If you want 100 shares of Carnival stock

DqALEX

I'm going to take a stab with a totally random guess on this one. Let's assume that CCL only has one single person assigned to this shareholder benefits task, and not multiple people within that particular office. For the sake of the story, we'll call her Kim. Perhaps Kim's office also includes all the re-bookings being made on sailings cancelled/adjusted by CCL (i.e. Freedom, Liberty, Ike's itinerary revisions, and drydock oopses*). Perhaps they share the same fax machine, and are having to take care of details based on the departure date of the sailings rather than the date of a fax actually arriving in their office. I think many of us (self included) who've recently had more work on our plate than we can actually handle can certainly be empathetic with someone like our story character, Kim. I'm thinking they'll get to all these requests in time, just perhaps a bit slower than was normal in the past.

**Yes, of course, 'oopses' is really a word. The legal dictionary people just haven't picked

up on that yet.

Thanks.... I didn't realize Kim was the only one in her area.... I sent another email this morning and she had it credited this afternoon. I keep thinking too that maybe she didn't receive the one I sent last week. She is always so quick to respond.

Did anyone get in on the dip today? I got some @ $22.77. Not planning on keeping it for long though.

The thing that ticks me off about today is the announcement of no 2009 dividends. They did that with or before of the announcement of 40 cents for Q4. That is roughly 10% higher than what was projected. That would of made the stock go up some and given people (me! lol) a chance to dump a few shares at a better price. It's like they tanked their stock on purpose.

sure enough in My Docs my $100 popped up - very nice - now if we can get oil to stay below $70 we can get that added too (didn't necessarily want to be a long term shareholder, as i bought minutes before the plunge, but it looks like the sell-off was overdone and it bounced back a little by the end of the day yesterday):D

sure enough in My Docs my $100 popped up - very nice - now if we can get oil to stay below $70 we can get that added too (didn't necessarily want to be a long term shareholder, as i bought minutes before the plunge, but it looks like the sell-off was overdone and it bounced back a little by the end of the day yesterday):D

I agree. Yesterday could have been a whole lot worse

Don't feel bad. I bought 101 shares at $41.00.

I bought 100 shares at $41/share, and paid my broker's office almost $100 in fees, so it cost me almost $42/share! (Now I'm using Scottrade, thanks to help from a member on this board.) I added 25 shares at $28.05 and am looking to add 75 more at, hopefully, about $23 or thereabouts. (Dollar Cost Averaging to help "stomach" the $41 I initially paid for 100 shares!) Think it will hit $23?

Betty

Think it will hit $23?

Betty

I hope to heck not, even its it's new average is $25-27 I think I can stomach that. I'm like DQAlex, I have shares a lot higher at 37.89 and I have a crapload of them. And now that I'm not getting the $6400 a year in dividends it would be ideal if it could go up a little bit.

Question...Is there a way to see if the shareholder credit has been applied to a 9/09 cruise, that hasn't been paid in full yet? Or do I just have to wait. I see Kim has applied the credit for my b2b cruises, in Dec.

Thanks,

JoAnn

Question...Is there a way to see if the shareholder credit has been applied to a 9/09 cruise, that hasn't been paid in full yet? Or do I just have to wait. I see Kim has applied the credit for my b2b cruises, in Dec.

Thanks,

JoAnn

JoAnn I would give them a call and check. Its always a good idea to call Carnival

Thanks,

JoAnn

Unless they have changed, I was told not to even send the information until final payment has been made. That's what I have done for years, anyway.

Unless they have changed, I was told not to even send the information until final payment has been made. That's what I have done for years, anyway.

We had 3 cruises booked. The first two were paid in full and the last one only had a deposit.

I sent the stock info to them a few weeks ago and they gave us the OBC on all 3 cruises.

Mark

I emailed Kim today and this is her reply............

"I was able to apply the onboard credits to your Dec sailings however we are only applying the obc to sailings up to July 31, 2009. Please resubmit your brokerage information next year. I would try again in April; hopefully they will have extended the dates by then".

