you that guest realations would not sanction something like this. And in fact if it was done without their approval, the neighbors being asked may possibly complain and then there could be a real problem. This is something I don't think I would even consider.

We all wished that others traveling were as considerate as we are, but that isn't always the case, unfortunately.

the neighbors being asked may possibly complain and then there could be a real problem.

We all wished that others traveling were as considerate as we are, but that isn't always the case, unfortunately.

it never occurred to me that someone could get upset at just being asked. you're probably right. i'm feeling very sheltered and naive at the moment.:(

do you think if this was done ahead of time like on the roll call, that it would work?

it never occurred to me that someone could get upset at just being asked.you're probably right. i'm feeling very sheltered and naive at the moment.:(

do you think if this was done ahead of time like on the roll call, that it would work?

We all know it takes all kinds to make the world go around.

Those next door could be the nicest people in the entire universe and not mind being asked at all, whether they would agree or not is a totally different matter.

OR, you could find that when the door is answered they feel like they have been 'approached' to do something they had no intention of doing. They booked their cruise, chose their stateroom and now some stranger they have never met before is asking them to switch cabins?

Think about it?

I for one would never even consider doing something like this. They could already be unpacked, or expecting gifts delivered to their stateroom, or just don't want to be bothered.

Remember, there is more to just exchanging keys here but going to the purser's desk and standing in a very long line that first day, having accounts switched over, having luggage moved, etc. etc. I honestly don't think even a 'nice passenger' would not consider this to be a bit rude their first day onboard having to go through all this type of hassle.

Maybe I am wrong, but it is something I would not ever consider.

Having had a switch of cabins on Sovereign of the Sea last month, because of a mobility problem my parents encountered, I know the cruise line wants everyone to be happy. I am not saying walk up to people and ask them ,but a post- it on their cabin door might work wonders.No confrontation just a request. Upgrade, first come first serve. If you post on the boards for your cruise that could work too. Best of luck. The switch we had saved our cruise.My parents could never have enjoyed the cruise if they couldn't get into the shower in their junior suite. The switch they made enabled two groups of cruisers to be very happy.The other people didn't want the easy access shower. They wanted a tub,(which had a very high side which my mother could not negotiate). I work in customer sevice(supermarket level) . You would be amazed what you can get if you just ask nicely! :o

I've cruised Princess 5 previous times,

When we received our cruise info, our cabin is on Deck 8, and my mother and daughter are on Deck 15, which will be

very inconvenient for us. Without going into detail, just know that it is important that their cabin be close to ours for several reasons. Repeated calls to Princess have been made to correct the problem. They claim they can't do anything. Since both cabins were on a "guarantee", and the Deck 15 cabin is a higher category than the same cabin on Deck 8

If cabins had to be close together why did you book a "guarantee? :confused:

Doesn't make sense....:rolleyes:

You should have booked two cabins together.

It's not Princesses fault.

If cabins had to be close together why did you book a "guarantee? :confused:Doesn't make sense....:rolleyes:You should have booked two cabins together.It's not Princesses fault.
Sandytoes, if you read the thread you will see several times where OP posted that when booking the cabins, the CSR said they would be kept together even if booking guarantees....incorrectly, of course, but OP relied on the statement by the Princess person. So in that sense it IS Princess' fault.

Sandytoes, if you read the thread you will see several times where OP posted that when booking the cabins, the CSR said they would be kept together even if booking guarantees....incorrectly, of course, but OP relied on the statement by the Princess person. So in that sense it IS Princess' fault.
Requesting and getting are two separate things.

OP stated she asked at the time of booking that they be close together.

I am sure she misunderstood the Rep.

Princess, as well as other cruises lines, will never guarantee multiple cabins when booking a guarantee.

They are usually scattered to different areas of the ship.

Some of the Princess reps you speak to have never been on a cruise and give the first response that pops into their head. I have called when I had a question but usually use the same method I do when adding a column of numbers. I do it twice and if I get the same answer, I quit, if different answers, I call again or add my column a third time.

If someone at Princess wants to do it, it can be done. A couple of years ago, we booked a guarantee. A week or so before the cruise, we got an assigned cabin ( an upgrade ). When we got to the pier, we found out that we were in a different cabin ( thought we had been downgraded back to what we paid for but at check-in we were assured it would be the same category or better ) It was a better upgrade. Our names were not outside our cabin, our room steward was not around to ask but our keys worked. Out of curiosity, we went down to the original cabin we were assigned. The occupants were not around but the room steward told us that it was changed to accommodate a family so they would have the 2 cabins side by side. Our name tag was outside the cabin so it seems that it was a very last minute change. SO I think it can be done.

