passport question

Toni12345

Need passport info please. Going on western carribean in Aug. never got a passport for the last cruise to eastern carribean I read on the passport site I'd need 1. Does anyone know how long it usually takes and if it's still $100? what's the difference in the card/book? Thank you

When I got my passport it took 21 days.....

I think the total was around $100. My BF got the passport and card. The card is not good if you fly out/in country, so it's best to get the passport... my BF got the card only because he loves eagles and there was one on it.:rolleyes:

Need passport info please. Going on western carribean in Aug. never got a passport for the last cruise to eastern carribean I read on the passport site I'd need 1. Does anyone know how long it usually takes and if it's still $100? what's the difference in the card/book? Thank you
Toni, your Legend cruise does not require a passport; you can still use just the BC/DL you have been using, if you still wish. The passport book is a regular passport, still about $100, only takes about 2 weeks from when you apply. The passport card does not get you anything more than your BC/DL does, so would not recommend you get that. If you are going to spend the money, get the full passport. As always, be reminded that you cannot fly home mid-cruise without a passport, but since you have been cruising without a passport, you should already know that. (Don't spend a lot on trip interruption insurance, either!)

LAND AND SEA TRAVEL

The following summarizes information available on the Department of Homeland Security’s website.

CURRENTLY:

U.S. citizens need to present either (a) a passport, passport card (scheduled to be in full production beginning in July 2008), or WHTI-compliant document; or (b) a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license, along with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate.

LATER:

On June 1, 2009, the U.S. government will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI. The proposed rules require most U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have a passport, passport card, or WHTI-compliant document.

I got that from this link http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html from state.gov

My husband and I just applied for our passports last month and we got both of them back in nine days.

I kept going back and forth between getting one or not getting one and I decided the $200 was worth the less hassle there will be by not having to carry around all kinds of papers....Plus, passports are a little more secure against identity theft than is a birth certificate.

My husband and I just applied for our passports last month and we got both of them back in nine days.

I kept going back and forth between getting one or not getting one and I decided the $200 was worth the less hassle there will be by not having to carry around all kinds of papers....Plus, passports are a little more secure against identity theft than is a birth certificate.

I would not travel without a Passport. If you need to fly back to the United States you will need one. Also they are great ID for the DMV. Even if I stopped cruising I would still renew it

LAND AND SEA TRAVEL

The following summarizes information available on the Department of Homeland Security’s website.

CURRENTLY:

U.S. citizens need to present either (a) a passport, passport card (scheduled to be in full production beginning in July 2008), or WHTI-compliant document; or (b) a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license, along with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate.

LATER:

On June 1, 2009, the U.S. government will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI. The proposed rules require most U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have a passport, passport card, or WHTI-compliant document.

I got that from this link http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html from state.gov

You left this part off of your post.

Note: The passport requirement does NOT apply to U.S. citizens traveling to or returning directly from a U.S. territory.

Just wanted to add that part so no one gets confused. ;)

LAND AND SEA TRAVEL

CURRENTLY:

LATER:

And the important part left out :

Cruise Passengers

U.S. and Canadian citizens arriving on cruises from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, or the Caribbean will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of identity and citizenship, such as a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. View complete list of acceptable documents at CBP.gov.

Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport when you dock at a foreign port, depending on the islands or countries that your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruiseline to ensure you have the appropriate documents for the stops you’ll be making on your cruise

Archived