JoAnn

I emailed Kim today and this is her reply............

"I was able to apply the onboard credits to your Dec sailings however we are only applying the obc to sailings up to July 31, 2009. Please resubmit your brokerage information next year. I would try again in April; hopefully they will have extended the dates by then".

JoAnn

Thanks for posting that. I have a cruise in August on the Pride I have to send in. Now I know to wait

While it is nice to get the $100 on board credit, the price of the shares you purchase may go down! I bought at $28.12 - so far lost $500 to get that $100 credit. Unless you are a longer term investor and want to hold these shares, be careful just going out and buying them. Someone downgraded CCL to a sell today (don't have the info, on yahoo message board).

While it is nice to get the $100 on board credit, the price of the shares you purchase may go down! I bought at $28.12 - so far lost $500 to get that $100 credit. Unless you are a longer term investor and want to hold these shares, be careful just going out and buying them. Someone downgraded CCL to a sell today (don't have the info, on yahoo message board).

The entire stock market is really difficult to imagine if you are not holding shares.

CCL has suspended dividends, that really hurts the Widows and orphan crowd, and at the same time the market is reacting badly to the Election.

CCL has to worry that they will have too many ships, with less people able to afford a cruise.

However, the price of OIL is going down, and they barely pay their employees...

It is a tough call right now. My mother told me not to try and catch a falling knife. 100 shares does seem like a good deal at less than half the 52 week high (which was $46.20).

It all comes down to how well they can manage on a smaller number of cruisers.

When I saw it go down to $21.66 a share today I tried to buy mine. Unfortunately the market was closed and I didn't want to do after hours trading. So tomorrow will be the big day for me. I'll put a limit of $22 on and I figure at that price I will not lose.

I noticed on market watch that it's still a neutral so I'm going with that.

Please tell me more. Must I buy at least 100 shares to get any on board credit?

Hiow do I go about buying it? (As youcan tell,I'm not experienced at this.)

\Gale

Cool. I may buy a hundred for my DD! It's all about the OBC for us!

When I saw it go down to $21.66 a share today I tried to buy mine. Unfortunately the market was closed and I didn't want to do after hours trading. So tomorrow will be the big day for me. I'll put a limit of $22 on and I figure at that price I will not lose.

I noticed on market watch that it's still a neutral so I'm going with that.

I find your comment about not losing on a purchase at $22/share interesting given that the OP started this thread just over a month ago announcing the great news that shares were only $32.74! The cruiselines are being hammered with cancellations and that has resulted in the deep sales we are currently seeing. Even with a dramatic reduction in the cost of fuel, the immediate outlook for cruiselines is not good and margins will suffer throughout the winter and into the spring at the minimum. If you plan to hold your stock, then it will likely work out for you but not before we see a much lower valuation in the stock price for CCL or any other cruiseline.

This question might well have already been answered in this 23 page thread, but I don't have time to hunt for it, and the search isn't working for me. I have never bought stocks before. Is there a 100 share minimum to purchase, or can you buy, say 50 shares this month and 50 shares next month? Do you go through a broker or directly through Carnival? Total newbie to the stock market here...... :o

This question might well have already been answered in this 23 page thread, but I don't have time to hunt for it, and the search isn't working for me. I have never bought stocks before. Is there a 100 share minimum to purchase, or can you buy, say 50 shares this month and 50 shares next month? Do you go through a broker or directly through Carnival? Total newbie to the stock market here...... :o

You can buy shares in any amount you want to but you have to pay a commission regardless of the number of shares. The normal lot is 100 shares but you can by 1, 10, 50, whatever.

You also have to use a broker, you don't go through Carnival.

There are a bunch of brokers out there (ameritrade, fidelity, Bank of America, Stockbuilder, schwab etc.) A lot of them charge $9.95 per trade. Some charge more, some charge less.

Mark

Archived