Will we ever see an all-new ship design?

CarnivalPride

Interestingly, looking at RCCL's Radiance Class ships (which are RCCL's closest equivalents to Carnival's Spirit Class), they do not have split decks.

I wonder, could Panamax form factor have anything to do with this? Both the Spirit Class and Radiance Class are Panamax ships.

I doubt Panamax requirements are any factor at all in the deck designs. They just stacked the 2 floors of the dining room on top of the galley. That pleases you in traversing the ship but I'll bet it causes a host of dining service problems for the crew. It Carnival found it to be wonderful they could just push out the sides beyond Panamax and build mega ships that way. But for whatever reasons they want the galley with a dining room on each end. I think the service advantages are obvious. As for you getting around on the ship, you're on vacation, you'll find a way to get there. Wherever there is.

Dan

I actually find Conquest / Destiny class ships very easy to navigate. Just go to the Panaroma or Lido deck and you can go the whole length of the ship. I've been on the Destiny (twice), Glory (twice) and Valor and love them. I have never been on a Spirit class ship but looking at the plans the disco location seems to be a flaw.

I doubt Panamax requirements are any factor at all in the deck designs. They just stacked the 2 floors of the dining room on top of the galley. That pleases you in traversing the ship but I'll bet it causes a host of dining service problems for the crew. It Carnival found it to be wonderful they could just push out the sides beyond Panamax and build mega ships that way. But for whatever reasons they want the galley with a dining room on each end. I think the service advantages are obvious. As for you getting around on the ship, you're on vacation, you'll find a way to get there. Wherever there is.

Dan

I beg to differ. The crew onboard the Pride all agreed that the Spirit Class layout is their favorite layout. Rembmer, the crews are not always assigned to one ship, they are shifted around between ships. In fact, on the Mexican Riviera cruise I went on, it was the last cruise on the Pride of the current crew of the time.

Silly me for asking a yes/no question... :p

It would be wonderful if you would share the link... :)

It's at home. I put a copy online way back when we all mistakenly thought it might be the Carnival Dream. But I forget the url.

If it wasn't removed from Google Sites (due to inactivity), you might find the link in the huge Dream thread... if the post itself wasn't removed by one of the hosts here.

I look forward for sailing on the Dream Class, but I must admit that I am a little disappointed that it looks so similar to the Conquest class. Obviously I like the Conquest Class because I've sailed on it (as well as the Destiny Class so many times), but I was excited by the thought that Carnival would do something completely different... and am honestly a little disappointed.

I will, of course, reserve final judgment on the Dream Class for when I sail on her! Maybe once we actually all set foot on the Dream Class, we'll feel it's very different than the Conquest Class. Only time will tell.

I feel the same disappointment in our upcoming Splendor cruise. I never hesitate to say that I do not like the Conquest class. The only saving grace for the Splendor might be that they have eliminated the stadium seating on the Lido deck. The closer our cruise date gets the more apprehesive I am about our choice. This doesn't mean I'll have a terrible vacation, but I'm glad we don't have two sea days in a row, this way I won't feel like I'm "stuck" somewhere I no longer want to be.

I feel the same disappointment in our upcoming Splendor cruise. I never hesitate to say that I do not like the Conquest class. The only saving grace for the Splendor might be that they have eliminated the stadium seating on the Lido deck. The closer our cruise date gets the more apprehesive I am about our choice. This doesn't mean I'll have a terrible vacation, but I'm glad we don't have two sea days in a row, this way I won't feel like I'm "stuck" somewhere I no longer want to be.

Wow. Sorry to hear that you feel that way. I'll gladly trade you places come December. ;) :D

Hello all:

I have been on the Holiday, the Paradise, the Elation, and the Pride.

Also many other ships on other lines. There is no perfect ship :eek:.

I do not know if one huge dining room subject to prop vibration is really the best design. And I really liked the Pride. For a really messed up flow/ design one must go on Queen Elizabeth 2. But the food and service were amazing.

I do not understand the frustration of having to walk around the galley. This is actually a hold over from the old days when ships had multiple classes, thus multiple dinning rooms. Just figure out the best route from your cabin or favorite bar to the dining room. ;) Also follow my 5- 10 minute rule. Always arrive 5-10 minutes late to aviod the rush.

(But not latter as to cause the rest of your table delay).

I would rather enjoy Carnival's prices, with good food and larger rooms than go for the wizz bang new designs... The money I spent on Queen Mary 2 curred me of this need. :cool: Not that I did not enjoy...

Tom in Long Beach

Well, considering the fact that the lines for the dining halls on the Conquest and Destiny Classes are always long and crowded, the lines always move much faster on the Spirit Class ships. That is because to get from one side of the dining hall to the other, you have to traverse floors.

what a crock.

I beg to differ. The crew onboard the Pride all agreed that the Spirit Class layout is their favorite layout. Rembmer, the crews are not always assigned to one ship, they are shifted around between ships. In fact, on the Mexican Riviera cruise I went on, it was the last cruise on the Pride of the current crew of the time.

There were a number of crew members on Pride that were sad because they were not selected to sail on Splendor.

i have saild holiday class fantasy class and spirit class and like them all .what i like best about them is the pool on the aft deck. I can lay on my lounge chair and watch the ocean sipping on a drink of the day with nothing blockin my view .I will be sailing on the liberty this feb (conquest class) Looking at the deck plans i dont think that will happen and i dont think i will like the staduin seating at the main pool .but i will try to keep an open mind to it .I wish they would make the pools bigger . I will have a great time no matter what a bad day on a ship is still better then a good day on land

There were a number of crew members on Pride that were sad because they were not selected to sail on Splendor.

Of course, they just wanted to give the new ship a try. However, every crewmember I spoke to preferred the Spirit Class ships over the Destiny/Conquest Class.

I was referring to what management decides, not what the crew says. I think they have escalators from the galley on the Spirit class. The crew may love them, management may not. I don't know or care either way. I've done the Pride twice, enjoyed it a lot, that had nothing to do with full length decks.

IMHO, you've built yourself a tempest in a teapot.

Dan

[quote name='nolaAlive']what a crock.[/quote]

Tell us what you really think nola!:D

Isn't this all kinda academic anyway? Most cruise lines have a base design that they continually improve on. The deck layout of the newer Carnival ships (except Spirit class) can trace their DNA all the way back to Holiday.

The only really big changes are the switch to the "sandwich" layout (having public decks between the cabin decks), and the addition of the cental Atrium lobby areas.

So I guess the complaint should really be that Carnival needs something other than all these "Holiday derivatives".

I have to agree with the OP as far as the Dream lloking like an expanded version of the Conquest class which was an expanded version of the Triumph class which was an expanded version of the Destiny class.

Not that im disagreeing with the concept of "if it aint broke don't fix it". But it would just be nice to see something different from Carnival.

I mean, they have even carried over there basic class designs to Costa and HAL. it really is a bit repetitive.

Flame away...

[quote name='CarnivalPride'][FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=red][B]I beg to differ. The crew onboard the Pride all agreed that the Spirit Class layout is their favorite layout. Rembmer, the crews are not always assigned to one ship, they are shifted around between ships. [FONT="Arial Black"][COLOR="Blue"]In fact, on the Mexican Riviera cruise I went on, it was the last cruise on the Pride of the current crew of the time.[/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/quote]The whole crew does not leave the ship at the same time. Staff is replaced in rotation according to contract time. I watch it happen all the time here in Tampa. Every week 40 or 50 crew members leave and 40 or 50 new ones board.....What ever gave you the idea that the whole crew leaves the ship at one time ?:confused:

Hello Everybody,
I just want to say I have been on the Holiday and on one NCL ship and enjoyed both of them. I was on a cruise. I am going on the Miracle in December and can't wait. I have heard a lot of great comments on this ship. I am sure I will enjoy it, again I will be on a cruise.
All I have to say is if Carnival did come out with a whole new "fantastic" new design with all the bells and whistles, they would still have somebody complaining about something they didn't like about it. If you are going on a cruise, set back, have a DOD and enjoy the ride. It is the people that are constantly complaining about something on the ship that starts other people complaining about something that otherwise they would never had noticed.

