Carribbean Princess - 7-7-08 - 7-14-08 my thoughts

Cruishappy@aol.com

We have recently returned from a cruise on the CarribbeanPrincess. I offer to you my following comments --

The Carribbean Princess is a lovely ship -- although it is rather old - in comparison to the newer ones --- she looks rather tired but is still a very nice ship --- it was always well kept by the crew --- our accommodations were very comfortable and offered plenty of storage --- I would reccommend that you do request a topper for your mattress and you will be very comfortable--- we had a mini suite - mid ship - very smooth sailing --- and very conveniently located - embarkation and dembarkation went extremely well --- room service was excellent --- but remember there is no room service on the day of dis-embarkation --- just hint --- the day before we would take a package of cereal - and a couple of milk containers to our room and were able to enjoy a bit of breakfast --- don't forget to take silverware and to put the milk on the refrigerator ---also a couple of bowls for your cereal ---- our stewardess was excellent --- the entertainment was quite nice and very enjoyable --- our biggest disappoint of this cruise was the food --- this was our 59th cruise and I am sorry to say that is was without a doubt the worse food I have ever had --- at first I thought that it was just me - because I do admit that I am a picky eater --- however when we would meet other passengers and ask they how they were enjoying the cruise --- the first comment was always === the ship is nice but the food is certainly not up to standards --- we went to the dining room twice then decided to give up on it --- I requested crackers and cheese --- Never got it =requested coffee - never got it --- the service was unbelievable slow - and the staff was not at all friendly -- however - we did opt to go the the alternative dining and that was positively SUPERB --- it was what cruising used to be --- Yes - I do miss the towels in the ladies room - and the fresh flowers --- not the paper towels --- this may seem picky to you -- but it coes make a difference -- it is obvious that corners have been cut ---sorry if you anyone takes offense on my comments - I would not say that this was a bad cruise - but somewhat of a disappointing cruiise

Such a difficult review to read, with all those dashes.

We were on the CB two weeks before you, and we have good friends who were on your sailing. The ship did not seem old to us. We thought the food was excellent, and the service in the dining room was wonderful.

It's funny how people can have such extremely different opinions of the same thing, but it's all subjective and variable, I suppose.

not sure if we were on the same cruise but we sailed the CB 7-10-08 ? We thought the food was excellent, the wait staff in anytime dining were both pleasant and efficient, and we were pleased with the ships decor and condition. We are booked for July 09

I think the OP meant 9/7/08 - 9/14/08.

We have recently returned from a cruise on the CarribbeanPrincess. I offer to you my following comments --

The Carribbean Princess is a lovely ship -- although it is rather old - in comparison to the newer ones --- she looks rather tired but is still a very nice ship --- it was always well kept by the crew --- our accommodations were very comfortable and offered plenty of storage --- I would reccommend that you do request a topper for your mattress and you will be very comfortable--- we had a mini suite - mid ship - very smooth sailing --- and very conveniently located - embarkation and dembarkation went extremely well --- room service was excellent --- but remember there is no room service on the day of dis-embarkation --- just hint --- the day before we would take a package of cereal - and a couple of milk containers to our room and were able to enjoy a bit of breakfast --- don't forget to take silverware and to put the milk on the refrigerator ---also a couple of bowls for your cereal ---- our stewardess was excellent --- the entertainment was quite nice and very enjoyable --- our biggest disappoint of this cruise was the food --- this was our 59th cruise and I am sorry to say that is was without a doubt the worse food I have ever had --- at first I thought that it was just me - because I do admit that I am a picky eater --- however when we would meet other passengers and ask they how they were enjoying the cruise --- the first comment was always === the ship is nice but the food is certainly not up to standards --- we went to the dining room twice then decided to give up on it --- I requested crackers and cheese --- Never got it =requested coffee - never got it --- the service was unbelievable slow - and the staff was not at all friendly -- however - we did opt to go the the alternative dining and that was positively SUPERB --- it was what cruising used to be --- Yes - I do miss the towels in the ladies room - and the fresh flowers --- not the paper towels --- this may seem picky to you -- but it coes make a difference -- it is obvious that corners have been cut ---sorry if you anyone takes offense on my comments - I would not say that this was a bad cruise - but somewhat of a disappointing cruiise

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I have one question if you see this please? I can't remember ever seeing real towels in the ladies room on Princess, and we have been sailing with them since the early 90's. I can understand the paper towels because of the germs/virus that need to be limited onboard, but just never remember seeing 'towels' in the public restrooms before. Are you talking pre 90's? Or are you confusing Princess with a different cruise line maybe? Just curious.

