which itinerary?

angel-mom

We are looking to do a cruise over spring break end of March to beg. of April. Have done Disney and loved it, but kids will be 9 girl and 12 boy and want more activities. We want warm weather and would love warm water.

Here are the choices-

Liberty of Seas,, San Juan, Philipsburg, and Labadee. 7 nt

or

Independence fo the Sea , Belize City, Costa Maya, and Cozumel 6 nt

or

Freedom of the Seas, Labadee. Ochos Rios, Georgetown and Cozumel 7 nt

or any other ideas?

I've done the 1st and 3rd (not on Freedom tho) and both are great. If the kids like beach/water, you might be better w/the 3rd as Cayman (stingrays) can't be beat and Cozumel has a very nice Paradise Beach plus Labadee is a great beach day. Ocho Rios was nothing that we liked personally.

San Juan isn't as kid-friendly - more history, shopping, walking around. I'm sure you could pick a water excursion that might help tho.

Go for 7 nights, 6 wouldn't be enough. In fact, I'm dying for a 9 night next!

I would choose Freedom of the Seas. Stingrays in GC, Coz has swim with dolphins or beaches and Carlos and Charlies (great fun for the family) and Dunns River Falls in Ochos. The ship has kids activities galore too. We loved San Juan, but don't think it would be as much fun for kids, but the segway's were great. Hope this helps!

i would also pick Freedom. seems like the best and most fun ports and probably have the most interesting excursions. i would go to those ports over and over.

ocho rios: dunns river falls but i believe this port also had an interesting tubing (lazy tubing or something like that) excursion that got really great reviews. there is also shopping bargains but don't shop alone and be prepared to haggle if you want the best price. some people like Margarita but i personally thought it was too loud and too crowded to enjoy.

cozumel: beautiful beaches, snorkeling, shopping, carlos and charlies.

georgetown: stingray city, turtle farms, tortuga rum cake, 7 mile beach, and don't forget to go to the area of "Hell".

these are just a few of the things but there are many more.

• 3 months later...

Why all western Caribbean itineraries? Do these leave from a location close to you? I really prefer the southern islands, although I've traveled most in the western Caribbean. I thought it was cheaper to cruise out of Florida, due to air fare. However, I discovered that the cruises out of San Juan are less expensive than the cruises out of Florida, so it balances out.

My kids (ages 15 & 18 at the time), both loved Cozumel and Grand Cayman. Both these islands are very safe also. If you go to Ocho Rios, I'd keep your kids close at hand and book organized excursions as opposed to self-guided tours. Jamaica more sketchy than the other two ports.

ENJOY!

Archived