Jewel Arrival During Storm 9/27

Dani'sMom

In our "Captains Corner" talk yesterday on the Jewel, someone asked what would happen to next weeks sailing. Captain McDonald stated they may have to alter days but they should make the ports, but just in a different order.

We too just got off the Jewel and had a FABULOUS week with the weather. Every day was wonderful but as stated earlier, the seas were rough yesterday. The ship rolled from side to side. They did use the stabilizers but I think the seas were too rough to notice any difference they made, if any. A few people lost some food from their plates while they were walking in the Windjammer and you could tell everyone was having a pretty hard time walking straight. It was definitely the worst seas I had encountered on all my past cruises, but then again I have only been on 8 cruises.

I did not notice anyone getting "sea sick" but there plenty of people talking about feeling queasy at times but I think everyone handled it pretty well.

I am glad we went this week and my heart goes out to those on this weeks sailing. I hope the seas and the weather are kind to them.

Hello. Glad you enjoyed your cruise as much as we did :)

That sea was something yesterday, wasn't it? Yesterday afternoon, DH and I were in the Solarium pool, and it was churning so much that it reminded us of one of those wave pools at a water park! And that was BEFORE things got really rough last night. :eek:

Let's hope everyone on the 9/27 sailing will get past the rough waters soon to have the wonderful cruise we just experienced. :)

In our "Captains Corner" talk yesterday on the Jewel, someone asked what would happen to next weeks sailing. Captain McDonald stated they may have to alter days but they should make the ports, but just in a different order.

We too just got off the Jewel and had a FABULOUS week with the weather.

I am glad we went this week and my heart goes out to those on this weeks sailing. I hope the seas and the weather are kind to them.

Thanks for that information. Let me just say that if anyone can steer a course that minimizes the disruption that Kyle can cause, it is Captain James. We sailed with him in 60 foot swells as he made his way across the Atlantic in 2002 avoiding the worst of Hurricane Gustave, and I was very impressed with his candor and his ability to handle the worst sea conditions.:)

The latest weather report I have heard had Kyle moving northward at 21 mph which will may make it difficult to outrun, but if anyone can do it, Captain James can.

Glad to hear that those who just got off the Jewel had a wonderful cruise. Sorry to have all of us who got off her last week still wondering where she is going and how the weather will affect her itinerary.

My thoughts are with those who are sailing this week, wishing you nothing but smooth seas. BTW, I may have been on alot of cruises but I still get sea sick.

Lisa

Waykaylincruz & VASOXFANN - Glad you had a great cruise despite the last night. Sorry about the rain wreaking havoc in the Sox game plans. Can either of you tell me what night you recommend going to one of the specialty restaurants? What nights are the formal nights or anything special in the main dining room? I'm trying to help my parents with last-minute cruise planning.

Any other suggestions from this cruise are welcomed. Thanks in advance!

Jen

The formal nights were on the 2nd and 6th nights. We booked Chops on the evening we were in Bar Harbor. We did this because it was easy to get an early sitting time since the ship was in port until 7:00pm that day and everyone seemed to enjoy the town until the last minute. However, we did miss Italian Night in the dining room that night but it was worth it. Chops is really good and worth the extra $25 per person.

Oh, the lobster and shrimp was served on the 2nd formal night (Thursday).

I hope this helps!!

Renee

We are going on the Jewel this coming Saturday, and we were thinking of doing the express walkoff when we return. I'm trying to book a ride home, so I was wondering what time were you able to get off the ship doing express walkoff.

Glad you had a good time.

We are going on the Jewel this coming Saturday, and we were thinking of doing the express walkoff when we return. I'm trying to book a ride home, so I was wondering what time were you able to get off the ship doing express walkoff.

We were the first group off the ship after the walk-offs and were off the ship before 9am. Debarkation was somewhat delayed while they paged some of the non-US citizens to report to Customs and Immigration several times beginning around 7:15. All in all it was a very easy debarkation.:)

Waykaylincruz & VASOXFANN - Glad you had a great cruise despite the last night. Sorry about the rain wreaking havoc in the Sox game plans. Can either of you tell me what night you recommend going to one of the specialty restaurants? What nights are the formal nights or anything special in the main dining room? I'm trying to help my parents with last-minute cruise planning.

Any other suggestions from this cruise are welcomed. Thanks in advance!