I am quite sure that it was the Princess that had towels on it --- I could be incorrect - one of our first cruises on the Princess was back in the 90's - you are quite right when you mention that it could have been another cruise line - we have cruised 59 times and perhaps I might have mistaken it for another cruise line --- although I do maintain that cruising is not what it used to be ---- it is still enjoyable and we plan on continuing to cruise -

I am quite sure that it was the Princess that had towels on it --- I could be incorrect - one of our first cruises on the Princess was back in the 90's - you are quite right when you mention that it could have been another cruise line - we have cruised 59 times and perhaps I might have mistaken it for another cruise line --- although I do maintain that cruising is not what it used to be ---- it is still enjoyable and we plan on continuing to cruise -

Thanks for the reply. We have cruised with Princess since 1993 and I honestly don't ever remember seeing actual towels in the ladies room ever on Princess. My guess is that this could have been on HAL or Cunard maybe? Just a guess.

I agree totally that cruising has changed a LOT over the years. There are a few things we enjoy more now, but still miss the little things that were included 15-20 years ago.

But in defense of the cruise line, pricing has not increased like everything else has, so I know they have to make cuts somewhere. We paid more for a regular stateroom back in 1993 from Hawaii to Tahiti (12 Days) then we do now, a lot more. Of coarse the airfare, which has nothing really to do with Princess, has increased dramatically, but the cruise itself is less.

A sign of the times it seems.

Again, thanks for the honest clarification! ;)

Thank you for the review. We are sort of new to cruising having taken our 1st in 2002. I think those who have been cruising for a much longer time can remember when cruising was different, say more elegant and more attentive to passengers so by comparison things today aren't the same and probably never will be again unless you take a luxury level cruise with say Regent, Crystal or the like. Times change. I do agree about having paper towels for sanitary reasons. This is a must. Handwashing is the first line and most effective line of germ spread prevention and it does no good to wash, then dry in a towel used over and over again in a public bathroom. I wonder if this is regualted by the CDC. I'll bet it is.

Celebrity & Holland America have towels in the ladies rooms. They're not "the same towel used over & over again", they're little individual cotton towels. You take a fresh clean towel, dry your hands, and toss the towel into a small bin.

We were on the CB about a year ago & found the food & service to be quite the opposite. Of course a year is a long time in the cruise industry & things could have changed considerably. We also never saw the ware & tare you describe or perhaps we just don't notice it as you do. Aside from being a very big ship I'd book another cruise aboard in a moments notice. How many Princes cruises have you been on for comparison?

We were on the same cruise as the OP and enjoyed our cruise very much. While we find that cruising has definitely changed over the years in many ways, it is still our favorite way to travel. My DD and I found the dining room to be hit-and-miss but mostly hits and never went hungry for sure. I didn't find the CB to be old or tired at all and most everyone we met or encountered onboard were both friendly and helpful. The ports were fantastic as well and if I haven't mentioned this enough on other postings... please don't miss the blueberry pie, fudge, or beer in Bar Harbor!!

We were on the same cruise as the OP and enjoyed our cruise very much. While we find that cruising has definitely changed over the years in many ways, it is still our favorite way to travel. My DD and I found the dining room to be hit-and-miss but mostly hits and never went hungry for sure. I didn't find the CB to be old or tired at all and most everyone we met or encountered onboard were both friendly and helpful. The ports were fantastic as well and if I haven't mentioned this enough on other postings... please don't miss the blueberry pie, fudge, or beer in Bar Harbor!!

Did they still have the two piece band for entertainment at the Horizon court in the evenings?

Archived