Docking in Budapest?

dixieagle

We are excited beyond words that we are confirmed in Cabin 206 on the Viking Europe, March 20, Eastern European Odyssey. We would have preferred a somewhat different itinerary, but there are constraints upon when vacation can be taken (hubby is a TV news anchor hemmed in by ratings periods, etc.) and this does sound fascinating. We're doing our own flights, arriving in Budapest the day before the cruise leaves. Can anyone tell us where Viking docks in Budapest? We want to pick out a hotel close by, if possible. We'd love hotel suggestions, as well.

We also welcome any other insights, tips, advice you may have. We've traveled through Western Europe several times, but this is all new to us, and we can't wait. I'm sure I'll have more questions. Thanks!

Marie

We are excited beyond words that we are confirmed in Cabin 206 on the Viking Europe, March 20, Eastern European Odyssey. We would have preferred a somewhat different itinerary, but there are constraints upon when vacation can be taken (hubby is a TV news anchor hemmed in by ratings periods, etc.) and this does sound fascinating. We're doing our own flights, arriving in Budapest the day before the cruise leaves. Can anyone tell us where Viking docks in Budapest? We want to pick out a hotel close by, if possible. We'd love hotel suggestions, as well.

We also welcome any other insights, tips, advice you may have. We've traveled through Western Europe several times, but this is all new to us, and we can't wait. I'm sure I'll have more questions. Thanks!

Marie

I don't know if they always dock the same place. But I can tell you about our experience. We took a taxi from the Hilton (across the river, on top of the hill) to the Riverboat terminal. Unloaded, went inside and discovered Viking was another 1/2 mile, or so, down stream (East). Fortunately, we were able to catch one of our two cabs, as he was pulling away. So don't let your taxi go, until you see the boat. There was no terminal, where Viking was docked.

I would recommend the Hilton Budapest and the area around it. Although we can't compare it to any other hotels. We spent three days, before the cruise, and really enjoyed it. You will love Viking.

We are planning that cruise next year. Please give us a report, when you return.

Marie,

I am not sure where the Viking boat will dock, but most dock on the Pest side. We spent four days in Budapest this summer prior to our Avalon cruise. We stayed in the Sofitel Atrium which is on Roosevelt Ter next to the Chain Bridge. Next door was the Inter-Continental, and a block down was the Marriot. The Pest side is where where a majority of the "action" is, such as restaurants, shops, the pedestrian way, the big market place, etc. If you like to get out and see the city, I think you would like this area better than the Buda side, which you can see on a day visit or two. If you like walks to see the city, check out the Frommer's guide book. We loved Budapest and can not wait to gio back.

Dennis

Thanks for the info. We have booked a room at the Hotel Victoria, on the Buda side but right on the Danube with an apparently wonderful view of Pest across the river. We love walking, so won't mind crossing bridges to check out Pest, which I understand is wonderful. We'll have from early Saturday afternoon until the ship leaves sometime Sunday.

• 2 weeks later...

We took a cruise from Bucharest to Budapest this October, spending several days extra at both ends. Viking is normally nestled just south of the Szabadsan Bridge on the Pest side, close to the city market and walking street, but it depends on which other ships are in port. There were 6 when we were in port.

Your hotel should be fine, because there are trams which travel along the Buda side and some cross the river. We stayed at the Burg Hotel near the Hilton in the Castle district (paid $115 per night incl taxes and breakfast), bought a 3-day pass, caught a bus directly in front on the hotel, and traveled everywhere by tram, bus or metro. We stayed at the Hilton in the mid 80's and it is very nice.

As CLapple says, take a taxi to the ship and as you near the ships, eyeball your ship and find a place to pull over. There is no terminal as such, but you really won't have a problem. We caught a taxi FROM the ship and the taxi simply pulled over on the street to pick us up.

If you have time, I'd recommend you stay longer in Budapest, but you sound time constrained.

If you're interested, I just posted our trip summary on my website, which may give you some ideas. Look under Balkans Oct 2004 (there's also an album with same name on left side of the webpage). http://ettel.*****.com

Archived