Jen

Hi Jen:

We didn't go to any of the specialty restaurants, as we usually find the dining room food so yummy we don't need it. If I had to choose, I'd probably pick Wednesday night (Italian food in the dining room) and that's only because the turkey entree I ordered wasn't quite what I expected, so it was my least favorite of the week. I know some people pick the formal nights to avoid brining formal attire, but we enjoyed both of them.

Good luck with your choice, and happy sailing!

Here's what I posted on our Roll Call board. I just got home, so I still need to write our full-blown review:

DH and I are at the Boston Airport waiting for our flight home. We stayed in town to catch the last 2 Red Sox games. Saturday was rained out, so they played a very damp double-header yesterday, the First game of which was also delayed because of rain :( Oh well, we're glad we were able to see them play!

We really enjoyed the criuse, especially Bar Harbor and Halifax. Neither of us were overly impressed with Saint John, and we would have much rather have skipped that port and spent another day in Halifax because there just wasn't enough time to see and do everything we wanted.

The ship is beautiful. We had an oceanview cabin on deck 3, starboard, and we were very pleased with the cabin size. The bed was large and among the most comfortable I've ever slept in. Our stateroom attendant, Sori, was wonderful, and little extras (towel animals, etc) to make our trip special :)

We did My Time Dining, which we loved. We had different waiters, which was Fine, as they all provided great Service. The food was excellent, for the most part. On the First night, DH had a very bland steak. I attribute this to his getting a senior pax's bland diet meal, as I had the steak later in the week and it was very tasty. A couple of times I ordered things that weren't quite what I expected, and the waiters quickly replaced it with something else. I especially enjoyed the chilled fruit soups, and we both loved the fish entrées and chocolate desserts (of course).

We did the express walk off, and we were near the front, so it looks like we avoided the debarkation melee. We did, however, have quite an adventure trying to get to our hotel with a clearly non-English speaking or understanding cab driver! We ended up having him drop us off at the Airport, then we took a shuttle to the hotel.

All in all, we had a wonderful time, and we can't wait to cruise again. We enjoyed meetibg everyone at the M&M, and we hope you all enjoyed the cruise as much as we did.

Happy sails!

We were in the express walk off group. They called us right around 7:45, and we were off shortly thereafter. They had to make an announcement because some folks who clearly weren't supposed to be in the Express Walkoff group (the requirements are that you be able-bodied and able to carry your own luggage, and these were very elderly people in wheelchair and hover-rounds with no luggage) were in line and clogging the works. Once they made the announcement, things moved much quicker. We were off the ship in less than 10 minutes.

Hi Jessica,

We are looking at this cruise for next year. Can you tell me with express debarkation what time you were able to get to the airport?

Thanks.

Hi.

We were off the ship by 8:00, and we got a cab right away. I don't know if you can gauge time to the airport by us because we were supposed to go to our hotel, but we had some language issues with our cab driver (ie he didn't speak much English and understood even less) so we had him take us to the airport. I accomplished this by spreading my arms out like airplane wings and making an airplane engine noise. I'd say that took 20-25 minutes, but he only charged us $20.

I highly recommend the cruise. You'll have a great time!

Thanks for the info! Sounds like you both agreed on Italian night as the night to try the specialty.

It was definitely the Italian themed night. I thought it was Wednesday, but it might have been Monday. All I remember is I ordered a turkey dish that had a weird breaded coating and an unappetizing clump of parmesan cheese on top. Not great. DH had the salmon and really enjoyed it. If I remember correctly, there was a really great dessert that night (warm chocolate cake?)

One thing about that night, the waitstaff does a parade through the dining room. If that's a huge deal for you, you might want to choose another night.

Thanks! Turns out my parents decided just to go with the dining room every night. Personally, I really enjoyed Chops and would opt for that one night.

We both enjoyed eating the dining room. Even when I got something funky (the turkey dish and some very strange-tasting pumpkin soup were the only things served to me that I didn't eat :rolleyes: ) the waiters quickly replaced it with something delicious. :D I even got "surf and turf" on Lobster night (a steak entree and lobster tail!!!) There are many yummy things each night in the dining room!

If you like fish, you can't go wrong with those entrees; they were fresh and delicious!

Now I'm back and I have to lose the 5 lbs I gained on the cruise! :(

Archived