Help me understand "Currency Conversion Authorization"

After a 3 month fight a year ago that was finally settled in my favour, I have made extra certain at check in to decline the currency conversion. Each time the agent has clicked the box that you are describing, and so far, so good.

I also photocopy my Set Sail Pass, after writing on it "Please bill me in US$; I have photocopied this form". I also tick and highlight "B". At least then I have something to send to the cc company if all else fails, as they want proof that you did ask to be billed in US$.

So Carol before I state our experience 1 1/2 weeks ago on Liberty I want to make sure who you mean by the agent. Is this the person that checks you in before embarking on the ship? So when you get there and are giddy with excitement about getting on the ship

make sure that THIS person ticks a small box on her computer screen that is often missed?

I plan on doing just what you do and highlight, circle, and photocopy just in case.

First off let me also say I love RCI but this issue really ticks me off.

1 1/2 weeks ago on Liberty as usual I had my SetSail pass with me and had noted that we wanted our account to be charged in US funds and NOT to have RCI convert to CDN.

We might not have said anything except the DH had to use Medical Services on the ship which meant we had a very high bill at the end of the cruise. (not to worry we have insurance) :) On the second last day we went to the Guest Relations to ensure that the bill would go through in US funds so our CC company could convert especially with the high rate of exchange presently for the CDN dollar and the amount of our bill.

The girl checked our account and said 'yes you are going to be charged in US funds' and gave us a copy of our bill. All looked good.

When the bill arrived at our cabin door on disembarkation morning sure enough RCI had converted it to CDN funds. Dh went back to the long line up that morning at Guest Relations and they said to him "yes that it had been charged in CDN and fixed it so it would go through in US funds.

When we arrived home DH checked out our online banking and sure enough the bill had gone through on Master Card in CDN funds.

Dh first called RCI and said that we were indeed charged in US funds and the problem is with the CC company. DH confirmed with the CC company that we were charged in CDN funds by RCI. The CC company told DH that based on the conversion rates that we were overcharged around $100. He then called C&A office back who put him through to accounting speaking with a different more kowledgable girl this time.

She confimed that RCI had converted it and gave us a credit on our CC for the difference.

So I have no clue in this whole process who or what is messing things up time and time again

We did indeed receive a credit to the CC card.

Many thanks to those who posted about a gentle (or not-so-gentle:p) reminder to the check-in agent that billing is to be done in USD.

I have NEVER had my billing done properly, and always end up at Guest Relations on the last day with bill in hand. I must also add that my Visa has always been billed in USD after the correction at the desk.

HOWEVER.....for my last 2 cruises, I have received my bill on the last day with the footnote that my currency of billing will be......get this.... British Pounds!!....off to Guest Relations again to inform them that I am Canadian.

Sometimes I think they're just messin' with me:p

I've had the same problem with Royal Caribbean, ignoring my cheak off on the automatic credit card form requesting to be billed in US$. This is why for our last three cruises this Canadian set our Seapass account as a cash one (no credit card info given) which with RC you can charge up to $500 before you have to make a payment. I imagine if you and your partner kept separate onboard account you could charge $500 each before needing to make a payment. We had a large onboard credit for our last two cruises and took no ship's tours so our account never even got close to this amount. Then you can make a cash payment or have RC swipe your card in $US to partially or fully pay off your onboard account anytime to avoid being billed in $CAD. If you still want any charges billed to your credit card (to get points, bonuses etc.) and are required to make a payment part way through the cruise just have them manually bill your outstanding balance at that time to your card. Then your account balance is zero so you will that $500 credit limit again.

Another way to do it is to give your credit card on embarkation. Then on the last full day onboard go to the pulser's/customer service desk, get your onboard account statement print out and make them bill your credit manually in US$ at that time. Since your onboard account balance will then be nil or only have any last evening expenses, make any major onboard purchases before doing this, there will be nothing or only a small amount to be automatically billed to your credit card.

Section A states "I choose to pay my onboard charges in the currency of my card. How can RCI muck that up if my card clearly states US Currency. The easiest way to check your account prior to the end of the cruise, is to ask for a statement. The statement should show in what currency your account is being charged. You can also have your TA contact RCI direclty with your request.

The problem is that RCCL doesn't use the actual currency of your credit card but the currency of the country where your card is issued thus if, as others have mentioned in this post, you have a USD Cdn issued credit card you could end up with two exchange conversions, one by RCCL to CAD and the other by your credit card back to USD if they do option A against your instruction or request not to do so.

In our experience it is only the final statement after the automatic billing has been done that will show what currency your final billing is in. All prior statements will just show your onboard charges in USD.

At least our $ isn't that much lower than the US$ so the difference will be minimal.