I agree. If you didn't get it changed before your cruise, I would advise you to arrive early and upon boarding, try to see if one of your neighbors would be willing to change. If the request was made before they unpacked, they would probably be more likely to accommodate your request than if they were already settled in.

Requesting and getting are two separate things.

OP stated she asked at the time of booking that they be close together.

I am sure she misunderstood the Rep.

Princess, as well as other cruises lines, will never guarantee multiple cabins when booking a guarantee.

They are usually scattered to different areas of the ship.

:rolleyes: I will never understand how people take a position that a cruiseline can never be wrong.

Some of the Princess reps you speak to have never been on a cruise and give the first response that pops into their head. I have called when I had a question but usually use the same method I do when adding a column of numbers. I do it twice and if I get the same answer, I quit, if different answers, I call again or add my column a third time.

I completely agree with you on this. It's too bad that they don't train their reps to give accurate information so you don't have to work so hard to get the correct answer.

:rolleyes: I will never understand how people take a position that a cruiseline can never be wrong.

If I remember back to the OP's first or second post, her HUSBAND booked this cruise and HE SAID the cruise line told him they would arrange for the cabins next to each other. So, it is a he said to she said that they said type of thing. ;)

Quoted from the OP in post #7 "That's the last time I'll let my husband do the booking!"

If I remember back to the OP's first or second post, her HUSBAND booked this cruise and HE SAID the cruise line told him they would arrange for the cabins next to each other. So, it is a he said to she said that they said type of thing. ;)

Quoted from the OP in post #7 "That's the last time I'll let my husband do the booking!"

You are correct and I don't disagree. I think the OP meant that booking a guarantee was his fault.

I've cruised Princess 5 previous times, and have a New England cruise scheduled for 9/28. We booked 2 cabins, and asked at the time of booking that they be close together, since my husband and I are taking my 80 year old mother and our 14 year old daughter with us.

When we received our cruise info, our cabin is on Deck 8, and my mother and daughter are on Deck 15, which will be very inconvenient for us. Without going into detail, just know that it is important that their cabin be close to ours for several reasons. Repeated calls to Princess have been made to correct the problem. They claim they can't do anything. Since both cabins were on a "guarantee", and the Deck 15 cabin is a higher category than the same cabin on Deck 8, I've asked Princess to try to move someone else with a guarantee to the better cabin on Deck 15, and put my mother and daughter on Deck 8 near us. They claim they can't do this, which makes absolutely no sense. I am extremely disappointed in their lack of concern to resolve this matter.

Has anyone else experienced a problem like this, and does anyone have any additional suggestions. We've already spoken to supervisors with no luck.

Hi Coco:

Perhaps someone else has suggested this, but for good measure...

When you arrive on the ship, go to the room next to your own and kindly ask if they would like an upgrade. It may not work, but you never know. :)

Tee

I really think that there is too much passing the buck here. What in the world was the OP's husband thinking when he booked guarantees if it was so important they all be together?? No matter what the CSR supposedly told him, why take a chance?? I don't mean to beat up on the OP but there should be a strong lesson here for other cruisers --- it's not worth a possible upgrade or saving a little money. We all need to take responsibility for ourselves.

Thanks to all who have replied. I've learned a valuable lesson. Like I said, after 25 cruises with chosen cabins, this was my first booking a guarantee. Obviously this was a big mistake since I wanted two cabins close together, and even a bigger mistake for the cruise line reservationist who assured my husband that the cabins would be together, no matter what.

I really think that there is too much passing the buck here. What in the world was the OP's husband thinking when he booked guarantees if it was so important they all be together?? No matter what the CSR supposedly told him, why take a chance?? I don't mean to beat up on the OP but there should be a strong lesson here for other cruisers --- it's not worth a possible upgrade or saving a little money. We all need to take responsibility for ourselves.

I think it's unfair to say this. The OP was just asking for suggestions to see if there is anything she can do and has acknowledged that it was a mistake to book a guarantee. These boards have lots of helpful and useful hints so it doesn't hurt to come on and ask for help. Great for brainstorming.

That's the last time I'll let my husband do the booking! I've cruised 25 times before, but never on a guarantee, and never will again either, but that's because I did the booking through my travel agent. My husband booked directly with the cruise line, and their agent promised that they would keep the cabins together since that's the way we booked them. Promises...Promises!

Did he contact the specific agent that made the promise?

Archived