Hurricanes in Canada

Although rare, as we saw last month, hurricanes can hit the Canadian maritime provinces. I just wondered where cruise ships scheduled for ports like Halifax end up going in case of a hurricane like this last one. Were any ships diverted during that storm?

Although rare, as we saw last month, hurricanes can hit the Canadian maritime provinces. I just wondered where cruise ships scheduled for ports like Halifax end up going in case of a hurricane like this last one. Were any ships diverted during that storm?

Actually, the Maasdam diverted from Bar Harbor to Halifax to ride out the storm. It didn't turn out to be as bad as predicted except on the south shore of Nova Scotia.

Bar Harbor has no docking facilities so was not a place to be in a storm, whereas Halifax has very good, solid piers to tie to. With the notable exception of Hurrican Juan, five years ago, hurricanes aren't very powerful by the time they get here. Our main problem is usually not the wind, but the heavy rain that comes with the hurricane and that causes flooding.

You get diverted to the Caribbean with all your fall clothes!:eek: :D :eek: I have nightmares about this!

Archived