Crown Bay

elmorejj

On checking the ***** web site, I notice that almost all HAL ships are docking at Crown Bay. I haven`t been there in 4 or 5 years and had heard that they were building a shopping center similar to Havensite there. Anyone docked there recently? Is there anything at all there that is new? or is it just like it was in the past?.....jean :cool:

Was there March 04, not really recently, but it was the same old hole-in-the-wall pier. Nothing new going on. Too far to walk into town. Have heard the same story, big things will be happening "soon". No evidence of that happening on 3/04 cruise. Was not worth the cost of cab fare for us, since we have been there many times. Don't recall the fare.

Happy cruising....

I have done some searchs on the web and cannot find anything new on building a shopping area at Crown Bay. Anything out there is old.

I think it is better than having to anchor. A couple of years ago the ship anchored in the inner harbor and it was horrible. Immigration cleared all the docked ships first. It took forever to get our ship cleared. Immigration would not allow any tenders to leave until the entire ship was cleared. Some pax did not get on shore till close to noon and they were waiting with tender passes since early in the morning. There was a lot of grumbling in the lounges that night. Lots of pax had problems with private excursions since they were hours late getting on shore.

Anchoring in the deep water harbor is even worse. It takes forever to get into town on the tender. I have done this 5 times on the Norway and believe me this is the worst.

The advantage of Crown Bay (sub base) is the traffic is much better to and from Charlotte Amalie. It is also much better for those that have a problem walking since the cabs will drop you off at the ship. At Havensight, some of the cabs will not drop you off at the ship and if you are docked at the very end of the pier, people who have problems walking, have a good walk just to get back on the ship.

The stores at Havensight are the same as the stores in town so you don't have to take a cab to Havensight just to shop. The cost of the cab might be a dollar or two more to Charlotte Amalie, but when you spend money for a cruise why worry about a couple of dollars?

Not every port in the Caribbean looks like Havensight. Many are industrial and I am thankful when the ship can dock rather than tender.

Just wondering why, Sail. I would think docking at CB and then getting right off the ship and taking a cab to wherever you were headed such as Havensight or a beach would be a heck of a lot faster than taking a tender. With a tender there's always a risk you might not get ashore at all if seas get too rough and it can take awhile to get on a tender to begin with and then take the tender ride.

CB may not have anything there attractive as a port destination itself, but isn't it faster to cab out of there to enjoy the rest of the island than it is to tender. JMO and I'm sure you have a reason for feeling the opposite.

There are just too many times, however, that a ship could dock at a port, but the sea was too rough for tendering. In that case pax would miss the port completely. We almost missed Key West because of terribly rough seas when tendering really was dangerous, yet the ships that had booked the docks had no problem. And we all are familiar with the tendering situation at HMC when so many ships cannot tender their pax to the island.

I would rather take a cab from CB to CA anyday than take a chance and miss STT completely because we were anchored. Of course that is just me.

Exactly how 'remote' is CB and how long does it take to get to Charlotte Amalie from there?

Crown Bay is not the preferred pier. It appears that if there are more than three ships at a time in Charlotte Amalie, the largest three dock at Havensight. The exception is the Queen Mary which I believe is too big to dock so it anchors. There is NOTHING within walking distance of Crown Bay. I was on a Zaandam- E Caribbean cruise that docked there once. One piece of advise ... if you wish to go to St. John, you can take a taxi to the downtown Charlotte Amalie for the every two hour or so ferry to Cruz Bay and avoid the 25-30 minute nauseating drive to Red Hook. I don't think too many people are aware of this ferry as the time I took it there were only ten other people on board. It takes 45 minutes. There are departures at 9:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. with the last returns at 2:15 p.m. and 3:45 p.m. All in all, though, Crown Bay is undesirable (and that's being polite).

Last Dec. on the Zuiderdam we anchored and tendered right into Charlotte Amalie - very convenient, no need for a cab. I prefer anchoring over a remote pier any day.

I don't consider Crown Bay remote. I do agree there is nothing in the area and Havensight would be the choice for those that just want to walk around the pier. It is a very short drive into Charlotte Amalie and no big deal.

Anchoring may be ok for those who are in suites and have a priority tender pass and also those who do not have a full day planned and don't want to get off until late. I think the majority of pax plan full days. Anchoring can cut way back on your port time. I think many pax plan on getting off the ship around 8:00. If you anchor, you have to fight the crowd to get a tender pass, hang around lounges, and you are at the mercy of immigration. On my cruise the first tender leaving for Charlotte Amalie did not leave until AFTER 10:00. Give me Crown Bay anyday over tendering.

Crown Bay is not the "end of the world". It is remote and does not have the malls that Havensite has. However, it is close to some very nice beaches and the cab ride is not so bad. Also, not many ships will dock at Crown Bay and it won't be nearly as crowded as Havensite. Don't get me wrong, I would prefer the Havensite dock.

People booked in deluxe suites have preferential boarding on tenders. That may be why others prefer to tender into Charlotte Amalie.

All my past cruises have docked at Havensight. I have not been able to find much information on Crown Bay. Can anyone tell me how safe is Crown Bay for two women traveling alone? I'm traveling with my elderly mother who uses a cane for ambulatory assistance. Are there enough taxis at CB? Is it safe? I've always felt very safe at Havensight. I'll be very grateful for your honest answer on this. Thanks,

AlinaMaria

It is an industrial port and there are no shops around the pier. There is nothing there.

Yes it is safe. There will be plenty of taxis at Crown Bay.

At Crown Bay the taxis take you right to your ship when you return.

This might be much better for your Mom since you mentioned she uses a cane.

At Havensight they won't take you to your ship but drop you off around the shops. If your ship were docked at the end of the pier is a long walk for someone that needs a cane. I have been told there were shuttles to take you to your ship at Havensight, but I have never seen one.

Gizmo- I don't think we still have gotten a stated reason as to objecting to CB vs. tendering. But, as a very experienced cruiser would you say that ranking the 3 options available in STT for easiest and fastest access to shopping and touring probably would be:

1. Dock at Havensight

2. Dock at Crown Bay

3. Anchor and tender

Peaches, I agree, except if you have walking difficulties or are traveling with someone who has walking difficulties and the ship is docked at the end of the pier at Havensight. In that case CB is better.

No Crown Bay is not closer.

There are two water/taxi ferries to St.Johns. One leaves from Red Hook and the other leaves from Charlotte Amalie. I believe most people use Red Hook.

The map will show you were every thing is.

On this map you will see sub base, otherwise known as Crown Bay.

http://www.st-thomas.com/week/stt-island-map.html

Click on the map to enlarge it and you will see Sub Base.

It depends on where you click, as to which part of the map enlarges. This might work also.

http://www.st-thomas.com/week/images/island-town.gif

Archived