Yes that might not be an issue if it was just the exchange rate but RCCL adds a 3% conversion or transaction fee on top of the rate (so $1US becomes $1.03 CAD when the exchange is at par) whereas most credit card I've had charge a much lower conversion fee and some, like the current one I mainly use, charge none or give you back more in benefits that the lower than RCCL conversion rate they charge. It would cost me 2.2% more to have RCCL do the conversion to CAD than what I would pay if my credit card company did the conversion.

So Carol before I state our experience 1 1/2 weeks ago on Liberty I want to make sure who you mean by the agent. Is this the person that checks you in before embarking on the ship? So when you get there and are giddy with excitement about getting on the ship

make sure that THIS person ticks a small box on her computer screen that is often missed?

I plan on doing just what you do and highlight, circle, and photocopy just in case.

Yes, that is what I mean!;)

My understanding from multiple accounts I have read here is that it doesn't matter much what you do, which boxes you check or don't check, where you highlight, who you yell at, you will have your cc charges billed in your home currency. No matter what.

The only advice I have heard that WILL work is to set up a cash account at the start of the cruise and then pay by CC at the end.

My understanding from multiple accounts I have read here is that it doesn't matter much what you do, which boxes you check or don't check, where you highlight, who you yell at, you will have your cc charges billed in your home currency. No matter what.

The only advice I have heard that WILL work is to set up a cash account at the start of the cruise and then pay by CC at the end.

Another way that will work is to give your credit card on embarkation. Then on the last full day onboard go to the pulser's/customer service desk, get your onboard account statement print out and make them bill your credit manually in US$ at that time. Since your onboard account balance will then be nil or only have any last evening expenses (make any major onboard purchases before doing this) there will be nothing or only a small amount to be automatically billed to your credit card.

Carol ~ do you think it would be rude to ask to see her computer screen to see if she is doing it correctly LOL:D;)

Here lets check this out maybe it isn't RCCL but their check in agents that are causing the problem. LOL

I don't think so!

Here lets check this out maybe it isn't RCCL but their check in agents that are causing the problem. LOL

I don't think so!

Okay next person to go on a cruise ask the check in agent... and report back:D:D

Okay next person to go on a cruise ask the check in agent... and report back:D:D

Leaving next Tuesday on Rhapsody out of Sydney. I have ticked, highlighted, written a big 'B' in one margin and put gold stars in both margins. Will also request 'no conversion' with check-in agent and sneak a peek at what he/she does. I shall report back :cool:

• 3 weeks later...
Leaving next Tuesday on Rhapsody out of Sydney. I have ticked, highlighted, written a big 'B' in one margin and put gold stars in both margins. Will also request 'no conversion' with check-in agent and sneak a peek at what he/she does. I shall report back :cool:

Very happy and relieved to report back that Royal Caribbean DID NOT convert US$ into AU$ and left the conversion to my credit card company. I think it was all to do with check-in and what the agent entered into the little computer -- sorry, couldn't see the screen. Or maybe it was how pretty it looked with the pink & yellow h'lights and gold stars.

Very happy and relieved to report back that Royal Caribbean DID NOT convert US$ into AU$ and left the conversion to my credit card company. I think it was all to do with check-in and what the agent entered into the little computer -- sorry, couldn't see the screen. Or maybe it was how pretty it looked with the pink & yellow h'lights and gold stars.

Thanks for reporting back on your experiences... :)

• 3 weeks later...

Agreed something MUST be done to the blatant disregard for our wishes. Why do they even ask us to tick what we want to do with our bill on our SetSail pass if they are just going to do the opposite anyway. More tomorrow

I disputed the CC charge and my card issuer is attempting to retrieve the voucher (in this case I assume the check-in document) from RCI.

I assume it would be a fairly difficult task for RCI to fulfil this request. If more people start disputing their charges it may trigger RCI into fixing the process and stop ripping us off.

For the OP, pick 'B'. When you are onboard go to Guest Relations and be specific about your request. Even this is no guarantee your wishes will be complied with though. We've had the same problem in the past. RCI is not alone in doing this. On an individual basis it isn't a lot of money (depending on how much you have charged :)) but on a per sailing basis - this can be a lot of money. Another little profit centre......

Glad this topic came up as we are leaving on Sat. and I was unsure as to what options to choose! I'll choose "B" no conversion but I usually will pay off the Seapass account in US cash before we leave the ship so there are no charges going to my credit card. The Canadian dollar isn't doing that great right now.

• 4 weeks later...

I have never been asked by the check in agent, as to whether i chose a or b, Even after checking b on several cruises they still converted my balance.:rolleyes: This may be nickel and dimes to some, but our seapass account is usually way up there, which when converted amounts to a couple of hundred $$$$ and I for one would rather keep my nickel and dimes for more of those cute umbrella drinks:p

Archived