Orlando/Cape Canaveral???

bbkitty

Not sure where to put this thread...

I booked an Eastern Caribbean cruise next September going to St Thomas, St Maarten, etc. The ports were the most important thing to me but I was bummed when the TA said to me "Carnival has NO ships going to those ports in September out of Miami OR Ft Lauderdale AT ALL"

So I had to leave out of "Orlando", which means exactly where? Been a long time since I've been to Orlando but it was landlocked last I remember.

What do you guys do about that and please give details on where and how...need help! This is for my boyfriends birthday, his first cruise, and he's already bummed we aren't going out of Ft Lauderdale or Miami...don't want the departure to jinx anything else.

Any and all advice appreciated! :)

I booked an Eastern Caribbean cruise next September going to St Thomas, St Maarten, etc. The ports were the most important thing to me but I was bummed when the TA said to me "Carnival has NO ships going to those ports in September out of Miami OR Ft Lauderdale AT ALL"

So I had to leave out of "Orlando", which means exactly where? Been a long time since I've been to Orlando but it was landlocked last I remember.

What do you guys do about that and please give details on where and how...need help! This is for my boyfriends birthday, his first cruise, and he's already bummed we aren't going out of Ft Lauderdale or Miami...don't want the departure to jinx anything else.

Here is an option for FLL..8 DAY Freedom

http://www.carnival.com/Itinerary.aspx?embkCode=FLL&itinCode=EC1&durDays=8&shipCode=FD&subRegionCode=CE&rateCode=B&sailingID=48332&sailDate=9/12/2009

My last cruise went out of Cape Canaveral. We flew into Orlando and used Travelynx to shuttle (too expensive to take a cab) to Cape Canaveral, where we stayed the night at Country Inn & Suites pre-cruise.

Here are web-sites:

http://www.travelynx.net/

http://www.countryinns.com/capecanaveralfl

Here is a thread that may be helpful, it is the famous 'I Work In Port Canaveral". A few locals post often and are very helpful.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=436720

Just cruised from there last weekend. Very easy to drive. One road (528 which turns into A1A) once you leave the airport takes you right there. All highway with one toll of $1.25. Takes about an hour driving.

If you are staying at the Residence Inn or Country Inn and Suites, Hertz is right there. We rented from Avis which is a mile or 2 past the port but they shuttle you to the port.

Bill

I just got back from the Glory, and by far Port Canaveral is the easiest embarkation port I've ever sailed from.

We fly into Orlando (MCO) and rent a Budget car. This last time they gave us a new SUV for the trip to the port and a brand new Impala for the trip back to the airport. Both cars were under $100 total. They have a deal that if you drive less than 75 miles you just prepay a $13.99 refueling fee, if you drive more than that and put gas in it, then you just show your receipt and they remove the $13.99 charge.

It's about a 45 mile drive from the airport to the Budget place in Cape Canaveral if you are coming in the same day. They will shuttle you to and from the pier. We always go in a day early and stay at the Best Western at Cocoa Beach.

I just got back from the Glory, and by far Port Canaveral is the easiest embarkation port I've ever sailed from.

We fly into Orlando (MCO) and rent a Budget car. This last time they gave us a new SUV for the trip to the port and a brand new Impala for the trip back to the airport. Both cars were under $100 total. They have a deal that if you drive less than 75 miles you just prepay a $13.99 refueling fee, if you drive more than that and put gas in it, then you just show your receipt and they remove the $13.99 charge.

It's about a 45 mile drive from the airport to the Budget place in Cape Canaveral if you are coming in the same day. They will shuttle you to and from the pier. We always go in a day early and stay at the Best Western at Cocoa Beach.

We are doing the Feb 14th cruise and are flying in 2 days early (don't fly on the 13th). We will also be staying at the Best Western. We were wondering how you liked it.

Thanks

I was on the Glory in August. We flew into Orlando on Friday night, rented a car one way from Dollar ($45.00 total) and stayed at the Comfort Suites in Cocoa Beach ($78.00 total on Hotwire). The hotel is 5 minutes from cruise pier. Dollar will drop you off and pick you up at the pier. To top off the tank in Cocoa Beach, after driving from Orlando airport was around $20.00.

Archived