What "rookie" mistakes did you learn from?

Catrin

I think the biggest mistake I made on my first cruise was not carrying more cash. I read the Carnival site, the whole cashless thing and I bought what I thought I might spend in ports, I had never really traveled anywhere and never flown before either, I didn't quite know all the tipping stuff everywhere - porters, room service, etc.

2nd mistake was I over packed, this next one I will try to to better.

To the point of cash on board: If you use the ATM it will be a $6.00 fee as well as whatever your bank charges. It will charge for balance statements, too (I heard someone tell someone rather loudly how much it would cost for that). So be advised.

We carried cash, but I never thought about the tip for the room steward and the head waiter, and my favorite bar man in the dining room.

Fargo...

DO take a drink of the day and have your card ready for them. To be quite honest, and in my very humble opinion, it was my favorite drink special of the WHOLE CRUISE. I can't wait for the next one. I just know it will be deducted from my account.

Platinum is when you have sailed 9 cruises... your TENTH cruise you are Platinum and get all sorts of VIP privileges.

Hope that helps!

The other thing I would advise is bringing some sort of "plug outlet". :)

I did some checking on the drink, it does sound really nice. I guess one won't hurt.

Good idea about the power outlet. I think my step daughter has something for her I-Pod that plugs into a wall. There are SO many thigns to "guess" about it is amazing.

Even if we do FUBAR something, it will still be a good time. Its all part of the learning curve!

So I could ask on any ship for a Funship Special and they'd make it for me? I really really liked it.

The Funship Special is always the Drink of the Day (DOD) on embarkation day. It just doesn't seem like a cruise until I get my Funship Special! ;) Each day of the cruise, there is a different DOD. I don't like any of the others, but I love the Funship Special.

I don't know if you can get a Funship Special on other days besides embarkation day.....they usually have the DOD all mixed up in big batches so that all they have to do is pour it out into your glass. But, hey, it couldn't hurt to ask!

The Funship Special is always the Drink of the Day (DOD) on embarkation day. It just doesn't seem like a cruise until I get my Funship Special! ;) Each day of the cruise, there is a different DOD. I don't like any of the others, but I love the Funship Special.

I don't know if you can get a Funship Special on other days besides embarkation day.....they usually have the DOD all mixed up in big batches so that all they have to do is pour it out into your glass. But, hey, it couldn't hurt to ask!

Generally there is a funship special drink and or a special drink everyday of the cruise .....Yellow Bid etc just ask or look in the carnival caper .....I bring my old carnival cups with me every cruise and just get them refilled ( paying only the refill price) rather than paying for the whole cup and drink price again

Sometimes, it is easy to forget that we all were ONCE cruise newbies.....

I remember my first cruise - for the most part we were lost. Well before Cruise Critic, I didnt know about booking excursions, booking a good room, etc.

What mistakes did you make as a newbie - that you learned from - and have used that knowledge in future cruises??

For us... it was room selection. We were offered a guaranteed 4a - and scooped it up. We originally booked a 4 day Royal Caribbean, but our TA called us with this offer. When we got our cabin, we had M11 - way in the FRONT of the Ecstacy. Well, I was sick all week.

SInce then, I book middle cabins - and balconies for the fresh air!!

Maybe some of the newbies now can learn from our mistakes!

I totally agree that as rookies we make alot of mistakes. My biggest mistake was actually going through a TA and not directly through the Cruise Line- When i tried to do my E-documents (Fun Pass etc..) I had some issues and my TA really had no clue. My friend at work told me to call his PVP (it was a Carnival cruise i was going on) and he was so knowledgable about the intricate workings of the system. Then when I noticed the price drop - my TA gave me an attitude for requesting the lower fare!! I couldnt believe that. If i had went through Carnival directly i would have saved so much trouble and headache. I make sure that I use my PVP from now on .

Been proud member in VERY GOOD standing since 1992 I believe! "Fishing" was great andBest part was not having to pack rod and reel!...

Packing matching shoes for EVERY outfit I brought....Spent most of each day running back to the cabin to change into different outfits to be sure I looked like the people on Love Boat! Did this at LEAST 3 times a day! Had 1 whole suitcase FULL of shoes!

What a crazy situation that was for you. I followed along for the whole time and couldnt get over how calm and positive you stayed! Cudos to you!

We can all learn from you for sure as to patience and positive attitude!

First, thank you Catrin for posting this question. I'm sure it will be very valuable for newbies and oldtimers alike!! The biggest lesson I learned in cruising is that there is no need to pack everything including the kitchen sink! I can now do a 7 day cruise with one 22" suitcase and a small carryon. Three to 4 day cruises can be done with one 22" suitcase. I've learned to mix and match outfits and only bring 2 pairs of shoes, casual shoes and dressy shoes. My best friend, God love her, still packs shoes, accessories and everything else to match one outfit and she brings as many outfits as there are days in the cruise, and that doesn't cover the formal nights, lol! Downsizing has been the answer to a MUCH more pleasant cruise for us. The one thing I didn't learn by experience but learned here on the board is to take a powerstrip. Man, has that been an awesome addition to our travels!! I take one anytime we travel now, not just on cruises.

• 2 months later...

