Tipping the Concierge

LimaSierra

Does anyone have a guideline for tipping the Concierge. We use him very little, but feel at a loss to be able to place our appreciation in monitary terms.

I would say go with your gut feeling. If you do not use the Concierge very much, I would tip maybe $40.00 for a 7 day cruise. The fact is even if you don't use them, they are their for your usage if anything ever does come up. We are just the opposite in that we use the Butler far less than we use the Concierge. We have found the Concierge invaulable to us on cruises. Still, we tip the butler at least $10.00 per day minimum.

I would say go with your gut feeling. If you do not use the Concierge very much, I would tip maybe $40.00 for a 7 day cruise. The fact is even if you don't use them, they are their for your usage if anything ever does come up. We are just the opposite in that we use the Butler far less than we use the Concierge. We have found the Concierge invaulable to us on cruises. Still, we tip the butler at least $10.00 per day minimum.

I agree! We just came off the Sky 4 & 3 day back to back and tipped our concierge $10 a day. The only things we had her do were dinner reservations, got us a tour of the bridge, vip tendering and reserved seats at the shows.

As for the butler, we tipped only $50 as we only requested that he keep the coffee and milk stocked and make sure we had lots of great chocolate chip cookies. We did not take advantage of the daily fruit as we weren't into to peeling when you could get a better selection of sliced fruits at Cagney's for breakfast.

We also tip our room steward $25 he was exceptional and had asked us upon arrival when the best time would be to make up room. We told him that we would be out for breakfast usually around 8 am and our room was always done by the time we got back. We even found him on his hands and knees scrubbing the bathroom floor. I think this is the first time we have ever tipped the room stewart.

Our Concierge was Virginia and she was excellent

Our Butler was Lucky quiet timid but very good

Our room steward was Edward,friendly and hard worker

I must say that out of all the 8/9 cruises we have been on with NCL the staff on the Sky in all area's was the best, they were all so courtious, extremely pleasant and they all seemed to enjoy there work.

And a special note on the CD Matt, by far the best, he is a natural.

One "must see" entertainer is Rick Purpura comedy/magic act. This guy gets a standing ovation at every show as per Matt and we wittnessed two of them.

We budget $100 (7-10 days) for the concierge - and adjust that amount at the end of the cruise depending on how much we utilize their services. Usually it ends up being more - but if we only used them for restaurant reservations and tenders it would stay at the $100. To date it has always ended up being more as we have had great service from those we have had been graced to sail with. Anca, Lisa and Ruth - very special people.

Did you tip this per person or per day? We will be cruising on the Sky tomorrow and were wondering how to figure the tips. There seem to be so many different schools of thought that I thought I would ask because your tips sound more in line with what I was thinking as far as tipping.

I agree! We just came off the Sky 4 & 3 day back to back and tipped our concierge $10 a day. The only things we had her do were dinner reservations, got us a tour of the bridge, vip tendering and reserved seats at the shows.

As for the butler, we tipped only $50 as we only requested that he keep the coffee and milk stocked and make sure we had lots of great chocolate chip cookies. We did not take advantage of the daily fruit as we weren't into to peeling when you could get a better selection of sliced fruits at Cagney's for breakfast.

Did you tip this per person or per day? We will be cruising on the Sky tomorrow and were wondering how to figure the tips. There seem to be so many different schools of thought that I thought I would ask because your tips sound more in line with what I was thinking as far as tipping.

I think average rule would be $10 per day and we gave the tips at the end of the 7 sevens, as some days we didn't need to see her and we made our dinner reservations in 2 shots. But Virginia was always made rounds at breakfast and lunch to see if everything was all right.

As for the butler, we hardly saw him at all but that was fine because he met our requests.

Have a great cruise.

Thanks Addictedtwo for the TOTALLY quick answer! I took advantage of an upsell from a balcony to a penthouse suite and thought I was just getting a different room and wasn't quite aware of all the perks. When I started reading the various gratuity threads on here, it got very confusing quickly for me and it went from either the too low to the unbelievable money wise! This will be the first time on a cruise that I will actually see the light of day from my room:p much less be able to walk outside in it so there is a lot of new things for us. I like to tip well and usually am a 20% or so for good service...but I didn't seem to see a middle ground in the gratuities. Your tipping was right about where I was thinking. Thanks again for the fast answer!:cool:

Archived