4x4 Tropical Safari - PV

NMCruzzin

I"m assuming you are talking about the tour with the tall Jeepish looking trucks. They often let people out along the marina after all is finished, and i have yet to see a dissapointed look on ones face. I haven't done it, but i hope the smiling faces gives you some insight.

Tgreene- Yes, that's the one! I've waited a few extra days to see if anyone else would respond - but I sure appreciate you posting about the smiling faces!:D:D We were just thinking of taking an adventure in this port since it's a long day - this just looked like a fun day and getting to see a lot! Thanks!

Tgreene- Yes, that's the one! I've waited a few extra days to see if anyone else would respond - but I sure appreciate you posting about the smiling faces!:D:D We were just thinking of taking an adventure in this port since it's a long day - this just looked like a fun day and getting to see a lot! Thanks!

Great! Yes, I have heard great things. I just never have never really done it since I'm a huge control freak. ATV, Dune buggies and beach excursions were always on my list. IN the next couple trips back to PV that will be added. I hope you enjoy your time on it.

Jean, Let us know how you enjoyed it on this thread. Might be something we will do in Jan. Are you booking thru the cruiseline or independently?

Elcruzer,

I'm thinking of doing this through the ship - only because it's a 6.5 hr trip, and we get pretty far from the dock! :o I've booked most everything else on this trip and others on our own and don't worry to much about it - but since it's a long day there for us, we thought we could do this and get back to the ship and still have time for around PV to even do some shopping and just checking things out. We are wanting to get out and about and thought this looked like it'd cover a lot - and still have transportation back to the marina! LOL:) I will come back and post a review - but it'll be mid-November!

Elcruzer,

I'm thinking of doing this through the ship - only because it's a 6.5 hr trip, and we get pretty far from the dock! :o I've booked most everything else on this trip and others on our own and don't worry to much about it - but since it's a long day there for us, we thought we could do this and get back to the ship and still have time for around PV to even do some shopping and just checking things out. We are wanting to get out and about and thought this looked like it'd cover a lot - and still have transportation back to the marina! LOL:) I will come back and post a review - but it'll be mid-November!

We're going the first part of November (34 days, woo hoo!) and booked this tour thru Carnival for the exact reasons. I called vallarta adventures and found you can book direct and save about $20 (YMMV), but you have to get yourself to their office. Thru the ship, transportation to their office is provided, PLUS the reasaons you described. And, if you mention you are on a cruise, suddenly they are fully booked and you HAVE to go through the ship. Last year we walked off the boat and paid $25pp for a 3 hour city/jungle tour, it was fine. Every "kodak view" had a conveniant trinket stand right there, and the van driver always got some pesos from the trinket stand dude. Wonder what that was all about?;)

Elcruzer,

I did this a few years ago through the ship and LOVED IT!! Wear shoes you can hike in, tennis shoes will do. The hike is not hard, a little climbing, but I am 50 and plan to do it again this November, so not bad.

We went to a village way into the Sierra Madre's where we had a chance to grind corn for tortillas and try local grown foods. Plan on having tip money for the host family here, this is how they make a living.

The beach stop for lunch is very private and nice, and the food and drinks unlimited...:D We did Tequilla shots all the way back to the ship, best I have ever tasted! Very fun educational trip!!! You will come away with so much info about the culture and traditions.

Ok...Now I'm really looking forward to this trip! :D Diane, I'm so glad you posted about your adventure! This will be fun! It talks about swimming somewhere....do you remember if it was in a cove? Or tell me more about it. OH!...and We're booked! I did it last night! YAY!

PulledPorky - We are there on Wed Nov 5, on the Pride - which day do you get in? I hope you have a great adventure too!:D

My daughter and I going over Thanksgiving week. The beach was not a cove, but a lovely long beach with only half a dozen people on it as far as we could see. The water was a little cold, but that is typical of the Pacific, which is never as warm as water in the Carribean.

I wore my bathing suit under shorts and tank top. There are restrooms at the beach where lunch is, so you could change there.

It is an hour or so ride each way to the Sierra Madre area. We stopped in a few little towns along the way where restrooms were available if needed. We learned about the roll of the church, town square area and rolls of various festivals from Day of the Dead , to Quinceiera ( spelled wrong, but a girls coming of age party) with in the communities and families.

• 1 month later...

I did a reply last week, but the boards were acting up and I lost the whole thing!:mad: This is the first chance I've had to re-write everything! So, here goes.

