Help with helicopter decision please

atv girl

I have 3 options all of which I seen rec. on the boards.I`m wanting to know is it worth the extra 125.00 for another 20-30 min on the tour. These are my options.

ERA- 40 min flight

20 min glacier landing $ 265

1hr transport

TEMPSCO pilots choice

50 min flight

2 glacier landings total time 30 min $369

did not say transport time

COASTAL Icefield excursion

40 min flight

15-20 min glacier landing $245

Coastal adventure tour

70 min flight time $370

15-20 min glacier landing

Also would you feel comfortible paying in full with the state of the economy,with the way lot of long time business`s are going under.

Is there ever a chance of booking these last minute?

Thanks for your insight

I have 3 options all of which I seen rec. on the boards.I`m wanting to know is it worth the extra 125.00 for another 20-30 min on the tour. These are my options.

ERA- 40 min flight

20 min glacier landing $ 265

1hr transport

TEMPSCO pilots choice

50 min flight

COASTAL Icefield excursion

40 min flight

15-20 min glacier landing $245

Coastal adventure tour

70 min flight time $370

15-20 min glacier landing

Also would you feel comfortible paying in full with the state of the economy,with the way lot of long time business`s are going under.

Is there ever a chance of booking these last minute?

Thanks for your insight

I can't be a lot of help, but my two sisters went on the Pilot's Choice tour and absolutely loved it. My sisters went back and forth on this one between the shorter, less expensive tour and this one. They loved the two landings and had nothing but good to say about this trip.

I would be okay paying ahead if I paid with my credit card. I think you have some time yet. My sisters booked early Spring. They did go through the cruiseline, because the time worked out better. They were taking an independent tour in the morning and it conflicted with the time going direct with the vendor. At one point, as we got closer to our trip, they did call the vendor about taking the shorter tour and they said they had no openings. So, they stayed with the Pilot's Choice and were very happy with it. It was a real highlight for them.

With the economy, who knows how it will affect the travel industry next year. However, it has often been posted on this board to book helicopter tours ahead of time.

All of these companies are long established. I have done both helicopter tours, IF the money does not impact upon giving up other touring, then the double landing/longer tour is excellent. :) I also have flown with all three companies, I found ERA to be the most "shuttle" like on a more fixed routing and tightly scheduled. They also are the ship contractor, where in the past they did not book independents, but apparently do now? Their location does not allow a Mendenhall drop off, or cheap cab ride there. The other two operators are out by the airport/Mendenhall, where it is a short cab ride or perhaps a drop off available? Also best for the combo whale watch/flights touring.

DW and I went glacier trekking with Northstar Trekking last June and this was our favorite excursion in an excursion filled vacation. Their staff was very professional, knowledgeable, friendly, and totally committed to our safety. We've not experienced the other company's and I'm not trying to cloud your choices but if you've not checked out Northstar it may be worth your time to visit their web-site.

www.glaciertrekking.com

Marie, I`m a little nutty about animals, I know its what they love to do is work, and all dogs need a job, [before I get blasted]. But personally i would feel sad seeing them there in their little houses chained up. Just waiting for people to come love on them.Thanks for the info I have heard alot of people who enjoy it.I could`nt even watch the movie 8 below.

We did the X-Trek with Northstar Trekking a couple weeks ago and LOVED IT... it was the highlight of the 2 week trip. We had a 10:30 departure time, but due to the fog (they could fly, but didn't want to) we rescheduled to 12:30. It was amazing. A little bit pricy, but you get to explore the glacier and really take in the geography of it, rather than fly around it, land snap some pictures and fly off. Worth every penny.

Shevais, do you need to be real fit to do this, I walk on the threadmill 4-5 days for 30-45 min, but not alot of hiking experience and dh has a physical job but not real fit. do you remember a price I`ve emailed them, but nothing yet.

