Full transit of the canal, Do we really need to pay for shore excursions?

miller1975

We are taking a full transit canal cruise. You can depart the ship in Gatun Lake and take shore excursions. Then the ship will continue through the last lock and arrive at Cristobel Pier.

My question is why would a person want to take a shore excursion at this time. Is there one that can't be missed? Please let me know your opinions.

Thank you!

The one "tour" that should not be be missed is the full transit. Unless you have done several full transits, it would be counter productive to get off the ship and miss the transit.

To answer your question as to why someone would want to take a shore excursion while taking a full transit..... I can't think of a reason! Panama has lots of great things to see but the Canal is the main attraction. Stay on board.

The one "tour" that should not be be missed is the full transit. Unless you have done several full transits, it would be counter productive to get off the ship and miss the transit.

To answer your question as to why someone would want to take a shore excursion while taking a full transit..... I can't think of a reason! Panama has lots of great things to see but the Canal is the main attraction. Stay on board.

I've got to agree to disagree. The OP has gone through 90% of the canal and if there is a worthwhile tour he/she should jump at the chance. In April we did a "partial" that was really like going through the canal twice. The next day we did an Eco-tour by skiff to some of the islands in Gatun Lake. It was a great tour. I'm sure there are other worthwhile tours. :)

I am assuming the op is transiting from Pacific to Atlantic since the ship is docking in Cristobal and they will be able to get off the ship in Gatun Lake. Another assumption would be that the tendering would take place at the anchorage near Gatun Locks. If that is correct, I believe the tours that would be available would be shorter tours (3 to 4 hours) since the ship would normally sail from Cristobal early the same evening. The partial transit that you took, (from your signature) is one of the more unique Canal itineraries with the ship staying in Panama overnight. This certainly gives you greater flexibility in taking tours or staying on the ship for transiting the same route out of the Canal.

Lots of assumptions have gone into this:o :) so it is a little hard to know for sure if this is what the op is looking for. As well as not knowing what the op's interests are doesn't make it any easier. On a recent cruise our tablemates were talking about a PC transit, they said it was "OK" but sort of like watching paint dry. Although it is usually hot enough for paint to dry during a transit, that certainly is not my take on it. You made a good point and is something to consider but, I'm still going to disagree with your disagreement;) :).

Glad you enjoyed your PC cruise, the full and the partial have been on of my favorite cruises. Although I think the partial is on the way out like the DoDo bird. RCI has substituted their partials with a stop in Colon after next spring and I'm affraid others will follow:(.

Happy Cruising

I am assuming the op is transiting from Pacific to Atlantic since the ship is docking in Cristobal and they will be able to get off the ship in Gatun Lake. Another assumption would be that the tendering would take place at the anchorage near Gatun Locks. If that is correct, I believe the tours that would be available would be shorter tours (3 to 4 hours) since the ship would normally sail from Cristobal early the same evening. The partial transit that you took, (from your signature) is one of the more unique Canal itineraries with the ship staying in Panama overnight. This certainly gives you greater flexibility in taking tours or staying on the ship for transiting the same route out of the Canal.

Lots of assumptions have gone into this:o :) so it is a little hard to know for sure if this is what the op is looking for. As well as not knowing what the op's interests are doesn't make it any easier. On a recent cruise our tablemates were talking about a PC transit, they said it was "OK" but sort of like watching paint dry. Although it is usually hot enough for paint to dry during a transit, that certainly is not my take on it. You made a good point and is something to consider but, I'm still going to disagree with your disagreement;) :).

Glad you enjoyed your PC cruise, the full and the partial have been on of my favorite cruises. Although I think the partial is on the way out like the DoDo bird. RCI has substituted their partials with a stop in Colon after next spring and I'm affraid others will follow:(.

Happy Cruising

My point was, which I didn't state very well is, that by doing about 90% of the canal tour, if an interesting tour from the ship is available, grab it. I believe that there are many tours that add to the experience of the canal crossing. On the other hand if nothing interest the OP staying on ship is still an enjoyable option.

Although I think the partial is on the way out like the DoDo bird. RCI has substituted their partials with a stop in Colon after next spring and I'm affraid others will follow:(.

Happy Cruising

My only other experience was a Celebrity cruise from Fort Lauderdale that stopped in Cristobal in 04. We then did the Two Oceans by train. No comparison. And just entering the Gatun Locks while slightly interest is no where nearly as interesting as traversing the whole canal. I can't say I'd miss the cruise if the cruiseline dropped the "in and out" of Gatun Lake gimmick.

Archived