Paying for our cruise

JeanfromBNA

We have just put a $500 deposit on our very first cruise, and we're going to Alaska in September, 2009. Is there any advantage to paying for our cruise in full early, or should we wait until the total amount is due about nine months from now? That makes more sense to me. Will we be able to make reservations for the specialty restaurant, the spa, or shore excursions before we are paid in full? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

No advantage to pay in full earlier. Might as well earn a little interest of your own on the money rather than give it to X to hold for you. Just keep watching the price you agreed to pay because if the same category room cost drops, you generally can get that credited to you before final payment is due. I'd guess your chances are pretty good for that, as Sept is the shoulder season for Alaska and they'll be looking to fill the ship. You or your TA, if you used one, will have to call X for the credit.

I forget how soon you can order excursions. Soon after the actual final payment due date, as I remember. You won't get a heads up on that even if you pay the total due early.

Have a great cruise. Be sure to count on this board to answer any specific questions about your ship, and go to the ports of call board to get info re the stops.

Will we be able to make reservations for the specialty restaurant, the spa, or shore excursions before we are paid in full? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

You should be able to make reservations in the speciality restaurant and the spa on line now, and shore excursions once they become available on line. Just be aware that your credit card will be charged once you've made reservations or booked any excursions. By the same token, you'll get a refund anytime you cancel, be it on line or on board. Shore excursions do have a time limit, but even on board, the shore excursion desk people are pretty accommodating.

HTH,

Ellen

I do not believe you can make res a year in advance for the restaurants. Let us know.

I also doubt you can book the restaurant this early. I'm sailing next July 09 and can't access the speciality restaurant booking online yet. I'd be interested to know if your experience is different.

Frankie

You should be able to make reservations in the speciality restaurant and the spa on line now, and shore excursions once they become available on line. Just be aware that your credit card will be charged once you've made reservations or booked any excursions. By the same token, you'll get a refund anytime you cancel, be it on line or on board. Shore excursions do have a time limit, but even on board, the shore excursion desk people are pretty accommodating.

HTH,

Ellen

I do not think - since they are first time cruisers - they can reserve specialty resturant this far in advance outside of Captains Club or repeat cruiser.

But the rules may have changed and I missed it.

I do not think - since they are first time cruisers - they can reserve specialty resturant this far in advance outside of Captains Club or repeat cruiser.

But the rules may have changed and I missed it.

You're probably right. I never even thought of the fact that Captain's Club members get priority. My bad:D

Ellen

Archived