Phone & Internet question...HELP

LUV THE SEA

Unfortunately I will have to do some work while on vacation so I have to stay in touch by phone/e-mail...

We will be sailing to Canada-- Halifax & St John's ....can anyone tell me abiut cell phone reception...I have verizon -am I to do anything with my phone before I leave???, We went to Halifax a few years ago but I don't remember

Also, onboard ship does anyone know if it is quicker internet service when in port??? I know evryone says the internet meoves at a snails pace but is that when you are at sea...or is it the same when you are in port...

I need your expertise advise before I buy any mintes otherwise I will take my laptop and get connection on land if I need to. But if it is nottoo slow I'd rather pay for the convenience of the internet onboard.

We did that itinerary in July and have Alltel phone service. We had service for a lot of the cruise without going through the ship's satellite system. You need to call your provider. Our plan covers that portion of Canada with free service. Yours may not.

The internet on the ship is extremely slow. You'd be much better off accessing the internet from land. I believe you will be extremely frustrated trying to work on the ship.

I would buy some minutes and try it on your laptop and see if it is too slow for what you need .. if there are things you can download and work on and then upload .. you might find that it is adequate .. in fact depending on what you are trying to do it may be adequate in any event and would certainly beat working in port. Data seems to be faster .. as on most computers .. than graphics. good luck to you.

I would buy some minutes and try it on your laptop and see if it is too slow for what you need .. if there are things you can download and work on and then upload .. you might find that it is adequate .. in fact depending on what you are trying to do it may be adequate in any event and would certainly beat working in port. Data seems to be faster .. as on most computers .. than graphics. good luck to you.

Thanks mine is data and checking e-mail..if I need more minutes do they charge more to add on than when you initially buy them?

Thanks mine is data and checking e-mail..if I need more minutes do they charge more to add on than when you initially buy them?

You can but a package and when you use the minutes up you can buy another. Largest package is 250 minutes for $100. There is a 150 minute package for $75, and a 100 minute package for $55. Not all packages are offered at all times, Usually there is a special in the internet cafe if you sign up for your minutes the first day you get up to an extra 30 minutes for free (depending on what package you buy). You can also pay by the minute which is way more expensive

You can but a package and when you use the minutes up you can buy another. Largest package is 250 minutes for $100. There is a 150 minute package for $75, and a 100 minute package for $55. Not all packages are offered at all times, Usually there is a special in the internet cafe if you sign up for your minutes the first day you get up to an extra 30 minutes for free (depending on what package you buy). You can also pay by the minute which is way more expensive

Thanks for the breakdown...:) I may buy a small amount of minutes I know in Newport there is a Panera's with free wi fi and in boston there is free wi fi at starbucks...so maybe I will just use it in canada.:)

Archived