Carnival Excursion - Cave Tubing

lvcrzn1016

I am scheduled to sail on the Legend on October 12 and heard that due to the recent accident, Carnival has halted the cave tubing excursion in Belize. Does anyone know if this is true and if it is how long it might be "off the books"? We had pre-booked this but if it going to be canceled, I want to start thinking of something else to do.

Thanks for your help!

~Kelly

Carnival hasn't given any specific day that cave tubing will resume. It is suspended pending an investigation into the recent death. Who knows how long that will take.

I would start making new plans. If you still want to do cave tubing, look into private excursion companies in Belize. There are a couple of companies that have excellent reviews on the Belize board. The Belize board also has suggestions for other excursions that can be done independently.

Keep in mind that if something goes wrong on a privately booked excursion, Carnival will not help you. If you book through Carnival, they will help in any way they can.

My wife and I have first hand experience. My wife fell at Dunn's River Falls in Jamaica and dislocated her shoulder.

Carnival held the Conquest 45 minutes so that we could make the trip from the doctor to the boat. Plus since we had booked through Carnival, there was no charge for the ship's doctor.

If we had booked privately, we would have missed the ship.

We never take the ships tours now unless we are in a country that doesn't allow you off the ship unless your booked with a ship excursion (Cartagena Columbia and I think Panama) We have always gotten best tours and the absolute best care, however you have to research, that is where the ports of call page comes in. Cave tubing in Belize was a blast, and we went with a much recommended on the POC boards, not the Carnival tours, we had the best care taken, the tour guides were awesome and someone was with us (linked together) every second, including in the caves, it was one of my favorite tours. Yhonni rocks.

I think accidents happen, and they are sad and terribly unfortunate, but we don't avoid driving because someone was killed in a tragic car accident. You need to be aware you are in a different country and research your options, we've had some perfect memories made.

Happy sailing!! Carole

Again, please visit the Belize Port of Call board (this thread will probably be moved there, anyway).

There are two main tour operators that are most often talked about over there. We went with the "major" one in May and had a great time, other than the fact that the ship excursion had a gazillion people who were cluelessly floating along and ramming into others and not wearing life vests, etc. etc.

Loved our tour operator and guides, though.

I am scheduled to sail on the Legend on October 12 and heard that due to the recent accident, Carnival has halted the cave tubing excursion in Belize. Does anyone know if this is true and if it is how long it might be "off the books"? We had pre-booked this but if it going to be canceled, I want to start thinking of something else to do.

Thanks for your help!

~Kelly

There is no way to tell when (or if) this excursion will be offered again by Carnival. IF Carnival does offer it again, the only way I would do it is IF they start linking everyone like the independent operators do.

There is no way to tell when (or if) this excursion will be offered again by Carnival. IF Carnival does offer it again, the only way I would do it is IF they start linking everyone like the independent operators do.

Thanks LHP! I totally agree. Accidents can happen anywhere but it doesn't hurt to be a little cautious.

Thanks again!

Archived