Just returned from my first Carnival Cruise and my first cruise in 8 years. The mistake I made on this cruise was agreeing to a meet and greet during sailaway. We had a balcony and decided to just stay there, with no regrets! But next time, will schedule the meet and greet on the 1st sea day instead!

The mistake we did was being totally lost when we got on the ship. Even knowing what was where we just so out of place. But, we quickly learned to pretty much just jump right in and let the wind carry us along.

Gettin on a ship the first time is on over powering experience, but it is so much fun once you calm down.

Don't mean to threadjack so I'll start out by saying, I made all these mistakes too but none of these mistakes ruined the enjoyment of my cruise!

Now, my 5th cruise is coming up and I booked a gty balcony for the first time. We got assigned our room (5th room from the front:eek:). We actually prefer being aft to midship, but we definitely prefer any location to forward. I don't mind so much, because the price was right and it's still a balcony! It won't spoil our cruise

Now to my question. Even though we received our stateroom number is there any chance that we can be moved/upgraded? Could we be surprised once we get to the port?

Hopefully this won't be a mistake to add to this list ;)

The Inch of Gold and Inch of Silver is junk. I stood and looked at that stuff for an hour with my ex. Ok I mostly lookesd at my watch but she had to check it out. :rolleyes:

I swear to god I could see the gold paint flaking off and her fingers turning green just handeling it a little. Thank goodness she didn't buy any, but I missed another activity I was looking forward to, standing around with hundreds of other rubes waiting to get "the best deal on the ship all week!" :mad:

I have a silver anklet from the royal carribean inch of silver and it is in perfect condition and I wear it every day for the past 2 years.

I have a silver anklet from the royal carribean inch of silver and it is in perfect condition and I wear it every day for the past 2 years.

The difference is.... that the inch of Silver is Sterling Silver... whereas the Inch of Gold is Gold Plated.

The inch of silver is overpriced compared to buying a Sterling Silver Necklace... but there are some pretty chains there.

Stay away from Inch of GOLDDDDDD...

Catrin

Not knowing about the wonderful amenities in the spa....and that usually, there's nobody using them!

Overpacking, not knowing about the laundry room. (take a roll of quarters with you....or be walking down to the pursers desk a LOT):cool:

Taking my own soda/drinks onboard. I know lots of folks do this, but to me, its just a big hassle, one more thing to carry. I've learned that I CAN survive on tea, coffee, and lemonade.

Wandering around the ship during embarkation, like everyone else. There's time to explore the ship later.....head for the spa or the hot tub instead. Chances are, you'll have it to yourself!;)

Our biggest mistake was NOT bringing DD. I cried a few times the first couple days. I had to Email her everyday (using the ships comps)...she was 5y/o. Then I had to call as soon as we got into Cozumel. Then when we got home I picked her up early from school and went right to the pet store and got her a Hamster!! (I felt really bad about leaving her...we even had taken her to Vegas) Never again will I take a trip that if something happens to her I could not be there with just a quick plane trip.

I have only sailed three times, but had a great teacher. By the time I booked my first cruise my mother had already been on 6 cruises. So she prepared me for what to expect and what to do.

After being on Cruise Critic with a previous screen name, I have learn many things from many cruisers. I learned early on to book my own excursions. When I took my mother on a Hawaiian cruise she was terrified when I started making arrangements on my own. After our first port she was hooked. She couldn't wait to see what plans I had for the other ports.

The few suggestions that I have is to register on a roll call to know others that are going to be on your cruise. It can make you friends from around the world.

Make sure that you take several memory cards for your camera and have them with you. Our memory card became corrupt just before our glacier helicopter flight. We managed to buy a new one, but it cost us $150 in Skagway. :eek: And yes we managed to buy some software to obtain the pictures on the corrupted memory card.

I love sea days. I make sure that every cruise must have a sea day. Otherwise it is just too crazy with no time to relax and enjoy the ship.

deb :p

I joined cc before our 1st sailing so I knew what to expect but we headed to the spa on rci to book a massage i had read so much about (starts with an R but cant think of the name now) where you and you spouse get to massage each other trying different lotions, salts, etc. in a private room, anyway booked our appointment for couples and when we show up its a class teaching you how to give a massage and 20 other couples around. I really wanted to turn around and leave.

I also still use a travel agent most of the time and this time its driving me insane. I emailed her Thanksgiving to change cabins and add my sister and she hasnt done either yet. She also missed out on a price drop i emailed her about. I giving her til Wed to get this done if not im going to try to turn it over to Carnival.

Wanda

I have learned to pack less. My goal is to pack less each cruise until I am able to take only a single mid size case. I am almost there.

Me too. Our first cruise was in August and all that packing and extra pounds in the suitcase(s) was not a problem until we disembarked. Exhausted and sad to be going home, I struggled with the weight of those bags (sometimes dragging them) all the way to the car. :( Next cruise, I am definitely going with ONE bag, and my carry-on will be bare minimum!! :)

I'm so thankful for cruise critic because I know we would have have way more "darn!" moments were it not for everyone's advice!

The one mistake I've made (on BOTH cruises, still learning!) is to get some rest before going on the cruise. Before each one I was running around crazy for work and then getting cruise ready that I know my body was already worn out before getting on the boat! I got terribly sick the end of the last cruise and was out of work for a week and a half after the cruise. So lesson learned, slow down a bit before vacation!

Archived