I am interested in purchasing decent Snorkel Gear. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Margery

Margery -

I would suggest visiting your local scuba shop. A good mask can make a world of difference, and they would have a good selection of decent masks (as well as snorkel and fins - because the basic scuba gear starts with mask/snorkel and fins).

What geographic area are you located?

I was abit leery but I went to www.snorkel-mart.com and bought a package. I had good luck with good prices and service. I was after a cheap set since we only use when we cruise and I think all said and done (combo set with vests) for about $75 apiece. You can email them with questions and they'll answer them suggesting ones that typically fit.

I second the scuba shop idea. we did exactly that 2 years ago when we started cruising. The mask is the key, you need the right fit and they let us try on several different styles/brands etc. Told us exactly what to look for etc. Their masks, and snorkel were good quality and not expensive. We didn't get fins too bulky to carry and we have found we never really needed them or if on a snorkel excursion the company provides them anyways.

As previous posters advised... visit a scuba shop.

A mask you buy online may not fit... there's nothing worse than having to empty a mask often!!

The most expensive isn't necessarily the best....fit is the most important factor!!

As previous posters advised... visit a scuba shop.

A mask you buy online may not fit... there's nothing worse than having to empty a mask often!!

The most expensive isn't necessarily the best....fit is the most important factor!!

That was my biggest fear when I ordered online. I emailed the site (shop) and they steered me towards a particular mask due to, in their opinion, would fit the majority of people. The masks worked great. I'm guessing if you have an unusually large or skinny face, it may be a problem but I would think it's not an issue when worn correctly.

• 2 weeks later...

Sam's Club has had Body Glove fins/mask/snorkel/bag set as a summer seasonal item for the last 5 years of so. Also have personal floatation vests (not diving vests) for sale. Check to see if they have any left (not likely by this late in the year, however).

I used snorkelcity.com with success for vest & tube. I also picked up a new mask with a digital camera built in and love it. It's made by Liquid Image and here are the specs & cost from where I made the purchase

http://www.hammacher.com/publish/75126.asp?source=Google&keyword=liquid+image&cm_ven=NewGate&cm_cat=Google&cm_pla=OtherProducts&cm_ite=liquid+image&OVMTC=Broad&site=&creative=1405142571&OVKEY=camera%20mask

Good Luck

I'm sure I'll get flamed, but my DH and I bought masks, snorkels and fins on eBay. There are a couple of brick-n-mortar dive shops that also have a "store front" on eBay. They have all the information on the equipment posted and more times than not, it's last year's models or colors that are being discontinued and sold at a discount. We live in the desert, so we don't have a lot of dive shops so this is a good option for us. We have never had a problem, and when DH's snorkel cracked in the luggage on the way home (our fault entirely), we were able to get another snorkel from the same eBay-er. We have not had a problem with fit or quality and paid a very competitive price for all the equipment bought. With eBay however YMMV.

Happy Snorkeling!

I used Leisure Pro online and couldn't have had a better experience. Not only did they have EXCELLENT prices but they have a guaranteed fit and return policy. If your mask doesn't fit right or (in our case) your spouses swim don't fit right they not only ship a new pair free of charge but pay for the return of the ones you already have. Of course they charge your card for the new pair until the old ones are received but that is to stop them from getting ripped off. They quickly credited my card once they received the old pair. And......I tracked the sending of the old pair via UPS so I knew when they got them......

• 3 weeks later...

Archived