Toddler bathtime on a cruise

kj55

Hi,

Strange question but what does everyone do about showering instead of bathing their toddlers while on the cruise. My son is 15 months and too big for a baby portable tub but afraid of the shower. We'll be on Freedom of the Seas. Does anyone know if the showerhead is fixed or a detachable kind?

Thanks for the advice!

Could you practice showering with him at home to get him used to it?

It is what we did with my son when he was younger before his first cruise. He had never had a shower before so we just introduced it at home. He was fine once onboard. Good luck!

I read that someone put a washcloth over the drain so baby can sit and you can soap them up and then use the hand held shower head to rinse them off. The shower head reaches pretty low. I plan on trying it next week on our cruise with our 2 1/2 year old and 6 month old.

On my first cruise my daughter was about 15 months old and we hadn't given her a shower before. I wished we had given her one at home first to get used to it. Now she's 4 and we have an almost 2 year old. We do both showers and baths at home so they're used to both. I have a bath as well next week so I have the option but like showers becaused they're much quicker.

I agree, try at home first. Our first trip when ds was 10mos adj/13 actual (he's a former preemie) I tried to give him a bath in a regular bath tub and he freaked out because he wasn't used to not being confined by the smaller tub we had at home. Bathtime at the hotel was a nightmare. We should have gone out and bought him a small plastic tub since we had a rental car, but I ended up just giving him sponge baths on that trip. He was still barely mobile then, so it wasn't like he was getting really dirty or anything anyway. After that trip, I bought one of those Munchkn inflatable duck tubs to travel with and he actually fit in that up to about age two, and even at that age, he was in the upper percentiles for height but it still worked for him. I would imagine most 15mos olds would fit in one (if the shower thing just isn't working out).

My 2 year old twins BOTH would sit in the blow-up duck tub that I got at Target. And it has a suction cup that lets it hang on the wall out of the way when not in use.

Best' date='

Mia[/quote']

Just a quick question -- did you eat in the dining room or did you do room service or the lido for dinner This is the first time for myself and grand-daughters (age 3 and 20 months).

Thanks, Mary Ann

Just a quick question -- did you eat in the dining room or did you do room service or the lido for dinner This is the first time for myself and grand-daughters (age 3 and 20 months).

Thanks, Mary Ann

Aren't you a nice grandmother!!! My daughter was 22 months when I went on the Mariner and we always went to the main dining room for dinner. She did fine. Our waiters were excellent with our daughter. She still remembers Mr. Greg and Ms. Lillian. By the second night they had a booster seat for her, and would always bring her a fruit salad with strawberries for her dessert-we were trying to avoid the high sugar stuff with her being so small. Lost cause now....:o On this cruise she will be turning 4 and my other daughter 1, so we will try to make the dining room for their birthdays, but may try other options. HAL may be a little more uptight than RCCL. We shall see.

Thanks, Mary Ann

Our first cruise (when the twins were 13 months), I thought that the buffet would be the best place for us to have all our meals (out of respect for diners in the dining room). On the first night at the buffet a head waiter asked why we weren't in the dining room and insisted that we go where we could be served. I immediately saw how much easier and more enjoyable it is for us to sit and be taken care of. The waiters are amazing and there are always quite a few kids at the early seating. Now we always eat every meal in the dining room - including breakfast and lunch. I know other parents like the buffet, but it was a nightmare for me juggling plates, going back and forth for food, etc. Also, in the dining room, the waiters know you're coming so everything is set up when you arrive (high chair or booster; I ask for the glasses and most flatware to be removed from the twins' place, etc.) In our four cruises, we've probably had to leave the dining room early once - and it's not that my girls are exceptionally well behaved (though they are really, really good) or that I'm such a great mom - it's that the waiters are SO wonderful about keeping us happy. With kids, they don't draw out the dinner the way they do with other (though I really used to enjoy the 2 hour dinner with adults, it wouldn't work with kids). Now having dinner together in the dining room every night is one of the highlights of cruising. We do sit at a table on our own (not with strangers). Also, I bring our own sippy cups to avoid having to worry about spills.

Have a great time! I have one more week before we're off on our next voyage...I can't wait!

Best,

Mia

Archived