Need Help: Small children on excursions ???

mdcruzer

Cruising on AOS during April 2009 and need advice on excursions with a 5yr old and a 3yr old. We plan to visit a beach at nearly every stop then onto shopping/sightseeing. I believe we need strollers as the walking may be too much for their little legs. Strollers would have to be lightweight so they can be carried to the beach. Would umbrella strollers be okay? Need something with a cover for the sun.

Does anyone have any suggestions on taking excursions with two small children?

We will be on the Southern Carribbean route visiting the following ports:

Oranjestad, Aruba

Willemstad, Curacao

Philipsburg, St. Maarten

Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas

need info on close beaches or reasonable tours that would start at beach and then return to shopping area

Thanks

I can't advise on beaches, but these are a couple of tours that I thought were fantastic for my kids, aged 3-12:

Aruba: De Palm Island - there is a waterpark - yippee! plus snorkeling plus a nice sit down lunch area. I've read that there is a larger waterpark under construction on the island - Morgan's Island, but I don't have any info on expected completion date.

Curacao - Ostrich Safari. It doesn't get any better than this for my kids.

boulders covered two and I can suggest some for the other two ports :D

St. Thomas - Coral World and Coki Beach in St. Thomas.

http://www.coralworldvi.com

If you just want a beach - Magen's Bay is rated one of the 10 best in the World.

St. Martin - we like Orient Beach. We've also done "Under the Two Flags Tour"...it's an air conditioned bus tour of both sides of the island and both countries. Since Orient Beach is "tops optional" and on the far end at the nudist resort - clothing optional - some parents like to stay away from there. So they recomend Divi Little Bay.

Definitely bring an umbrella stroller--light enough to handle, and effective enough for the kids.

None of the actual beaches are long walks from the road/parking areas, so too much walking won't be a problem! But it's nice to have transport for the kids, just in case.

We plan to visit a beach (Eagle?) close to the pier. Will probably spend about three hours in the water then return for lunch then a little shopping before naptime. Would like to visit a sea turtle farm. Is there one on the Southern Carib. route?

Another idea is sailing excursions - my kids have always loved them, and we've taken them along since they were about 16 months old. We usually will not book through the ship but find a local company. (check out the ports of call board on cruise critic) Kids are often half price or free and we have always had a great time.

Archived