Farewell to the Grand Gala Buffets

DGP1111

I checked on the first six pages of threads and didn't see this mentioned (and I apologize if it was there and I overlooked it), but Carnival has definitely discontinued the Grand Gala buffets fleet-wide on all sailings departing after 9/11/08.

According to the memo, ship crew members are to advise passengers (who ask) that due to an increased variety of dining options throughout the sailings, and because of decreased passenger interest in the grand gala buffets, they are immediately being discontinued.

I checked on the first six pages of threads and didn't see this mentioned (and I apologize if it was there and I overlooked it), but Carnival has definitely discontinued the Grand Gala buffets fleet-wide on all sailings departing after 9/11/08.

According to the memo, ship crew members are to advise passengers (who ask) that due to an increased variety of dining options throughout the sailings, and because of decreased passenger interest in the grand gala buffets, they are immediately being discontinued.

Do you have a link to that info?

Do you have a link to that info?

Sorry, CPC, there is no link.

It's from a memo the ships received during these last two weeks. I highly doubt CCL will post something online about an experience that is being removed. The memo only offered a canned response by crew to those passenger who inquire about the absence of this evening buffet.

After quickly reading the posts, I would say you guys have hit the nail on the head. There is a lot of interest in "viewing" the buffet, but not a lot of interest in actually eating it. I would guess that the majority of the food goes to waste (and waist!). Of my 4 cruises, I have looked at 1 buffet (my sister dragged me there), and never eaten at any of them.

I won't miss it.

On the Miracle June 2nd sailing there was not a lack of interest. The line was huge for viewing. I didn't stick around to eat, but that line was already pretty long 30 minutes before they openned it up again.

I think that's the problem. People would line up deep to take pictures, but wouldn't stick around to eat, and much of the food would go to waste. I know I have never eaten off the gala buffet, but I did go take photos (I always get the late seating, so I'm too full). It's a shame, but I understand why they made the decision.

Is the gala buffet the same as the midnight buffet? If it is I'm really bummed now because that was the one thing I said I would do on our cruise next week. My friends and family have all told me it's worth staying up for- even just to see it. :confused:

Yes, they are the same. Sorry about your luck:(

So Mexican Buffet is GONE!!!

REALLY!

Oh...SMALL chance we will never cruise again!

(not kidding, my mom talks about the AMAZING mexican buffet WEEKS before a cruise!)

It's the Gala buffet that's discontinued, not the Mexican buffet. People always seem to eat off the Mexican buffet!

This is only a guess, but I would guess that this is ONLY about the Grand Gala Buffet in the dining room. My guess is that the themed buffets like the Mexican on the Lido deck and the normal midnight [actually 11:30] food service in the Lido buffet will continue.

In the "old days," there was a Gala Buffet at midnight EVERY NIGHT on every ship and every line.

Line after line cut that back to only 2 nights per cruise and then one night only. They wasted THOUSANDS OF TONS of food on those elaborate displays that more and more were only picked at rather than eaten.

But they were replaced by an occasional theme buffet and the nightly servings in the normal buffet area. Those have no fanfare, just food if you are hungry. And my guess is they will be unchanged.

I haven't been to a Gala Buffet in 10 or more years. Late seating makes it all but impossible to eat anything that soon.

Dan

I'd like to see them switch it to a noon grand gala buffet -- then we'd still have room to eat, could enjoy their beautiful artistry and the ice carvings, etc. At the very least, I hope they will put some of the ornate ice sculptures in the entrance to the dining rooms on elegant night. I always marvel at their beauty!

Archived