New Ports for Us - Kid Friendly Excursions?

Quincella

I'm considering a cruise that will go to several ports of call that we've never been to before, including Belize, Roatan and Costa Maya.

Since we'll be "beaching it" in Cozumel, I think we'd probably prefer to do something else in these other three locations. The problem is, I'm not sure what there is to do that will appeal to both of my children. At the time of the cruise, they will be 13 and 7, both girls, and I will be sailing with them alone (single mom).

Any comments and/or suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

There are some great suggestions about Belize (and even a few about Roatan) here...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=808378

Costa Maya was pretty much destroyed by Cat 5 Hurricane Dean back in 2007, so ships are just going to start sailing there again in Oct 31 (starting with a HAL ship)

I'll be there in Feb. So I will keep looking for reviews from that area when the ships start arriving at the end of next month,.

We just recently returned from Belize, Roatan and Cozumel (Grand Cayman got canceled due to Hurricane Ike). In Roatan we did the Pirates, Birds and Monkeys of the Caribbean. It was EXCELLENT. I would suggest that. We had our 9 mo. old daughter with us, but there were several kids that were there as well. It was really a great excursion.

As for Belize, we did the Wild Wings Butterfly excursion. I don't recommend that one. I would definitely do an excursion there, just not that one!

We just recently returned from Belize, Roatan and Cozumel (Grand Cayman got canceled due to Hurricane Ike). In Roatan we did the Pirates, Birds and Monkeys of the Caribbean. It was EXCELLENT. I would suggest that. We had our 9 mo. old daughter with us, but there were several kids that were there as well. It was really a great excursion.

As for Belize, we did the Wild Wings Butterfly excursion. I don't recommend that one. I would definitely do an excursion there, just not that one!

Thanks! I probably would do the cave tubing thing in Belize (and I'm glad to have been affirmed by others who've replied to my thread) but am really at a loss for the other two.

Is the excursion you mentioned in Roatan through the cruise line? If so, which one?

Thanks! I probably would do the cave tubing thing in Belize (and I'm glad to have been affirmed by others who've replied to my thread) but am really at a loss for the other two.

Is the excursion you mentioned in Roatan through the cruise line? If so, which one?

Sorry, unless you are using the private tour guide, no cave tubing for the 7 year old. :( My daughter is 8 so I was checking out those tours today...the minimum age is 10 on one and 12 on another.

What cruiseline are you going with? I was looking at the excursions for RCCL. So if you are doing another cruise line, the age minimum may be different. ;)

So no cave tubing for my family.

Sorry, unless you are using the private tour guide, no cave tubing for the 7 year old. :( My daughter is 8 so I was checking out those tours today...the minimum age is 10 on one and 12 on another.

What cruiseline are you going with? I was looking at the excursions for RCCL. So if you are doing another cruise line, the age minimum may be different. ;)

So no cave tubing for my family.

I hadn't thought of an age limit for cave tubing! I'm sailing with Carnival, but I never do excursions through the ship. Always do private tours. I'll have to check that out! If it's a no-go, then I'm not sure what I'll do. Ugh.

Thanks for the heads up on that!

I hadn't thought of an age limit for cave tubing! I'm sailing with Carnival, but I never do excursions through the ship. Always do private tours. I'll have to check that out! If it's a no-go, then I'm not sure what I'll do. Ugh.

Thanks for the heads up on that!

Our son was 6 last November when we did it and was no problem. Major Tom has no age limit within reason. I would e mail him. He always got back to me the same day or the next day. They really took good care of us. Besides the day we went the cruise ship excursions did not even go cause they had heavy rains days before. But really the river was not violent at all. If we had not done a private tour we wouldn't of had the chance to do the cave tubing.

Our son was 6 last November when we did it and was no problem. Major Tom has no age limit within reason. I would e mail him. He always got back to me the same day or the next day. They really took good care of us. Besides the day we went the cruise ship excursions did not even go cause they had heavy rains days before. But really the river was not violent at all. If we had not done a private tour we wouldn't of had the chance to do the cave tubing.

Good information! I've read great things about Major Tom and one other (can't remember off the top of my head). I'm glad to know it could still be a possibility for us.

We did book this excursion through the cruiseline (Carnival). If you want to find it on your own do a search for Gumbalina Park. I'm 99% positive that's what it is called. It was a little bit of a drive to get there, but well worth it!

Keep us posted on what you decide to do!

We always book excursions on our own unless the ship gets re-routed due to a hurricane...:eek:

Anyway, Belize is the one place where we would really have to think twice about booking independently. There is such a long tender trip from the ship to the port, and, most of the excursions involve long drives away from the port. It's a great place to easily miss the ship.

We have heard many good things about the local guides there.

So--just something to think about.

