Juneau Rental Cars

irishgrandma

Just made reservations to cruise on the Norwegian Sun in May. The amount of time we will be in Juneau is very short and we want to make good use of our time. Does anyone know if it is possible to rent a car in Juneau near the docking areas? Or do you have to find transportation to the airport to pick up a car? Any advice or info will be greatly appreciated.

I've read on the board that Rent a Wreck is the only company that rents from downtown.

We did not rent a car and did fine....depending on what you want to do, a rental car may or may not allow you to make best use of your time.

In my opinion, your port time is too short for a rental car. You might want to look over a shore excursion list and see what may be of interest??

I do highly recommend that you do consider the add on Tracy Arm jet boat tour, absolutely necessary for me, and grossly superior to anything seen from the cruiseship.

We rented a car from Rent A Wreck in Juneau. We called them when we got off the ship and they came and picked us up in the rental car. We then had to drive to their office at the airport to sign docs. We picked up a map and got tips on where to go. The airport is close to Mendenhall Glacier so we went there first. A car is good if you want to get out of town to explore, otherwise, everything is close to the dock, shopping etc. We enjoyed having a car, was cheaper than taking the shuttle to Mendenhall for 5 people plus we got to go other places also. One caveat, the latest you can keep the car is 8PM, you have to drop the car in a lot near the dock by this time and it costs $15 extra, otherwise, you have to drop it at their office by 6PM. Also, if your ship docks at the AJ dock which is the farthest out, one person should buy the shuttle ticket. That way the driver can drop everyone at the ship and return the car, then take the shuttle back to the ship.

I think having a car is great if you want to go to Mendenhall and explore out of town. We did not have a lot of time left for shopping and siteseeing in the city however.

Archived