If you're going to put liquor in your suitcase

Aurori

I too had a bottle break a couple years ago. I had the liquor bottles packed in their boxes, as well as placed socks around them inside their boxes and to provide cushion but one broke anyway. All clothes inside and it was a bottle of rum so at least I just had to wash the clothes, however the suitcase wasn't as well off. The broken bottle did cause my luggage to be inspected as I had the little tag, they removed my TSA lock but kept it as they didn't put it back in my luggage.

Would definately have been nicer if it could have been included in our carry on's.

And i still need to take the garden hose to the suitcase itself!

You might want to consider getting rid of the suitcase. What if the drug sniffing dogs take to your suitcase because of the Kahlua residual smell, you might have a time explaining that it is the Kahlua not something else....;)

You might want to consider getting rid of the suitcase. What if the drug sniffing dogs take to your suitcase because of the Kahlua residual smell, you might have a time explaining that it is the Kahlua not something else....;)

Are you saying drug sniffing dogs could mistake my kahlua stinked bag as something illegal? :confused:

• 2 weeks later...

Ack - what a horrible surprise you encountered when you opened your suitcase.

When we sailed last month we brought home a few bottles of liquor and they all made it except for the Kahlua. The bottle didn't break but the seal did while in flight and some spilled into the suitcase. When opening the suitcase it was a very pleasant smell....but we were disappointed.

If you can salvage your suitcase - it'll smell great! That's one good thing that came out of this? (I know....grasping at straws....) :p

Miraculously, we did manage to save everything. We tossed everything washable into the laundry and let it soak for a couple days before giving it a good wash. The shoes I thought were a goner, but managed to save the leather loafers... still working on getting the oils back into the leather but im confident it'll survive. All in all we got lucky. We'll know better next time!

Yes. The luggage smells divine now :)

We had a bottle of Jameson whiskey in our luggage and the cap came off and spilled ALL over the clothes. It was strange cause it didnt break the glass at all. Good thing it was in my husband's luggage and not mine :D

I hope you wrung out the cloths into the bottle........ "Uisea Beatha" pronounced "ishka baha" (meaning in Galic "Water of Life")

I have a small (carry-on size) wheeled suitcase with the retractable handle.

Because of the structure needed for the handle, when I look at the inside of the bag, there are 3 bottle-sized "compartments" -- one between the two slots for the handle, and one on each side of the handle (between the handle slot and the wall of the suitcase.

I've found that if I take each bottle I bought (either onboard or on an island), put it in its own 2.5 gallon ziplock bag, and wrap it in an article of clothing, a bottle fits perfectly in each compartment!

I then fill the rest of the suitcase with other items (depending on size and shape, a fourth bottle may fit across the top of the first three, kind of an "E" shape), so nothing shifts around, and so there's more padding on top of the bottles (the bottom of the suitcase is rather rigid, so I don't feel the need for more padding there).

I check this bag, can't carry it on because of the security regs regarding liquids.

I've done this a number of times and haven't lost a bottle yet! (knock on wood!)

When I took my mom on a cruise that stopped in St Thomas, we went to A H Riise and she bought 5 or 6 bottles (it seemed all her neighbors put in requests!). The people in the shop told her that they would pack it properly and deliver it to the ship, and that they had a 100% success ratio (how they'd know that is beyond me). When I took her to the airport, the Midwest Airlines rep told her they had a 25% success ratio with boxes of liquor. I reminded Mom (in front of the rep) that the liquor store people said they had a 100% success ratio, and told her she had two choices: leave the box of liquor with me, or take her chances with the airline.

She checked the box.

It got home just fine.

Just my experience. Your mileage may vary. :)

Packed a bottle of Amaretto I purchased on the Imagination in my checked suitcase in April, put it in a large ziplock bag and wrapped it in clothes. It traveled well (thank you AirTran) and I enjoyed it for weeks!:D Our cruise next week is within driving distance, so I will be able to purchase more libations!:D ;)

Archived