Can you pay for an upgrade at embarkation?

FastEddy

It all depends on the cruise line. Some will allow upgrades for a small amount, but some will charge the full difference between what you paid and what you wish to upgrade to. It also depends on the person you're dealing with at the check in area. Some will do the small charge and some will ask for the full difference. It's just a roll of the dice, I guess.

On our last cruise on Disney Wonder our table mates had booked a navigator's veranda thinking it was a veranda as their TA did not explain that to them. We had almost done the same thing but fortunately our TA explained to us it was not a real balcony but a closed in area outside of the stateroom with a large picture window.

Anyway after the first night they decided to ask customer service would it be possible to upgrade-as the verandas were not sold out they were allowed to and only charged a small amount extra since they had spent the first night already in the navigator's veranda.

So you can always ask-but ofcouse if the cruise is sold out then there is no chance.

[quote name='vijoge']Every cruise I have been on has been sold out. No upgrade, no switching locations, etc.[/QUOTE]

You must always go for the most popular ships then. I don't as they are much more expensive it seems. About half of the cruises I have been on (9) were not sold out. If there is no sign posted that the cruise is sold out-go ahead and ask about an upgrade. All they can say is no.

Now we wanted to go on Mariner of the Seas-but if we had booked it for this fall we would have paid $300 a person more. So we booked it for next fall-now I fully expect that ship to sell out-it tends to go up in price as it gets closer to the cruise date and not down.

The only cruiseline I've been on, where we were able to upgrade at the pier, was RCCL... They have a special desk, just for that....And yes.... if there is something available, you will pay for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived