Help with Freedom excursions

Rainmn

Hi, folks. Cruising with my wife, son, and his wife on Freedom. We are now planning excursions and would like your expertise. Ports are:

Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, Cozumel. What are your opinions on RC or private charters for dolphin swims (including which is better/Grand Cayman or Cozumel), Dunn's River Falls, Grand Cayman and Cozumel beach/party and snorkeling. Thanks in advance.

Unless you need their equipment for snorkling, I'd just do the beach thing on my own. There's really no need to book excursions to go to most beaches!

As far as ship vs. private excursions--it depends on how much work you want to do! If you book thru the ship, they do everything! No worries. If you book privately, you'll be responsible for making sure you're where you're supposed to be, and getting back to the ship on time.... although, the private guides have YOUR best interest in mind. (or, at least, they should!!!)

I would make certain that you read the information on the Ports of Call boards - especially if you are looking to book independently. There is lots of great information available. I was on the Freedom, Western Caribbean only 3 short weeks ago and having major cruise withdrawal. There are many tour operators in all of your ports.

In Ocho Rios - we have used Phil Lafayette twice with great success.

Grand Cayman - we just walked around this time. However, if this is your first trip, you might consider Stingray City. We have also done the jeep tour through RCCL.

Cozumel - we are great fans of Paradise Beach. It is easy to catch a cab and go. We haven't been to the dolphin swim but again, the Ports of Call board will give you all the information. Have a great trip!

Hi, folks. Cruising with my wife, son, and his wife on Freedom. We are now planning excursions and would like your expertise. Ports are:

Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, Cozumel. What are your opinions on RC or private charters for dolphin swims (including which is better/Grand Cayman or Cozumel), Dunn's River Falls, Grand Cayman and Cozumel beach/party and snorkeling. Thanks in advance.

By all means DO the dolphin swim in Cozumel. You will love it. It takes place at Chankanaab Park which is beautiful. You can hang there longer aftre the dolphins and snorkel or just get a great spot on the beach and have foo foo drinks. The restaurant on the baech there is great also. Google Chankanaab and look at the pics.

Also, dont miss Dunns river falls and swimming with the rays in Grand Cayman. It is a blast, and they bring you way out but the water is only waste deep. you can do this privately or with a ship tour. Have a blast!!!;)

My two cents...

I am very leery about doing my own excursions, always want the safety of knowing the cruise line is backing me up. But, I listened to all of my CC friends, and booked the Royal Dolphin Swim at Chakanaab Park in Cozumel. You can't do this one through RCI. Book it online through the park. It was maybe 145 pp? Something like that. Aside from our wedding and the birth of our DS, it was the single most amazing experience ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do it, do it, do it. The Royal Dolphin Swim. You get so much hands on time with the dolphins, including a kiss, a hug, a "push", and dorsal pull, and dancing and fun stuff. Did I mention it was amazing? Enjoy your cruise on FOS:D

Edited to say: didn't think to ask you the age of your DS. The Royal Dolphin Swim would not be suitable for a little one, you are in extremely deep water. When you are not participating, you are standing on a grate with a water level of about 4 feet, but once you're off the grate, its meters deep. Something to think about. My DH and friend's DH kept my DS7 entertained while we did our swim, and then we let DS play in the pool after we bought up all of our photos ;)

• 3 months later...

I'm taking this same cruise in 13 days!

I've had great success with Shore Trips.com. They will refund your money if your ship has to redirect and miss the port. I've also found that it is no coincidence that the description of the cruise line excursion is remarkably similar to the ShoreTrips version. The trip I booked in Antigua a few years back was almost entirely made up of folks from my ship...who booked through the ship...at a premium price! Many times, you'll find yourselves traveling on an excursion that is also offered by the ship, so they do have to wait for you to return.

Chakanaab Park in Cozumel is easy to reach by taxi from the port, so you could do this yourselves without involving the cruise ship. Compare prices. On a previous cruise, I discovered it was actually cheaper for me to book the ship's trip to Xcaret, rather than trying to do it myself. It likely depends on the deal the ship works out and how expensive the taxi ride (compared to a shuttle bus) is.

I agree that the sting rays are the highlight of Grand Cayman. On my first cruise to Cayman, that excursion was cancelled due to weather. We spent the day on 7-mile beach, which was a walkable distance. Grand Cayman is really very small. Even 7-mile beach is really shorter than 7-miles!!

I can't speak to your dolphin inquiry, because I've never done this. It's always over $100 and I just can't afford to consider excursions that pricey. I did SEE the dolphin encounter at Cozumel and it looked like a lot of fun.

ENJOY!!!

Archived