Tubing in Belize

japit

I need to know if it is worth us booking our own cave tubing tour in Belize?

We are worried about getting back to the boat in time. In addition to that

the ships age req for the trip is 12, we have 3 children, 11,12 & 14 but would love to do this. Will they give us a problem on the ship, letting the 11 yr old go?

Do the tours you book privately have age restrictions?

do the right thing--book with reggie and you and your family will have a great time

Also consider booking it on your own or put the word out your looking for a group of your ouw instead of going thru the ship booking it for you

we put together a large private group and had a blast

bill

Hi!

The cruise lines are usually very strict with their age/fitness, etc requirements and will deny your 11 year old a place on this tour if their minimum age is 12.

Hi BILL!!

My family went with Bill and his family on Reggie's tour. My daughter went, who was at that time 7. I talked to Reggie (through e-mail) about her age and it wasn't a problem. He did tell me about the considerations of the cold water, the jungle hike (with tube) to the "put in" site, and the fact that, at that time, he did not have a life jacket to fit her, so we brought our own.

As to worrying about getting back in time, I felt very comfortable about this issue after some research. You can likely get some good, up-to date info on the "ports of call - Belize" board. The tour takes the same road to cave branch as the ship's excursion. There is a good time buffer after the tour for possible delays. There is even a stop after the tubing for lunch, so that could be cut out if, for some unforeseen reason, time was running short. There are multiple vehicles. Reggie's livelihood likely hinges on never missing a ship sailing, so there is good motivation to get you back in plenty of time!!!

I booked Reggie's tour last August and it was the highlight of our trip. Reggie and his employee, Tim, were great guys - very personable. I contacted Reggie several times by e-mail. He usually responded within a couple of days. He also e-mailed me telephone numbers:

011-501-225-2195 (call between 6 and 10 pm BZ time any day except tue & thurs)

011-501-610-1541 (all day weekends cell)

You can try these numbers if you can't reach him by e-mail. I would highly recommend Reggie's tour over the cruise line. We had no problems returning to the ship in time. In fact, we stopped to have lunch at one of Reggie's regular stops. Reggie usually takes a vote on who wants to stop for lunch. Majority rules. Don't pass this up. I was a little concerned about what we would have to eat, but the food was excellent. Chicken w/ beans and rice and beer. It was so good, in fact, I had Reggie email me the beans and rice recipe (turns out it's cooked in coconut millk)!!! The bill is totaled and divided evenly. If I remember correctly the total was $6 or $8 pp

I just got back from the 10/17 sailing on the Dream, and after reading good reviews for X-Stream Cave Tubing, I booked with them online, and had a Great time! Everything was handled via email, with no problems at all.

We were met by Richard on time, and after getting everyone together, he and Manuel took our group in two vans. Since we were a smaller group, they were able to make it personal with a lot of attention to each guest. We had no problems or worries about getting back on-time, as all the tours go to the same place (and they knew the drivers for the ships tours, so they monitor when they are leaving - and we passed them on the highway and beat one of the busses back!!!). Lunch was not included, but was available at the restuarant where the tubing starts/ends. We pre-ordered before we left, and lunch was ready and waiting for us when we got back.

There were two ships in Belize that day, and our group had folks from both ships. Absolutely had a blast!

I have decided to not use the Sea's excursion on the Cave Tubing trip. Can anyone give me the e-mail for Reggie or a website? The ad supplied by WasAnOkie For X-Stream Cave Tubing looks great, But I hear good things about Reggie's Tours also. If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

I don't really know anything about Reggie, but had looked at them before our trip. Try http://www.regtour.com/ for Reggie. Others on the same ship went with Wet-N-Wild http://www.ecotoursbelize.com/ and they also had a great time.

We only had experience with X-Stream, and would highly recommend them to anyone.

Whoever you end up going Cave Tubing with, have fun! it is definately an experience!!

• 2 weeks later...

Are there lockers available to store your things while you are going through the caves, river, etc.?? Is there a charge? Thinking about towels, clothes, bag, wallet, etc. Know you'll need your card to get back on the ship as well as cash for lunch. By the way, what about lunch through xstream?

• 2 weeks later...

You leave your stuff in the vehicle you rode in. In our case, it was a van. The van stayed locked and parked next to a restaurant where the employees kept an eye on it.

The water is kind of chilly, but I didn't find it to be unbearable. Warmer than the local spring-fed river we go tubing in here at home.

Archived