Great Stirrup Cay review

Denise&Paul STL

Just returned from Norwegian Sky cruise to Nassau and Great Stirrup Cay. Promised I would post info on the Cay, so here it is:

Ship was anchored rather than docked, so we tendered over which took awhile to fill up tender which was okay, cause the view was great! Off to the right was Coco Cay and an RCCL ship. Once on the island, we saw nothing but chairs lined up on the beach. If you walk down to the rock point/breakwall on the left, you will find some loung chairs. There are no umbrellas or cabanas available. If you walk past the chairs, you will find some picnic tables in the shade, hammocks, and more lounge chairs. Umbrellas were on the picnic tables, but were "stolen" for the beach chairs -- ours was gone when we returned from snorkeling even though our stuff was on the table. I found a nice shaded area and a lounge chair, ordered a bahama mama from the nice waiter who came to my chair, pulled out my book and enjoyed!

Walking up the path from the bar behind the chairs, I found to the right, the snorkel hut/first aid hut, then further, came to the volleyball area on the right and the bathrooms/foot wash on the left. Further down the path on the left are the straw market with tshirts at $5, and to the right, the food station. The barbeque was great, chicken, burgers, corn on the cob, bread, slaw, and other foods, pound cake, water, tea, coffee (yeah right in that heat!), and shaded picnic tables at which to eat. Further down that path past the food area is another swim area.

Back tracking on the path, there was a path to a lighthouse which I heard was a good trip and worth doing. Also a nice empty beach was there.

Floats were available for rent.

Snorkeling. Head straight out toward the ship to the area between the two big rocks where the lifegurd sat on the right rock. That is where the reef is. Not much to there. Great fish up there tho. Even a barracuda. If you swim then over to where the tenders go, near the roped off areas are some structures in the water with more fish. That's about it. Pictures are below. Will check back for questions.

on the ship! :D I was not lucky enough to find that luxury on the island. While I was there, people pulled chairs and loungers right up to my lounge chair on all sides. There are so few shady spots that everybody wanted a piece of my tree. The island is really more for the young sun worshipers than for children or the older set wishing to stay out of the sun and just enjoy the beach. Having said that, I did enjoy the visit and was worth going over for me.

Archived