The number of posts on this board has nothing to do with the number of cruises that a person has taken. Some of us here do not find it necessary to list or "show off" ( for some ), every cruise that we have taken.
I don't think that he is trying to incite an argument. I actually enjoyed reading this thread.
In my opinion, I would like for the pools to be a little bigger and the Waterworks area to be implemented in all ships.

[quote name='BigDfromTN']HMMMMMMM.
Interesting thread here!:rolleyes:
Especially since the seemingly resident expert has a claim to fame of a single cruise! Has only 39 posts. And has an avatar of "Family Feud".:confused:

Makes me wonder if he is just here to cite other board members into a heated discussion????:confused:

Can someone pass me a tub of popcorn?[/quote]

[quote name='murcielago']The number of posts on this board has nothing to do with the number of cruises that a person has taken. Some of us here do not find it necessary to list or "show off" ( for some ), every cruise that we have taken.
I don't think that he is trying to incite an argument. I actually enjoyed reading this thread.
In my opinion, I would like for the pools to be a little bigger and the Waterworks area to be implemented in all ships.[/quote]

I agree with DarthGrady above, Carnival is still doing the Holiday class. Stretch here, push out, or up there, weld a balcony on here, or stack this up here. Still the same ship, and that provides an economy of scale. I'm sure that the sq.ft. cost is lower this way than if they constantly reinvented the wheel.
RCL has beautiful ships and I enjoy them. BUT the prices are higher, for smaller or equal cabins. ordinary bedding, same entertainment, unremarkable food, and similar itineraries. And all because they blow a pile of money on expensive ships. I do cruise RCL, but almost exclusively repo cruises where the prices are low and the itinerary interesting. Also RCL's profit on each dollar taken in is one fourth that of Carnival. But they got some ships, fer shur.

Dan

[quote name='jessemon']I think the OP should just sail on the Spirit class or just the Pride. Every thread is about all the other ships being designed wrong except the Spirit class. [B]I hope I never get this hung up over a ship design.....[/B][/quote]

Amen! Our first cruise was on Celebration (may she RIP) and that was my favorite ship. Next came Legend and we were blown away. Victory was impressive, but a bit confusing. Researched Valor and felt right at home as soon as we boarded. Legend is still my favorite, but it hasn't taken away from my enjoyment of the sailing other classes. As a matter of fact, our next cruise will be chosen for itinerary, because we are comfortable sailing on any of Carnivals ships regardless of their class.

To suggest that just because one prefers a particular class over the rest, that the other designs are 'flawed' is more than a bit over the top IMHO. I'm just sayin'.

[quote name='Caribbean Dad']Amen! Our first cruise was on Celebration (may she RIP) and that was my favorite ship. Next came Legend and we were blown away. Victory was impressive, but a bit confusing. Researched Valor and felt right at home as soon as we boarded. Legend is still my favorite, but it hasn't taken away from my enjoyment of the sailing other classes. As a matter of fact, our next cruise will be chosen for itinerary, because we are comfortable sailing on any of Carnivals ships regardless of their class.

To suggest that just because one prefers a particular class over the rest, that the other designs are 'flawed' is more than a bit over the top IMHO. I'm just sayin'.[/quote]

In ships, design flaws cause the to sink, or in Celebrity's case the azipods to fail over and over and over .... ;)

[quote name='murcielago']The number of posts on this board has nothing to do with the number of cruises that a person has taken. Some of us here do not find it necessary to list or "show off" ( for some ), every cruise that we have taken. [/quote]

The OP has his cruise on the Pride listed in his signature. Its the only one there, so everyone is left to assume that it was his only one.

I have enjoyed the thread as well, I love a good heated debate! It would be boring around here if it weren't for the occasional controversial thread popping up.

Archived