CeleBrat

We took almost the same cruise in Feb. We have 3 kids ages 10, 11 and 15. We did cavetubing in Belize and in Roatan we did this:

http://www.finsandflippers.com/en/index.html

It was a very short walk down the pier to their dock and we had the whole island to ourselves (well there maybe 6 other people there). Very clean, reasonable. I'd highly recommend it

I agree with the comment on not booking Belize on your own but would add the caveat if you are doing a long excursion. If you are doing something short then no big deal.

Belize has some good Mayan ruins also if you are interested in that type of thing. We've been to two there. Altun Ha is decent ruins. Also, Lamanai ruins is good and is located in the jungle. We had to take a boat down the river as part of the excursion to reach Lamanai.

We are were not too impressed with Costa Maya but I know some people do like it.

Roatan is beautiful and has many options of things to see. The water is great and clear as well.

David

We always book excursions on our own unless the ship gets re-routed due to a hurricane...:eek:

Anyway, Belize is the one place where we would really have to think twice about booking independently. There is such a long tender trip from the ship to the port, and, most of the excursions involve long drives away from the port. It's a great place to easily miss the ship.

We have heard many good things about the local guides there.

So--just something to think about.

CeleBrat

I totally agree with this. I don't think Belize is a place I want to book independently.

I try to do as much on our own as possible (unless we are cruising in hurricane season, then we do cruise excursions all the way ;) )

After being there I would say that I agree with this.

We saw armed security guys everywhere. That wasn't as unnerving as the fact that every house has bars on the windows and doors, but there are guards at the entrance to the compound where the cruise passengers are. When you leave they shut the doors behind you. When you come back you have to show ID to get back in. This isn't just "right there by the ship" because we tendered out in the middle of nothing and the ride to land was about 30 minutes.

Good information! I've read great things about Major Tom and one other (can't remember off the top of my head). I'm glad to know it could still be a possibility for us.

I am sure you have seen on the Carnival Board about the cave tubing death.

But just in case - I want you to be totally informed before taking kids into the caves.

http://www.7newsbelize.com/sstory.php?nid=12244

I agree with the comment on not booking Belize on your own but would add the caveat if you are doing a long excursion. If you are doing something short then no big deal.

Belize has some good Mayan ruins also if you are interested in that type of thing. We've been to two there. Altun Ha is decent ruins. Also, Lamanai ruins is good and is located in the jungle. We had to take a boat down the river as part of the excursion to reach Lamanai.

We are were not too impressed with Costa Maya but I know some people do like it.

Roatan is beautiful and has many options of things to see. The water is great and clear as well.

David

BELIZE

I just wanted to add that while the Mayan ruins here are AMAZING -- I really wouldn't recommend this excursion with small children. It involves a long bus ride (and our bus was pretty sad) as well as a hand-cranked ferry ride across the river in the middle of the jungle -- in addition some serious hiking and climbing up the ruins -- kind of dangerous with little kids.

It is also hot and humid -- and buggy in an area with malaria and denugue fever risks... again, not so great with small kids.

I highly recommend it sans children though!! It's gorgeous and an amazing ruin. The food was also GREAT. ... and the sites are amazing. (just not with kids!) :D

BELIZE

I just wanted to add that while the Mayan ruins here are AMAZING -- I really wouldn't recommend this excursion with small children. It involves a long bus ride (and our bus was pretty sad) as well as a hand-cranked ferry ride across the river in the middle of the jungle -- in addition some serious hiking and climbing up the ruins -- kind of dangerous with little kids.

The ruins/jungle trek you mention above are to the Lamanai ruins, definitely a "hike" to get to. The Altun Ha ruins are easier to access, and involve walking down a slight stone path to get to them. Usually, the tour that is offered with them is the River/Ruins tour, where you take a flat motor boat up the local river to see the wildlife, then an air-conditioned bus to the ruins site. Very easily done with kids!

CeleBrat

The ruins/jungle trek you mention above are to the Lamanai ruins, definitely a "hike" to get to. The Altun Ha ruins are easier to access, and involve walking down a slight stone path to get to them. Usually, the tour that is offered with them is the River/Ruins tour, where you take a flat motor boat up the local river to see the wildlife, then an air-conditioned bus to the ruins site. Very easily done with kids!

CeleBrat

I stand corrected about the Altun Ha Ruins -- however, the ruins we went to were actually Xunantunich. Gorgeous -- but my original statement about THOSE ruins, remains. I will definately have to see the altun ha ruins next time we are in Belize. Thank you for the heads up!

Hello,

Costa Maya is one of my favorite ports. You need to go to the village next to the port called Majhual.It is a small fishing village and it is "rustic". The first time we were there, no electricity or running water. We have watched it grow over the last 10 years. They now have electricity and running water, but I don't think they had an ATM the last time we were there. The vendors offer you things, but a polite "No thanks" and they leave you alone. It is my Dad's favorite place. Check the Costa Maya board. We took our 2 small children 3 years ago and they really enjoyed playing with the little town kids.

Archived