Porters?

Does RCI have porters that pretty much grab your luggage when you get out of the cab and then want a tip? I've only cruised on Carnival once before and this guy grabbed out luggage and then wanted money...which is fine, but I had read that using the porters was your choice...but it didn't really seem like we had another choice? what are you options with luggage when you get out of the cab at miami port when cruising with RCI?

Never sailed out off Miami, so I can´t tell you specific about this port.

On any of my cruises so far it worked that way that their have been porters at the pier when you got of the Taxi/Bus/Car or whatever transportation you choose.

Your only choice was to hand your luggage to the porters to bring it on board unless you want to carry you luggage by yourself. It´s only these two options porters or carry it by yourself (of course if you choose the porters you should tip them).

Iy you want to bring your luggage on board by yourself you have to keep in mind that it has to be screened and the X-Ray machines are the size of the ones at the airport for carry-ons. So your big suitcases won´t fit through- so they have to be checked.

BTW this was the same at every port and with any cruiseline I crusied with so far.

Larger suitcases must be "checked" meaning the porters take them, then they are security screened, then delivered to your cabin, same as Carnival. The porters do not work for RCCL, but are longshoremen working at the pier. It is customary to tip them a dollar or two per bag. You can only carry-on luggage that will fit thru an airport sized xray machine.

In Miami, there will be guys with white plastic helmets on that are the porter's. While it is customary to tip for their service, there is no law requiring it, or the use of them. That said, our experience is that they will pretty much tell you that you need to use them to "assure" your luggage gets on board. They will be right there as you get out of your ground transportation (whatever mode that may be).

Bottom line, its pretty much a racket, and is the same at every port we've been out of.

Good luck. Just figure in a couple of bucks, and don't let the fact that you know its a racket bum you out for what will be an otherwise wonderful vacation.

Jay

Last Christmas at Miami we had a group of 9 and as I was paying the van driver I noticed the porter had all the luggage loaded up but was making no movement towards the luggage bins. i walked over and gave him a few dollars and he was on his way.

One time we actually put our luggage on the bins but tipped the porter anyway just to make sure they didn't get "lost" as soon as we walked off' Tip anyway. :)

i do physical labor all day long (garden center). why is it that my employer can pay me and I don't expect tips, yet when I go on vacation, cruising seems to be among the worst, everyone has their hand in my pocket?? why is it that their employers can get away withi paying them less, because we all make up the difference? just wondering

That's one of those questions I probably don't want the answer to. :D Along with: Why don't I have a window in my cubicle? Why do I have to take a pay cut to save my company, while other folks I know have gotten pay increases this year? Why is it so much work to keep my weight off, while other folks can eat sundaes and french fries and still be thin? :D

The porters in Miami are not shy to tell you that you "need to take care of them" to make sure your bags make it to the right spot:eek: . A threat, a bribe, period. That being said, tip them well, and forget your worries. Expect it, plan for it, and think of it as part of your "trip insurance" costs, not as tip for outstanding services rendered. Just MHO.

I sailed from Miami last November. We arrived by cab and the cab driver unloaded our luggage. A porter came over and asked if we needed him. He did not grab our luggage. He loaded our luggage onto his cart and told us to follow him. When we got to where our luggage was going to be put through the security, before it is allowed on the ship, he pointed out where we should go to embark the ship. He was very polite, he did not demand a tip, and he did not run off with our luggage. Yes, we tipped him well.

We live in Nevada and we are accustomed to tipping for services. I do not mind doing this either. I also find a "please" and a "thank you" go a long way with the service you get even before you tip.

Archived