Great gelato and pizza in Florence?

My brother thinks that gelato is the only valid proof that there is a god. Others go to Italy for art, architecture, wine, culture, rigged football games and all the other normal reasons.. my brother goes for gelato. One should listen to him on this subject in not on any other.

He maintains that the best gelato in Florence is at Gelateria Badiani on Viale dei Mille which is not in the old central part of town. He thinks Vivoli is over-rated (this is the one most guidebooks suggest).

We never had bad gelato (or pizza). Look to see where the locals are eating at. After the first 100 dishes it all tasted great and we just looked for the cheapest place. There was one gelateria across from the duomo (not far from the Accemdemia that had snickers flavor - that was good. But they are all good. Again, for pizza get off the beaten path. Eat where the locals eat.

Many of the bars in touristy areas of Florence that sell by the slice or square are not that great; many are premade and reheated. Look for a place with a real wood-fired oven for true Italian pizza.

One place that is highly recommended is Il Ghibellini on Piazza San Pier Maggiore, which is about 5 minutes from Santa Croce.

Here are a couple of places that I have on my list for my upcoming trip. I found them on another website. Enjoy. :)

Gelateria Carrozze is a longtime local favorite (on riverfront 30 yards from Ponte Vecchio toward the Uffizi, Piazza del Pesce 3)-

Gelateria Carabè is particularly famous for its luscious granite — Italian ices made with fresh fruit. - from the Accademia, a block towards the Duomo, Via Ricasoli 60 red).

My brother thinks that gelato is the only valid proof that there is a god. Others go to Italy for art, architecture, wine, culture, rigged football games and all the other normal reasons.. my brother goes for gelato. One should listen to him on this subject in not on any other.

He maintains that the best gelato in Florence is at Gelateria Badiani on Viale dei Mille which is not in the old central part of town. He thinks Vivoli is over-rated (this is the one most guidebooks suggest).

I don't think Vivoli is overrated--I've eaten gelato there five times on three separate trips to Florence, and it's great. It is, however, more expensive than others in town, and there are other good ones (which I've also sampled). If you happen to be in the neighborhood, it's definitely worth a stop.

Les

We just came back from our cruise and had the best pizza in Florence at

"Nuti" Restaurant, I don't remember the street but it's the one going from San Lorenz market to the Duomo Square on your right side (pay attention because there is another Nuti on the left but we did not try it).

The best gelato we had, better according to us than Vivoli, was at Ponte la Caraia shop ( at the second bridge on the right of Ponte Vecchio, same side of Piti Palace)...:rolleyes:

Marylee52.

I wish I knew the name of the restaurant in Florence where we had the best lasagna I've ever had a couple of weeks ago.

It fronted the Santa Croce plaza...if you walked away from the church, it was about 3/4 of the way down on the left. A small place. First room entered had a bar on the right and a few tables at the back, turn the corner to the right and there was another small room with tables..some on the window looking out front.

It was so good. I'd go back to Florence just for it.

I cannot remember the name of the gelateria but it was on a corner near the Piazza della Repubblica probably on Via degli Speziali. It was a very classic looking establishment with lots of wood and brass fixtures. It was good enough to make 2 trips there during our stay in Florence.

• 1 month later...

Archived