After we got off the ship and checked in with our group, we walked around the back of the ship to a dock to take a short ride through the Marina to the office.

They had water, snacks & bathrooms for everyone before heading out.

The 4X4's are bright yellow and hold about 10 people. Our guide was Cesar, and he was a hoot! Our first stop was in San Jose, to learn about a small town, traditions, short time to shop take pictures and back on the road. Cesar was very good about the history, families, and traditions of Mexico and so we asked a lot of questions. We pull off the highway and 4 wheel it up through the mountains. Out of the jeep - use bug spray! - and start our hike. He did an excellent job with the hike showing us the cool things in a jungle - and even a couple of science experiments! Back in the jeeps - down 1/2 of the hill, we pull into the driveway of a family that lives there and they had homemade tacos - they were delish!! Back on the road and now we are headed to the Beach area for lunch. Good lunch! Beautiful beach! Restrooms and changing areas. Back in the jeep and headed to town. This is a FULL day adventure. It's hot, and much to see and enjoy. For us, maybe a 1/2 hr less in the jungle and more time at the beach would have been great... but oh well...

We got back to the ship for quick showers, grabbed a taxi to the Laughing Lobster for dinner, back to the ship and enjoyed the evening of watching the ships pull out of port. Whew, that was a long day!! I hope to have my pictures loaded up in the next few days, I'll try and post some as soon as I can!

I did a reply last week, but the boards were acting up and I lost the whole thing!:mad: This is the first chance I've had to re-write everything! So, here goes.

After we got off the ship and checked in with our group, we walked around the back of the ship to a dock to take a short ride through the Marina to the office.

They had water, snacks & bathrooms for everyone before heading out.

The 4X4's are bright yellow and hold about 10 people. Our guide was Cesar, and he was a hoot! Our first stop was in San Jose, to learn about a small town, traditions, short time to shop take pictures and back on the road. Cesar was very good about the history, families, and traditions of Mexico and so we asked a lot of questions. We pull off the highway and 4 wheel it up through the mountains. Out of the jeep - use bug spray! - and start our hike. He did an excellent job with the hike showing us the cool things in a jungle - and even a couple of science experiments! Back in the jeeps - down 1/2 of the hill, we pull into the driveway of a family that lives there and they had homemade tacos - they were delish!! Back on the road and now we are headed to the Beach area for lunch. Good lunch! Beautiful beach! Restrooms and changing areas. Back in the jeep and headed to town. This is a FULL day adventure. It's hot, and much to see and enjoy. For us, maybe a 1/2 hr less in the jungle and more time at the beach would have been great... but oh well...

We got back to the ship for quick showers, grabbed a taxi to the Laughing Lobster for dinner, back to the ship and enjoyed the evening of watching the ships pull out of port. Whew, that was a long day!! I hope to have my pictures loaded up in the next few days, I'll try and post some as soon as I can!

Marilyn & I just finished our annual land vacation in Vallarta. We booked this same tour last Wednesday (3 ships in port, including Pride). All of us met at the Vallarta Adventures Marina office at the same time and all of us started the excursion at the same time. After that, the excursions are basically the same but different. There was roughly 24 people booked independently and we filled two trucks; ship's passengers filled five or six trucks.

Both groups had the same basic travel and activities but the non-ship's tour lasted longer. Our two trucks were arriving at the beach/lunch location as the trucks with ship's passengers were leaving. We got back to the Vallarta Adventures office between 6:45 and 7 PM.

I wanted to piggy-back on NMCruzzin's report to let you folks know, for planning purposes, that booking this excursion independently will have you return to Vallarta later than the version booked thru the ship.

In NMCruzzin's case, it wouldn't have mattered much because Pride doesn't sail until 10 PM local. However, their ability to clean up and enjoy a dinner downtown afterwards may have been a little rushed if they had been with our group.

Cool insects that Cesar talks about:

ry%3D480

Lunch:

ry%3D400

The Beach:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Headed back to the ship:ry%3D400

Hope this gives you some idea of what this adventure is about. And if you like the jungle - the beach - The you'll have a great time!

We booked this through Carnival. With it being a long trip out - we just wanted to make sure we had enough time. I thought that for alll we did - the price was good!

Cesar reminded us a lot of Capt. Jack Sparrow! Just no braids! LOL!

The hike was a very gradual climb - a couple of steps up - but pretty easy. Just don't wear sandals and you'd be fine!

Archived