Another question? I think right now coastal is the only one booking for 09, is it foolish to wait to Jan. do these tours get all booked?I`m just trying to get as much paid for before christmas comes,I want the whole trip paid in full before I go so I can just enjoy it all.

Shevais, do you need to be real fit to do this, I walk on the threadmill 4-5 days for 30-45 min, but not alot of hiking experience and dh has a physical job but not real fit. do you remember a price I`ve emailed them, but nothing yet.

Another question? I think right now coastal is the only one booking for 09, is it foolish to wait to Jan. do these tours get all booked?I`m just trying to get as much paid for before christmas comes,I want the whole trip paid in full before I go so I can just enjoy it all.

You don't have to be a "mountain climber" but hopefully you have no mobility limitations?? I only recommend the longest trek, although it sounds highly involved. The short ones just are over way too quickly and you barely have time for much of anything.

Yes, I will speculate you can safely wait until January to book. But consider asking about availability now and check back occasionly, especially, if you have chosen a single tour/operator and am not flexable with the choices.

You don't have to be a "mountain climber" but hopefully you have no mobility limitations?? I only recommend the longest trek, although it sounds highly involved. The short ones just are over way too quickly and you barely have time for much of anything.

Yes, I will speculate you can safely wait until January to book. But consider asking about availability now and check back occasionly, especially, if you have chosen a single tour/operator and am not flexable with the choices.

No we don`t have limits, I was thinking the longer trek was better, but I was chepin out dh is over the weight limit and we need to pay extra for that, so just trying to wrap my wallet around about 900 for 1 excursion.I felt 20 min would go very fast also. thanks for the help. I will prob wait a few months to book. tempsco is`nt booking till Jan. not sure about ERA or Northstar, coastal is the only one booking now I think. we`re in Juneo I believe 8am to 9pm, so we should not be too limited on time. anything else we do there will be very inexspensive.

You do not have to be super fit at all. I consider us to be fit, but not real fit. You'll be fine. You have to have no mobility limitations though as there's a lot of twisting and turning and the like. But they work with the ability level of the group. We did a bit of rappelling (was lowered) and vertical wall ice climbing, but that's because our group asked for it. Make no mistake we were a bit tired that night, but well worth it. If I remember correctly it was about $1K said and done for the two of us. Worth every penny. We booked our late sept tour in the first week in August and the other couple that went with us booked in mid to late august. You should have no problem.

ATV Girl,

I agree with BQ regarding taking the longest trip you can. We chose the level 2 trip only because we had reservations to go zip-lining in the afternoon. DW and I both wished we'd have had more time exploring the glacier.

Regarding when to book to get the time slot you want I wouldn't worry to much. I made our reservation with Northstar on January 14 for our trip on June 23 last year and our group still had openings when we went. Enjoy! :)

TEMPSCO pilots choice

50 min flight

We did the TEMSCO Pilot's choice 2 landing and LOVED IT! We booked it independently from the ship. (I didn't realize until after I booked it that we were only saving $12 each by booking it independently.) They did pick us up in downtown Juneau, took us to the heliport and took us back to downtown afterward. If I remember right, the time from downtown to the heliport was approx 20 minutes each way.

All we had to do was grab the shuttle from the ship to downtown ($3 or $5 each...I can't remember) We really wanted the earliest tour, but it was sold out by the cruiseline. Which in the end, worked great for us because the early tour was cancelled due to weather. That tour alone made my husband and I decide we will definately do another Alaska cruise sometime soon.

Granted I have nothing to compare it with, but we were VERY pleased with the tour, the pilot, and their overall service.

Oh...and btw...I booked our tour in mid-August for our cruise in the first week of September.

Mszkitty, thanks for your input thats the one my friend did also, I`m trying to decide between them and northstar treking. Il l probable go with northstar their upcharge for additional weight is only 108 instead of 50% more, and dh is over the limit. so thats a pretty big savings, and you still get 1hr on the glacier.

Archived